a radical idea: call all the USMNT players home

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    take MLS up a notch ( or two), pay them well, and it is win-win. It will be expensive and not every player will come home. But it is time for a radical MLS/USMNT play.
    The Euro-bench is killing the USMNT and MLS could use the exposure/quality USA players. It is like a Manhattan project for MLS/USMNT.

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a more radical idea, take all of our European-based players and place them in the Mexican league.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we did this in 1996 to launch MLS. We could do it again!

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better would be for a Coca Cola Championship team to try and get as many USMNT players as possible and see how far in the EPL they can get. That would be epic. Nothing will save the MLS.

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    This is extremely suspicious...and more in the Adu case...The kid score few goals and is sent to ride the pine...Something is going on here...The Euro dream is becoming more the destruction of young American dreams of play at high level

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    We need to develop players with more COJONES like Michael Bradley OR I FOOKING PLAY OR GET MY SHITT OUR OF HERE MUTTA FUCCKAA...:D

8. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    how about nothing called "project"

9. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah there are many americans sitting on the bench, but so is Brazil. We should send even more players overseas. They won't all sit. Some of them are bound to get playing time.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if we made a big effort, many would come home.Those that are doing great in Europe won't. And that is fine.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was unaware MLS needed saving...

12. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of issues immediately come to mind.

1. Where is this money that we're going to use to entice these players from Europe going to come from?

2. What would the MLS offer - other than playing time - to offset the benefit of training with and playing against some of the world's best players in some of the world's best leagues?

3. Would bringing this collection of players back from Europe really improve the quality of MLS play? Will the games be nearly as competitive (and, therefore, drive individual player improvement) as those offered elsewhere?

I agree that having a bunch of players riding pine at big name clubs in big time leagues isn't very helpful BUT there is a lot gained on non-match days.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    zero is gained by sitting on the bench of even the best clubs. Gooch looked as stale as 2 week old bread. He got turned in the last game like a grilled cheese sandwich.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that is a good question.

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering most players in this cycle have played or play in MLS, I'm pretty sure there's not much more they can do. Now I can agree that playing is better than riding the pine. But most of our Euroballers either get playing time or are in serious contention for playing time.

16. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Ok - let's grab a random example. Would Jonathon Spector be a better player if he was at Colorado instead of West Ham? I don't see any way he would be.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I do. In fact he might be a lot better if he was playing more than once in a while.

18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Players like Beasley and Johnson will most likely be back whenever their more lucrative current contracts expire. And, like the first post said, guys like Dempsey and Boca who are getting playing time at respectable Euro levels are certainly not going to "answer the MLS call" unless something like insane Beckham level money is offered, and that's not happening.

Seems like this "radical idea" is pretty much already in place.

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

David Beckham seems to be collecting a lot of money.

Fat lot of good that has done for the NT. And they're not "playing against" anyone if they're sitting on the bench.

So you're admitting they can get the same level of play in MLS that they would in Europe. Great! Bring them all back.

A theory that hasn't held water after nearly a decade of really applying this strategy and not reaping much reward.

20. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is something to be said for training 5-6 days each week with some of the best in the world, even if you're playing irregularly.

Gooch's (and now Spector's) situation is a little unusual since he is not playing at all, really, whereas several of our players in Europe play regularly.

Many of these guys play reserve squad games, as well.

I think it comes down to this pros/cons analysis:
    - train in Europe w/ quality players but don't play a lot
    - play every minute of every game in the MLS but train against players that don't challenge you to dramatically improve

Which is better?

21. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it is unrealistic to expect everyone to earn that kind of salary. David Beckham is a non-soccer name brand that commands international attention for not just being a soccer star. It's easy to endorse someone like that. The average American and potential investing companies probably don't even know who Jonathan Spector is nor would they be willing to sign him and other similar US players abroad to lucrative endorsement deals that provide that Beckham-sized salary.

22. El_Numero_10

El_Numero_10 Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im thinking it would work but I dont know about how many we can bring back. I dont think its a bad idea I remind everyone Landon Donovan plays in the US and when he plays in the national level he still tears any opposition up

23. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    We're ranked #11 in the world, and it seems pretty much right. So obviously the every man for himself strategy is working pretty well.

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I'm just saying there's money out there if we raise the salary cap. I have said in the past there's a right way to raise the cap, but bringing home American players for a World Cup year is a good rationale to drastically inject large amounts of money into the player pool.

Some of them are not. And you politely ignored the other sentence preceding it. Americans abroad have typically not performed so much better than our domestic talent to the point of saying the European game is more beneficial to the national team.

So Blanco and Angel haven't been good for the American game? Those are players past their prime, what about players who are in their prime or coming into the prime, and more of them? That's not a "small pool of players" if you ask me.

Spector couldn't have developed those skills in the States? To say that he couldn't implies that all Americans must go overseas, but you have just implied they're not good enough to go to Europe. So which one is it?

25. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I'm not going to entertain rankings as evidence of a Europe-first strategy after being shouted down every time I've presented rankings as evidence of anything.