Pimpin' ain't easy (ACORN remix)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by marek, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca

I think that you're getting what you wish for. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Except even worse.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close but if it makes you feel better voting for Bush then continue on.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has no one made an Uncle Rico reference?

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nope, because I already fed Tina.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I would feel lousy about voting for Obama, except that I can still imagine the torture that President Hillary would entail.

6. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I disagree. I think Hillary would be doing much better thyan Obama. Then again, that's not saying much.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Unfortunately, Glen Beck forced our Senate into writing a Bill that's likely unconstitutional (a direct result of governing like petulant bitches instead of grown ups)

A Bill of attainder is a legislative act that punishes without trial. Unconstitutional according to Article I.

The exception is thus: "Even legislation that singles out individuals is not a Bill of Attainder if "the law under challenge, viewed in terms of the type and severity of burdens imposed, reasonably can be said to further nonpunitive legislative purposes."

I don't know the precedents set for "severity" to avoid being labeled a Bill of Attainder - but I kind of doubt the ACORN video prove enough on their own.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just be thankful you live in a democratic nation where the majority realized it was time clean up after 8 years of the GOP shitting on middle America, losing two wars, destroying our global reputation, allowing torture, running up record deficits, not catching Osama Bin Laden, and presiding over the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

You're very welcome.

9. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Glenn Greenwald lays out the quandary conservatives are in now in this legislative part of their jihad against ACORN:

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You missed Smiley's point, he voted with you.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far as Blade, they may be freaky looking, but they still very human in how they act. They argue like human beings, they go for world domination and the like.

30 Days of Night I haven't seen yet, I should rent it.

How about Love at First Bite? Now that was a real vampire. :D

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I doubt that Olbermann's Mortimer Snerd cares about that.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got his point but the brilliantly retarded conclusion "new boss same as the old boss" was way off the mark.

14. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Yes, that was unfair. You've got to go all the way back to Jimmy Carter to find a guy who rehabilitated a discredited GOP is such a short time.

15. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And that cheeky Alan Grayson is already on that like shit on fly: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/24/the-unintended-consequenc_n_298540.html

16. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not going to happen. There's a lot of former conservatives that are never going back to that shitpile.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rehabilitated?

You're apparently unaware of the GOP's putrid, historically dismal, polling numbers.

In 2010, an off-year election, the GOPs might have a good year. But 2012 is going to be another great year for Dems.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'm aware of the numbers, but they can change quickly. The GOP smells blood and that might attract more talent into the pool.

2012 is a long way off, but Obama had better wise up if he wants to avoid Carter's fate. The Dems were pretty full of themselves in the late 70's, too.

If Sarah Palin is still considered a serious prospect in 2011, then you'll probably be correct. That's a good litmus test.

19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like wishful thinking. What blood in the water are you referencing?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're apparently unaware of the difference between the past and the future. "Can change" means it's something that hasn't happened. "Rehabilitated" means something that has already happened.

It's strange...my kids could figure out this difference when they were a couple years old. And yet you're still struggling with it. Oh well, you teabaggers aren't an especially sharp bunch.
    The big difference is that Nixon's failings were personal. Bush's failings were ideological. His ideas were enthusiastically and near unanimously endorsed by the Republican Party.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANd Rachel comes with the finishing blows (provided Dems have any spine )

The second video in particular, wow (i dare republicans to stand up against corruption, fraud, prostitution, malfeasance, you name it ...I effin dare them.. I certainly would welcome it..Crap, i may even vote for them)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlRBCi47Kw"]YouTube - Rachel Maddow Covers the Truth About ACORN Lies[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ypAqwFyHqc"]YouTube - Rachel Maddow Discusses Blackwater Funding Versus ACORN with Jeremy Scahill[/ame]

From the HP link:

And the proof of this is in the pudding. The only reason the American people have earned a potential tool in guarding against contractor fraud is because Congress created it BY ACCIDENT.

And this is why this is an important story to cover: if the recent ACORN scandal proves anything, it proves that when the media wants to, it can spur and shame legislators into doing their job. And now, by pure happenstance, the media is afforded the opportunity to unleash the hounds of Hell on Congress and get them to use this legislation to go after all sorts of malefactors and fraudsters for widespread abuse of taxpayer trust. And even if every single abuse cannot be prosecuted under this new legislation, the press can hound Congress into doing even more.

This is a moment the media should seize. If they fail to do so, if they fall back on the pose that this is "not their role," if they merely demonstrate that their only interest is the raw political wrangling that drove legislators to mistakenly do some actual good, then the bottom line is this: the media will have aided and abetted far more prostitution than they have pretended to prevent

Media.... the ball is also on your court......

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be remiss if I didn't ask the obvious, (to me, at any rate), question....

You're not actually holding your breath waiting for this to happen, are you? :(

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've officially lived in the States more than half my life (just weeks ago about 15.5 years) and while i've become in the process very AMericanized on certain areas and have an appreciation and some belief in that good old American optimism and can-do-anything-you-put-your-mind-to-attitude..... to answer your question....NOT A CHANCE..... As i have great belief in people, just not as much in companies, much less in the putrid media we possess here in the States.....

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    The secodn video is genius. To anyone on here who puts Rachel MAddow in the same pot as hannity, limbaugh and olbermann, watch the second video especially and learn.

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rachel Maddow tying the U.S. Attorney Scandal to this whole ACORN mess....

Second half has a DAvid Iglesias interview...(BTW IIRC Iglesias IS a Republican, not that it should matter)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Nh4sAx_p8"]YouTube - Rachel Maddow: GOP seeks 'wedge issue' in ACORN 1[/ame]

second part (very short)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXm4EOPw8qU"]YouTube - Rachel Maddow: GOP seeks 'wedge issue' in ACORN 2[/ame]