Time to blow it up

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sanguine, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Why not? Just curious.

He said in interviews that he liked his time in NY. He understand the limitations of the league (lower now than when he played) and is certainly familiar with a better brand of soccer than we are accustomed to. He might be able to attract more players to the US. He's a no-nonsense guy who leads by example.

He is also my favorite soccer player ever so maybe I'm biased. :) The only piece of Metrostars gear I possess is his 1996 signed jersey.

2. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree. I think he would be an excellent coach and he is available.

BUT, I doubt that the Metrostars would let him come to us (they would probably offer at least twice the amount of money that DC United can pay).

Have you no shame!?!

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Why does everyone assume that DC United is somehow limited in paying their coach? Chang could splash out as much money as he wants on a coach. There is not some magical formula, whereby New Jersey teams can double or triple what anyone else is willing to pay. They have a coaching budget just like everyone else. Whether Chang would match it, is the question, not could he, because he most certainly could.

4. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Good point, but I still think New Jersey would get him before DC United would (and he would probably fail miserably there, like every coach they ever had).

5. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Nope, not even a little bit, not when it comes to Donadoni.

Give me a chance to meet Baresi, Maldini, and Donadoni and I can die happy.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think someone that high profile would be looking at time in the U.S. as slumming until a real job came along. MLS is too bizarre with its single entity, salary cap and whatever for a high profile European coach to comprehend, let along try to manipulate. What good personal traits Donadoni might have, I just feel that bringing him in wouldn't work on many levels.

7. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Perhaps. Different people are at different stages in their careers. Who knows what his motivation might be? Growing the game in the US? Making a boatload of money with far less scrutiny than he'd face anywhere else? Regular paychecks?

Well, he was already here for three years, as I noted. (might only have been two.) That wouldn't be a surprise to him at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing him try.

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the Baltimore Sun article about a possible home for "the DC United" contained the intriguing information that Kevin Payne was out of the country. And a poster on another thread said Kasper was, also. Interesting. Gosh, Matt, do you think they are off to Napoli to interview Donadoni?

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the plan is to pack up and move to Baltimore at midnight while they're out of town, then rebrand the team and simply not tell them where they went.

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    God willing, it's all part of a master plan where we get both a coach AND players.

And I hope it's not one of those South American trips that Kasper and Co. go on every offseason.

Although, it is rather odd that they would be going on a trip this close to the end of the season. I mean, it's not even the offseason, and they're already making trips? There has to be something behind that tidbit, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out without a Goff report. Whatever it is, it certainly seems important.

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I think they're more likely to be wooing Maradona. After all, he used to play with Latin flair, and I understand he might be looking for work soon.

I think it'd be easy to get him. They'd just have to convince him that coaching Janicki, Allen, and DiRaimondo would be a more interesting challenge than coaching Messi, Veron, and Riquelme. How could he turn that down?

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^******** maradona. LOL He's the downfall of the NT, he doesnt believe in playing Roman on the NT because of his 'lack' of defense, and you have a over the hill veron being the 'from the back' play maker in the defensive mid position. BAD COACH, MARADROGA! :p

13. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You know I was kidding, right?

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL Yea i know, regardless.... i just wanted to express my hate for how he ruined one of my fav. NT's to watch. Then again, playing bolivia was the beginning of their nightmare that is their NT now. :p

15. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Pink is for NFL players last weekend.

I only know black and red. (I know white too, but white text on a white background is tough...) :)

Edit: Hey, no fair changing your comment after I respond to it!

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  17. elprincipe

elprincipe Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he's smart enough to know that when such a stink takes that long to come off, you don't want to get into that mess again.

18. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's hope so.

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    No. They are renewing their "volume discount" with the sport hernia surgeon in Germany.

20. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope that Payne "loses" Kasper while he's over there. Kinda like that old Ross Perot skit on Saturday Night Live when he tries to lose Admiral Stockdale in the woods (While driving Toonces' car).

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/4123/saturday-night-live-joyride-with-perot"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Joyride with Perot@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/yTXRdkLf2g_sULrT3A4Pqw@@AMEPARAM@@yTXRdkLf2g_sULrT3A4Pqw[/ame]

21. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    October 25th, the season is over, and the team didn't show up, or couldn't show up.

time to start making a permiter, and laying the charges.

I would hope that this can be done by tomorrow afternoon, and an annoucement made by tuesday morning that Tommy's contract will not be renewed.

I would hope that trainers and the rest of coaching staff, are notified they will not be retained, by weeks end.

I would hope by the friday morning Mr Kasper is notified he will not be coming back, and by MLS Cup, Mr. Payne has left, and after hiring Kasper replacement.

at this point i would expect to have only 12 of the 30 man roster left

22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    N0 - Not until next week at the earliest - The fall fundraiser for United For DC is Tuesday night, and we'll hear only the party line - And we certainly won't hear the very next morning - I'd say that unless Soehn resigns, we won't hear anything until next week