Good Job DC Fans.

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wgoood2, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice job wearing and repping your club gear at a US NATIONAL TEAM MATCH. I guess $20 is too much to spend on a usa nat t shirt.

2. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have one.

I cheered my fncking ass off the whole game that I couldn't talk by the end. So you can shut your gob and stop talking crap about the dc fans.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's simply jealous that dc actually HAS fans.

4. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me no one jelous. Its a code, that at national team games, the club gear stays home. All im asking is that you show unity with your fellow usa fans. IS that too hard to ask??

5. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were they there? yes
    Were they loud? yes
    Were there flags around their necks? yes
    I personally don't see any problem with them wearing those ugly kits, as long as they cheer for the USA.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    It's clearly obvious he was talking about the DC fans that were wearing DC gear. I really don't see why it's so hard to go out in national team gear and forget the club for one day.

Rather than support the country as a whole, the many folks choose to single themselves out with club gear. Way to make the whole national team feel welcomed. Way to be.

PS- I've found US NT shirts for even as low as 5 bucks an a FYI for those wearing DC gear.

7. pinkflo808

pinkflo808 New Member

May 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there wearing my AO gear. Didnt really notice too many people wearing United kits. I think you are exaggerating my friend.

8. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    For my 1st time at a game I had a great time. Really nice people all around. I'll definitley be back in October to see US play Costa Rica. Anyone know what the one guy did to get pulled out of the stands? And what was the powder that people kept shooting up? I'm guessing you're not supposed to have it? lol Oh and what about no vuvuzelas?

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *pulls up a chair and cracks a beer....This should be fun.

10. Stadium-Armory

Sep 6, 2006
    H Street NE
    Club:
    DC United
    FFS, there were as many people in ManU, Chelsae, and Barca jerseys as there were in DCU gear. At least call them out too so you don't seem like a partial complainer.

It's not about what you're wearing; it's about how hard you bring it, and the "loud side" brought it very hard last night.

11. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, wear a red t-shirt if you have to. People always bring up the club shit at a NATS game. It is annoying. Honestly that does not bother me nearly as much as being outnumbered in our own country be another countries fans. If people want to infuse some of their club support into a NATS game, then bring more of your club friends to games and support the US.

12. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be an idiot to not know that there would be quite the blue & white representation in the stands. And yet people can't get a cheap red t-shirt?

It's not about (DC) United. It's about United States. Simple as that.

I don't like people wearing Liverpool, ManU or Arsenal shirts either. But they are red and at least don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Likewise, I prefer people don't wear blue or white US shirts, but at least they are showing some support for the home team.

Wearing a black DCU kit? C'mon. We've been dealing with this crap since 2001.

And I know the Scheming Weasels are aligned with AO, but get a different banner FFS.

13. GoNYforBarca

GoNYforBarca New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    La Barra Brava DC
    Sorry to bum you out by wearing my white USA jersey. I'll keep your preference for red in mind next time I go to a nat team game. Hey my Barca jersey has some red in it. Would you prefer that?

And secondly... are you serious? Do you honestly believe that the US National Team has achieved a level of crowd support where it's worth it to start complaining about how people are dressed at matches?

14. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said prefer. I'm not going to hate on you for supporting the good guys.

And yes, I am serious. Many of us are serious. We've been complaining for years now. And if we don't, things don't get better, even incrementally.

15. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

Do you really not get that the hardcore US support overlaps with hardcore MLS club support, and wearing MLS club shirts to US games detracts from the purpose of unified support and furthermore is often divisive? Go to a game where the US is playing badly and people are bitching about individual players, such as the Honduras WCQ at RFK in 2001.

As for the guy who claims to have not noticed: the wall of DCU shirts in the front rows of the supporters section was obvious to anyone watching the game on TV. Zero class.

NO CLUB SHIRTS AT US GAMES.

16. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    You whiners that are telling people what to wear know where you can stick your complaints.

I wore a red, white and blue American flag shirt yesterday but I'll wear whatever I want when I go to a game. Thank you.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. But it was for Honduras

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the heart of the SE/Sam's Army section last night (row 4, right in the middle). I saw 1 person wearing a DCU kit. There were a lot of people wearing red SE shirts that were made for the USA games (US crest on the front mixed with the DCU crest and said "UNITED for Club & Country). But, they were cheering their @ss off, as was I, and we were supporting country and trying to get people involved in the cheers. I can say for a fact that the person who said that DCU kits were all over the place is greatly exaggerating.

19. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't verify the actual number of people wearing DCU kits. I was not at the game.

However, I, much like a lot of the people taking issue here, was watching the game on TV. The TV cameras would pick up people in DCU kits just about every time they isolated on the fans, especially behind the benches. And it was impossible not to notice the huge black & white SE and La Norte banners smack dab in the middle of the pitch.

So, to summarize, for those of us watching on TV, there was enough evidence of DCU gear to make it appear that it was an issue.

20. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AO National banner couldn't make it out to DC. It will be at Foxborough and Philly.

Wear red if you can but I am not going to freak out on people for wearing pro-USA stuff that isn't red. If you wear a US Jersey, AO shirt, SA shirt, Obama shirt, Reagan shirt, Harvey Milk shirt, whatever. Just be there, be loud, wave your flags and scarves. I think the display of tifo with flags and scarves creates a better image anyway. I am resigned to the fact that people will do whatever they want when it comes to clothes at the games so I am not gonna be a fashionista about it.

21. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Well then.

22. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm basing my opinion on what I saw on TV. Which is how most of us saw the game.

I'll be there Saturday. And I'm prepared to see some amount of Revs gear as well. I won't like it, but at least they have the excuse that the Revs were actually playing at the stadium.

23. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were all over the crowd shots of the game. I think that is where the reaction is coming from.

24. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, obviously I can't speak on that. I can just tell from my observance at the game. The benches are on the other side of RFK from where the supporters are, and so obviously I couldn't see anything over there (except for the scores of Honduran fans). However, those are also DCU season ticket holders over there as well as people who bought tickets as part of a DCU package (coupled with the LA Galaxy game).

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Pass me one while you're at it.