West Coast DC United Supporters :: DCU @ LA :: 4/10/04 ::

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DEADLINE SET :: Monday, February, 16 :: Click for info

Match :: LA Galaxy vs DC United
    Date :: April 10, 2004
    Time :: TBA
    Place :: The Toolbox in sunny Carson, California

[​IMG]

They say the early bird gets the worm and there’s no time like the present. So rather than pass the buck or risk there being too little late, I’ve decided again to step in to try to organize seating at this year’s matches in Los Angeles and San Jose for all the displaced DC United supporters now residing on the West Coast. (We need a name, something snappy like El Oeste, ‘Far’a Brava, the Rambling Eagles – or, really, anything just so long as I don’t have to type out “all the displaced DC United supporters now residing on the West Coast” whenever I’m trying to refer to us.) Perhaps it’s still early, but, nonetheless, I figured it’s worth runnig this up the flagpole to see who salutes.

First up this year is the LA Galaxy. You remember them, they were always the bridesmaid and never the bride when we met them at the MLS Cup. Those were the days of milk and honey. Back then we thought LA would never win an MLS Cup, not until hell freezes over, not until pigs fly. Then those damned Bostonians messed it all up. What's done is done. The die is cast. We still have three and they but one.

Last year tickets for our LA bash didn’t exactly sell like hotcakes. This year I hope you’ll all jump on the West Coast supporter’s bandwagon and join the cause. Don’t merely be another face in the crowd. Sit with us! They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and what better way to show your fondness for DC United than to get drunk, cheer on the team and scream vulgar insults at Galaxy players?

I can’t guarantee that we’ll cheer till the cows come home, nor even that we’ll go from dusk till dawn but I can say that for 90 minutes (plus overtime if need be) we’ll yell till we’re blue in the face. Just as many hands make light the work, so many voices will make our corner of the stadium loud. There is much to cheer for this year, and in Los Angeles there is always much to cheer against.

Berating Galaxy players is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Insults stick to Cobi Jones like flies on shi!t or ugly on a monkey. Last year we met with great success by casting aspersions upon the size of Cobi’s anatomy. He knew he was up a creek without a paddle and ran from our side of the field like a bat out of Hell. And I haven’t even mentioned Chris Albright, Fat Sigi and his magic belly or the Galaxy’s first round draft pick, Whoopi Goldberg. Hurling insults at them is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Please let me know if you think you might want tickets. They say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (now if you’ve got a dirty mind like me then you’ll certainly agree that cliché is quite obviously untrue), but beggars can’t be choosers. Even if you’re uncertain, let me know if there’s a chance. I don’t intend to put the cart before the horse, I’m just sticking my finger out to see which way the wind is blowing. So get the lead out and post your intentions.

… I can’t keep going like this. The clichés are giving me a headache. Here’s the nitty-gritty …

I think we’re aiming for fifteen people. Once we know who’s in we should decide where to sit. Last year we were in section 127. The seats weren’t bad (they’re benches with backs though, the sidelines feature real seats that are pretty comfy). I’d sit there again or I could sit in 128, 129 or 130. Other places in the stadium will either be in the club seats, on the wrong side TV-wise or next to the Galaxy supporters clubs. That suggested, I don’t know about the rest of you who were there in 127 last year, but I got the impression that we could get away with more (standing, shouting, vulgarity, and, in the case of our friend DCU, downright destructive behavior) sitting in the corner than we could have elsewhere. On the other hand, rumor has it that ticket prices are going down this year. But that can all be decided later and it might depend also on whether we can get a group rate as I suspect that will bring costs down significantly. Right now I don’t have any information on ticket prices so for the moment I just want to start up a list of interested parties and get everyone’s information.

That’s about it. I’d like to get this organized early this year. Hopefully we can get a sufficient number of people to get a group rate and really take over a section. So with that I’ll knock on wood hoping folks respond and end this cliché ridden post.

:: While opportunity only knocks once, this thread will be bumped innumerable times. ::

2. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    I'd love to take part in this.

I have been living in Pasadena for the past two years after growing up in Virginia and attending college there so I am pretty much a home grown DCU fan. I can pretty much vouch for my girlfriend who also lives in LA and liked to attend DCU games at RFK. I think my roommate (also from Virginia and a DCU fan) might be willing to go.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Great! Send me an email (link above) with your info and a "soft" count of how many tickets you might want. I'll start compiling an email list of potential attendees.

4. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I am going to try to schedule my late winter-early spring vacation to coincide with this game. I was planning on heading to San Diego/Los Angeles for a week or so anyway, so I'm trying to make it happen over April 10. If I'm able to make it to the game, I will most likely have at least three folks with.

Knave, I'll send you more info when I know it.

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I'm in Ben. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Hell, I haven't even checked out the schedule yet.

One guaranteed and possibly one - three more.

Would like to sit in the sideline seats toward the front under the upper deck - it is closer to the field than the other side. So come on people sign up and get James a group discount.

james

6. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Count me in! Oh, and as nice as the sidelines are, I'm not sure I could join you guys. Really, I think people would get upset watching some guy smash a Cobi Bobblehead to bits while screaming the entire match about how Cobi's pecker is the size of a pea and Albright belongs in the A League. That leaves out the Whoopi Goldberg Superfan act I plan to pull if Nwenya comes within 50 yards of me. Plus, it's just so fun to harass Cobi on corners. He really did run away. I'd say "like a little girl" but that'd be an insult to 6 year old girls everywhere. So I vote we sit where our voices can be heard. If the objection is "you can see the game better elsewhere" then tape the game or sit in better seats at some other game. I hope we can actually PARTICIPATE in the DC game by giving the Gals hell in their home stadium.

7. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben, sounds like a great plan except,....I no longer live in Monterey. I just moved to Newport, RI this week. The good thing is that I'll be moving back down to VaBeach this summer so I'll be much closer to Mecca than I have been over the past two season. Good luck.

TS.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    My two cents on the section issue - I basically think DCU is right. 127 is the way to go. We can get away with more in 127 than we can elsewhere. That's the main thing. In addition, DC United will warm up in the goal right in front of 127. It's also, as DCU pointed out, in the corner and that has certain benefits. (By the way, rumor on the LA board is that they're going to play the full 80 yards next season so Cobi will be very close on those corners.) Plus there's a Corona cart right above that section. Don't discount proximity to the Corona cart. :)

But that's just my opinion.

9. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    sounds great -- I'm defintely interested, might bring some friends as well -- keep me informed -- I should be able to make it but too far out to confirm for sure...

10. Lush Liz

Lush Liz New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Walnut CA
    Alright, this is the first time that I'm posting in here.

I'd love to join the fun over @ the Home Depot Center. Last year we were sitting between Galaxy fans and that wasn't too nice. Every single time I yelled I was stared at like I'd just killed someone. So I'd love to sit with fellow DC fans.

So count us in.

Liz :)

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Alright, a quick running tally. Nothing concrete or obliged here, just seeing what kind of numbers we have and making sure I've got a list of all the interested parties.

Knave (1)
    DCU (1)
    morrissey (up to 4)
    Freestyle2000 (1 or 2)
    Lush Liz (up to 5)
    mikeb3142 (up to 3)
    GDopplerXT (up to 4)
    Malkamus (at least 1)

Did I leave anyone out?

I'm sure additional folks will chime in here too as the date draws closer.

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: West Coast DC United Supporters :: DCU @ LA :: 4/10/04 :: Tickets & Planning Thread

This could be fun way of passing the time between now and opening day. I like the ones you have so far, but lets see what else we can come up with:

Golden Eagles
    West Coast Brigade
    The Gittes Gang
    GTO - Galaxy Taunting Organization

Ah hell, nothing beats 'Far'a Brava

13. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    I like the GTO.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    GTO is too Galaxy-centric. It wouldn't work for those of us who also attend matches against San Jose.

15. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    FYI:

[​IMG]

also: sections 119 to 124 are supposed to be the only area where the horns are allowed. so if any of you can't stand them, you may not like 127.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've sat in or around 127 a couple times now. I don't remember horns being a problem there.

Also, I don't see anything about that on the policies page:

http://www.homedepotcenter.com/venues/eventpolicies.sps?iType=4176&icustompageid=6853

You might be right. But I don't see it there.

The policy is mentioned here though, I don't know if that's going to be enforced though:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84096

But, again, I didn't think the horns were a real problem in 127 last year and I doubt they'll be bad this year. The reality is there'll be far fewer horns everywhere this year if that policy is true and, anyway, we can pretty loud if we want. So we'll just down them out.

17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the deadline to make the final decision. I think it should be early enough to get the tickets in advance. The toolbox still hasn't worked out the will-call/purchase issue and on days with big turnouts you could be waiting in line for a while.

james

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: West Coast DC United Supporters :: DCU @ LA :: 4/10/04 :: Tickets & Planning Thread

While it would not apply to me personally I also like 'Far'a Brava.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I agree. I got the name of a Galaxy ticket rep who's actually a DC United supporter. He helped the Screaming Eagles get set up at last year's MLS Cup. I'll get in contact with him in the next few days (hopefully he's still working there) to find out how soon I can arrange all this. Once I do that I can set a deadline.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i have a guy also out there who DCU put me in touch with last year if you can't find your guy.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    PM the name to me. I'd bet it's the same guy.

22. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    I might be able to make the 2nd trip to San Jose in August.

Eric

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    pm'd you two names.

24. luvsuperbobby15

luvsuperbobby15 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    los angeles, CA
    im hoping to be in attendance. ive been deprived of the team for too long. over a year with no dc. damn my living in california and a little far from carson.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I briefly talked with a Galaxy ticket rep today. He wasn't the guy SE referred me to so I didn't go too much into the details but I got enough information to know that I might want to set the ticket deadline for about two or three weeks from now.

But I left the other guy a message and he should call me back, probably on Monday. I'll know more definitively then about the deadline and I'll also talk to him about prices. I'm hoping he'll be able to offer us something of a deal.

So if you're interested in tickets please work on finalizing the number you'd need. And remember, the more, the better.