Ben Olsen....classless jerk

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Aimer. Northend Diva, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Part of this taken from Erin's post on Quakesmagic....

It started at the half. I'm a former Columbus fan. And Columbus hates DC. Think about how much the Quakes hate LA, and you've got the picture. So as Ben Olsen came off the field, I told him to make sure he changed his diaper at half time because his nickname we gave him in C'bus is "Baby Ben."

Well, Benny Boy didn't take that all too well. As he came back out of the locker room for the second half, I asked him if he had changed his diaper. He took a mouthful of gatorade and spit it right at my face. I turned, but he hit me in the arm and Zoya in the leg.

Like Erin, I would have no problem if he made some sort of wisecrack back. That's fine. If we can dish it out, we can take it too. But spitting is NOT acceptable. AT ALL!!

I'm talking to the league office tomorrow.

2. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Amy, I understand completely why you are mad, but like you said, if you can dish it then you can take it too. YES, the way he dished it back was unacceptable, but bringing his name up on public message boards as being a classless jerk isnt exactly the most acceptable way to do it either.

Call the league, let your voice be heard, it's your right, but maybe it should be done privately?

3. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    You guys deserved it. I like Ben Olsen more than ever now.

Trade Landon for Ben Olsen!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been out for two years, missed a chance for the World Cup, on the worst team in the league with no real hope. I'm not defending what he did, but just giving a perspective of where he is right now.

5. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
  6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    [deleted by moderator]

7. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I saw that one!

"worst episode, ever"

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At last you can put something you learned from your "career" to good use.

[deleted by moderator]

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Boy, you really nailed it, Lindsey. Good post.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This forum is meant for audiences of all ages and tastes. Vulgar posts will not be tolerated.

11. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Come on.....seriously.....it happened at a Quake game, unless she's lying then she has every right to talk about it here. Plus anyone who even remotely suggests that it was ok to spit at a fan(no matter what he/she says) is alll wrong. If Olsen would have spit at me, he wouldn't have been able to physically play the 2nd half....i would have hopped the rail and beat his a$$. I would rather be punched in the face than spit at. If aimer had thrown something or spit at him I could see it but just for words? I have said waaaaay worse to players and they have said stuff back but it should never get physical. That's a line that cannot crossed.

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    then please delete all of Aimer's crap.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    She didn't say anything vulgar.

Although I do think she is overreacting.

14. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Really???....I probably would call hopping the rail and beating the dog-snot out of Olsen(my personal choice) "over-reacting, or turnining it into a stupid lawsuit, over-reacting but I hardly think calling him a classless jerk and reporting him to the league for spitting on a fan is over-reacting. I have a funny feeling if it was me or any guy that obviously could pound Olsen, the puss probably wouldn't have spit. Olsen should be fined and suspended if ther are witnesses or tape of him spitting at a fan.

15. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is MLS, not NBA or MLB. The players aren't paid that much because there aren't that many fans. If the players want to make this league a success (and thereby raise their salaries) they need keep it all in perspective, and appreciate every single paying fan in every MLS stadium.

Spitting at fans, even fans who are a pain in the butt, is unacceptable.

This is something the league should know about.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing in the world I'm doing is defending someone that supposedly spit on someone else, but why should you be protected for provoking someone to do something? Maybe if there is a tape of it, you shouldn't be allowed back at Earthquake games. If this happened its poor sportsmanship on his part and he should be fined and/or suspended, but if there's a tape, then you've admitted your guilt also and maybe you shouldn't be allowed to go to games or you should have to do some community service.

Class isn't just required out of the players, its required out of the fans too. Once again, I'm not defending him if this happened, but remember you wouldn't have gotten spit on if you had not hurled an insult.

Respect is a two way street.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Who loves ya, baby.

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Do you consider a Quake fan asking Olsen where his diaper is "provoking"? It's a part of the culture to taunt the opposing players. I suppose you feel that fans shouldn't taunt opposing players? See, if he he would have answered "I don't have a diaper on cuz I took it off when I was with your mother", although crude, it does not physically invade her space. On the other hand any fan that throws or spits things at anyone on the pitch should be banned from attending any MLS matches for life. No excuse for that crap.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I do consider that provoking. Because it was probably done is some whiny, derogatory manner. I don't know about you, but I've played sports before and when people ragged me even a little bit, I would snap back and usually a lot harder than they started. I'm not defending Olsen, but if you've ever played competitive sports then you should know better than to taunt someone who is "engaged in battle" because they aren't thinking normally, they've got adrelanin pumping big time and you will do dumb stuff that you wouldn't normally do. Once again, I'm not defending Olsen, but yes, I do consider someone asking (and I'm sure somewhat snottily) a grown man, where his diaper is as a provoking statement.

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

It's not ok to physically enter somebody elses personal space via hand or projectile. Anybody that can't ignore or disregaurd simple words, whether they are insulting or crude, has anger issues. Olsen should be happy anyone was talkin about him or to him anyway.....he could possibly be the youngest has-been in MLS. Anyone that remotely condones Olsen's actions probably has anger issues also.

21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a professional athlete? There's a big difference for someone who makes a living by going out and performing in front of crowds. They are going to get smack simply for being on the away team, and they have to have a thick enough skin to either not react, or give back what they got. Talking back is just fine. Spitting is not. Nobody spat on Ben Olsen, he shouldn't be spitting on people for talking smack to him.

And for someone who claims repeatedly to not be defending Ben Olsen, you sure are defending his actions.

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Agreed. It also seems weird how nico thinks the "tone", in aimers voice, matters at all.

23. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic victim blaming.

I see you're saying that you don't defend the jerk and maybe you think you don't, but you are.

What you're saying is the fan who heckles a sports figure (provoking them) deserves to be spit at. I suppose the female who dresses provocatively (provoking them) deserves to be raped, or the teenager who mouths off to an adult and pisses them off (provoking them) deserves to be beaten? (oops sorry! political forum?)

Generally speaking, from what little I know about law, I do know that spitting at someone can be construed as assualt and battery.

Tell MLS.

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

You mean when you streak Spartan Stadium pitch, that doesn't mean you "want it"? ;)

All kidding aside, yalp is right again. Your examples, although more extreme, are right on the money. Nico's explanations(excuses) for Olsen are in the same mindset.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is amazing how people do not or cannot read. There is not, nor has been, nor ever will be anything somone can say regarding sports or anything else for that matter that can justify anyone being spit on.

All I was trying to say is that if people could mind their own business these things wouldn't happen. Did I say that anything anyone ever does to someone else warrants whatever reaction that original recepient of communication sees fit? No I did not. That IS NOT A DEFENSE of Olsen. If you had read the entire post you would notice that I said Olsen should be fined and/or suspended. I don't know how my earlier condoning punishment on Olsen can be twisted into defending him. To compare a rape or a beating to someone getting spit on is like comparing a mudpie to a grenade and does a disservice to victims of those crimes. I say again, Olsen was wrong.

Now, for what I said regarding that person's comments to Olsen:

Forgive me for trying to hold a higher standard of behavior for people in general. I don't understand why people can't just go watch a game and let that be the end of it. I don't consider heckling a part of the culture any more than I consider burglary or anything else that's low class. Regardless of how much it happens, that doesn't make it right. You might not find anything wrong with it, that's fine, its not illegal, its a free country, you have your opinion on it. I think its uncool to heckle, that's my opinion.

Yalpstel, I know what I am trying to say, I don't defend Olsen for that action. There are two issues here:

1) Olsen spitting on a spectator - wrong (under any circumstance)

2) People heckling - wrong. It is my opinion that this is wrong in any circumstance either. Its not illegal in this country to heckle atheletes, but that doesn't mean I have to embrace. This once again doesn't condone Olsen's actions because I think heckling is wrong. The reason I am so adamently denying that I am defending Olsen is because you can't seem to understand that I'm not defending him.

Perhaps now that I have seperated my disdain for both people's actions you can see that I don't find one as justifying the other. That is an "eye for an eye" mentality and just as brainless.

Perhaps I should split this off and start an anti-heckling thread. All I was trying to say is that two wrongs were committed here. Olsen's is certainly and without a doubt the greater wrong (and in my opinion the ABSOLUTE wrong if you will...I will fully admit the other is a subjective wrong...which once again for those of you out there keeping score...DOES NOT JUSTIFY OLSEN'S ACTIONS.)

Not all things are black and white, there are varying shades of wrong...which Olsen's is infinitely higher.