Footy-friendly bar in Columbia!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DragonsFan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. DragonsFan

DragonsFan New Member

Hey there, folks...long time no talk to.

Across the street from me in Columbia is the Columbia Ale House, who have been open for a matter of weeks and are rapidly trying to build their cred as a sports pub - and that shall include the Beautiful Game.

They don't have the money to go spending on satellite, unfortunately, but they do have some cash to spend on such things as Fox Sports World and the MLS Shootout package. And they've asked me to go to the fans (those who would be likely to come to Columbia to watch soccer) and find out what they'd like to see.

Long-time readers know that I've been attempting something like this for a while...this time it's practically fallen into our laps. If we can get a group of regulars to show up there consistently, we may just be able to get ourselves a soccer pub in Columbia.

Reply to the thread or email me at scooter(at)guisarme dot net.

2. ProvenScorer

ProvenScorer New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    Where exactly in Columbia is this bar?

3. Cheese4

Cheese4 New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I am there, but where is there?

4. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    Finally one that is relatively close by. I do go to DC for games (to far) and don't go to Balt. (don't really know where, and can be a bit of a trip).

columbia is a good distance.

I'd be all over it.

5. B Considine

B Considine New Member

Not every bar can be a Summers. I'll take repeated FSW showings of this week's EPL game over the usual "sports" bar crap any day.

Now, what's the beer selection like?

6. B Considine

B Considine New Member

A quick bit of Googling reveals it's in the Long Reach Village Center off of Tamar drive.

7. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    Will they be showing the Cup on Sunday???

8. DragonsFan

DragonsFan New Member

They'll show pretty much whatever we tell 'em to that doesn't involve huge satellite prices (so, FSW or Shootout, or DirecTV). So, yeah. I just have to let them know.

9. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    who is their cable provider? I live in maryland and comcast does not have fox sports world..I would like to know so i can get fox sports world...Besides mls package on comcast I don't see any other soccer they can get..IMO if they really want to be a soccer bar theywill need the dish. Galavision is going to show the under 20's

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They must have DirecTV.

11. DragonsFan

DragonsFan New Member

They do.

This is a bump. If you want to see the Cup with me, show up tomorrow at just before 3:30; I will likely be in an autographed Quakes t-shirt (long story).

btw, bheer selection there is fairly good. They at least have Guinness, Bass, and the Sam Adams seasonals on tap.

Again, the important thing to have there is bodies. If we show up en masse, we have a considerably easier time dictating what we want them to show.

12. DCUEagles

DCUEagles New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Bangor, Maine USA
    Hey, excuse the interuption but I am but a poor summer intern in DC, where is Columbia Ale House, I need a street address or intersection. I am starving for some Guinness and soccer!!!!
    Thanks!!!!!

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

---Where in Baltimore do you go? I do not know of any Soccer Friendly bars here, except for the James Joyce in the bottom of one of the new Marriot Hotels downtown, and that's almost exclusively EPL. Not that that's a bad thing! Anyone here know?

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Pints-

Claddagh Pub in Canton is pretty soccer-friendly (Santino's cousin owns it I believe), Kiss Cafe showed all the World Cup matches, so I'm sure that put a game on if asked. I bet there are a number of Latin places over in Butcher's Hill/Upper Fells Point that have matches on in Spanish.

The problem with most of the places is that they only have COMCAST, which limits them to ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, and Univision.

James Joyce is still the best bet though. It's actually in the building next to the Marriott. I happen to work in the building and am down there pretty often. Most of the guys behind the bar are happy to talk football with anyone willing. I watched most of the CL final last year down there.

15. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Does James Joyce show MLS matches as well? I know they have several TV's wasn't sure if they would show seperate matches. I would like to go watch a match in a pub and drink, I don't mind watching them at home it's just nice to get out occasionally. ;)

Thanks for the info.
    Claddagh's you say? Hmmm..seems I will have to do some pub crawling.

16. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    yeah, James Joyce shows MLS matches. The TV located on the "upper bar" or the portion of the bar that is to the right when you come in, is almost exclusively on FSW. If not on FSW, it usually has soccer or some F-1 race. I have been in there a few times, although it seems many Euro's and British that live in Baltimore go there to drink and watch some Sky Sports News on FSW. I could be wrong, but thats the impression I've got. I conversed with an Irish (publican) bartender there and he stated that they looked into getting the European Cup this June, but it costed too much money and they didn't believe they could get the support for it. Personally, it sounded like they just didn't want to deal with charging people at the door, since they do a fairly good job with their restaurant side. The staff seems very knowledgable about football and they seem to know DC United. Ask them about it. I am sure you could get a Baltimore contigent there to watch DC United. They are more than willing to show football.

Claddagh Pub can be a good place to watch, although some of the bartenders would rather put on the Orioles then DC Utd. They too have a TV that seems to be on FSW most of the time, but I get the feeling that the staff there, unlike James Joyce, isn't as versed in talking football or putting it on over a major American sport.

All in all both are excellent football pubs. They both could do a little more in the way of showing DC United, USMNT, European Cup, Celtic, and Ireland matches, but I think that might fall unto us, who can show up en masse and can get these places rocking with football support.

17. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I've actually mentioned this about James Joyce before -- much of the staff there are big fans.

The General Manager, Dave Cahill, is a big Liverpool fan and a fair (I can't believe I"m saying that) player to boot. I met him when he moved in next door to me while managing the Joyce's sister pub in Arlington, Ireland's Four Courts. He eventually brought me on to the men's team that I play for now, back when he was still living here and playing for the team. He's also a bit of a Celtic supporter but nowhere to the extent of Liverpool. Dave is hitting a bunch of the Liverpool games, and the United-Celtic game in Philly, this summer.

There's a shorter guy behind the bar named Colin who is also Irish and is a Manchester United supporter to the core.

I'm pretty sure that they'll always put soccer on first if asked. They'll also talk the sport with you, especially EPL and Irish or English national team, whenever things are slow.

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I need to check with some people, but I believe we are trying to get a Screaming Eagles viewing party together at James Joyce this Saturday. I'm supposed to be helping in the organization of it, but I've been so busy I completely forgot about it.

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the SEs want to do a viewing party in Baltimore but I won't be this Sat, June 5 (we'll be in touch).

K

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks K.

22. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Count this SE Baltimorean in!
    It's an early one this Saturday so I am going to have to really charge to get the "housework" done, before hand ;)

I am more than willing to help out however I can K and Lowe, just PM me and I will do what I can. I will even get some non SE members down to root.

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I just realized something. With my luck missing all the other viewings in DC I will probably miss the one in my own hometown as well. I am out of town on the 10th of July.

Hopefully it wont be then but if it is I will miss it sorely. If it's any other day then the 10th of July I will definitely help you all out. And again I will bring folks as well.