Latest News (11/08/03): Rochester to MLS in 2004?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by pc4th, Nov 8, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://democratandchronicle.com/sports/rhinos/1108732A19R_rhinos08_rhinos.shtml

I feel it deserves its own thread.

The Rochester Rhinos and Major League Soccer are discussing bringing an MLS expansion team to play in Rochester as early as next season, Rhinos owner Frank DuRoss said Friday.

“We have a very short opportunity to do this, but MLS and the Rhinos have agreed to try to work out an arrangement before Nov. 30 to bring a team here,” DuRoss said from Tampa, Fla., where he and general manager Chris Economides are attending annual A-League meetings.

One interesting fact, it notes that the expansion fee is at least 20 million dollars.

2. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Well it says that the fee is "reportedly" at least 20 million. No mention of where he got that report from.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this really happens I would think the reason they are trying to get it done for the 2004 season is to balance the league at 12 teams for the entry of Chivas USA as Vengara seems to want his new toy fast.. :)

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I don't know how much confidence I'd have in that article. It sounds like speculation on old information to me. The only way any team would come in 2004 would be if Chivas insisted on entering in 2004 because MLS wants to do two teams at a time (a sound strategy IMHO). Furthermore, the 20M fee sounds like previous speculation. I can see variable fees depending upon what potential revenues you bring to the table. In that, the fee may be 20M and a small market like Rochester wouldn't be granted a discount, but a team that would potentially bring in a large new demographic might be granted a discount. But, more likely, I suspect the 20M figure is simply rehashing of the old reported number.

I do think that Rochester may be a candidate for 2006/7 expansion after the 2005 expansion. I'd suspect that the 2005 wave would capitalize on the World Cup 2006 run-up excitement, and the next wave (2007 most likely) would try to build on the media coverage of the 2006 World Cup.

-Digital

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the article does have that quote from the owner. Unless he has gone totally nuts, there is likely something to it.
    Or unless the writer has gone nuts and is making up quotes. :)

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Chivas USA are pushing for 2004... sad to see.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And perhaps making MLS do things they are not ready to do.
    Rochester should get a team at some point in the next few years but this would be rushing it, surely.
    What would their stadium capacity be if they came in next season?

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its about 15K or so, my friend who lives in Rochester says they draw about 12.5K to the baseball park.

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this and it's also mentioned in the above article:

"The main drawing points for any potential Rochester team are the club's strong, steady support, and their new Stadium. PaeTec Stadium, a 17,500 seat home, is set to be ready next summer - despite no construction taking place due to delays. Any potential team would play at Frontier Field, the current home for the Rhinos. DuRoss said a likely August 2004 opening for PaeTec is possible."

http://www.turfmonster.com/articles/?ID=3&ArticleID=1127

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I suppose the opening of Pae-Tec Park would then become "an MLS event." Maybe worth a few million in good press? ;)

And what everyone's said is true--Rochester with an SSS at least won't be a drag on the league financially, already has its marketing and team identity well-established in the community, fits nicely in the Eastern Conference, balances out Chivas to bring us to 12 teams.

The entry fee is now clearly a negotiable item--maybe something payable down the road or not at all.

Rochester just has too much else going for it in terms of SSS, established front office and market share, guaranteed attendance.

Chivas is facing a nightmare to gear up for 2004 (especially with "Sangre Nueva" recruiting just starting up), but Rochester should be comparatively easy.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes total sense.
    Is their stadium being built in such a way as expansion someday above 17.5K is possible?

12. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, 17.5K is just phase 1, there are 3 phases...

I just hope they go with grass instead of fieldturf, only thing about the ENTIRE Rochester situation and coming to MLS that i don't like...but maybe coming to MLS will make them decide to go with grass...one can only hope...

13. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we're all set then. Except assurring they don't use that Fieldturf crap.
    Chivas USA to the Western Conference and the Rochester Raging Rhinos to the east.
    I wonder if they will keep the uniforms they use now?
    I'll have to check them out and see if I approve. :)

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Ok, I get the feeling MLS is doing this to appease Vergara, to see if there is any way Rochester could come in next year to allow San Diego to do so as well, as they've probably said definitively 11 teams are unworkable.

I get the impression they know Rochester is a longshot and likely won't happen for next year and in dealing with them they're both showing Vergara they are 'trying' to make 2004 work and can if some miracle happens, but almost assuredly pushing two teams to 2005.

I suppose it could go either way at this point, but I bet it's just posturing.

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    This makes sense, but if Cleveland's stadium situation is really becoming a problem, maybe this appeasement could actually become a reality. I would love to see two new teams next year.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I know there have been problems with Rochester's stadium deal. The city thinks they are using too much public money. Could this just be some ploy to get the city to allow construction to continue? Showing them that MLS is on the horizon, even though the team and league know that it's not going to happen this year? Just wondering.

17. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    They already have the funds secured.. The state is chipping in 15 million (from the budget of 2 years ago) and the city is only donating the land.. Nothing else is going on with money.. Monroe County bluffed on their 10 million dollar promise and so now PTP is getting built in phases..

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. In that case, I really hope they do enter the league. I think the rhinos would be a great addition to the league, and a perfect counter part to Chivas San Diego. Chivas is the mexican team coming into our league as outsiders, while Rochester is the all american A-league team. The big team from the little american league making it to the big leagues.

19. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    That would be a hell of a marketing campaign, eh?

20. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Hooisers "Steenkamp, come here. Take this measuring tape, how far is it from the outer box to the goal line?" "It's 18 coach" "Same as the A-League, now go out there and give 'em hell, I love you guys"

[​IMG]

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Amazing , I got to hand it to the owner of the Rhinos. He finally found a way for the city/county of Rochester to issue the Rhinos the final permit to build the PTP.

This is a great strategy for Rhinos to move the city/county from further delaying the ground breaking, and issue the final permit ASAP, so Rhinos can begin to build PTP.

Moreover, the city/county is put on notice by the Rhinos, that unless the PTP Phase 1 is ready by 08/2004, MLS will not come to town.

(So issue that permit now !)

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if they enter next season, were would they play? A converted baseball field which by their own admission is sub-par.

PTP has already been delayed for a couple reasons besides the funds review (current land tenats couldn't move equipment and a historical find on the site) and DuRoss himself said they have pushed back playing any matches there until the Playoffs (Sept in the A-league) I hope thye get it finished earlier but I don't know of many consturction projects that get finished early.

23. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For real...did you even read it Digital?
    It's a reputable news source with quotes from the owner...
    I'm not saying it will happen, but your post doesn't make sense.
    old information?

...yeah, Rochester seemed more likely for a 2007 or so expansion...but if there is an opening for both sides to get something done, they should be in MLS. I don't think coming in now is really adverse.

as for the fee...maybe MLS is trying to get higher numbers for the expansion fee in the papers as they are feeling their 10 mil figure is getting run over with reports that Chivas would get in for 5 or 6....But all of that is based on BS from the Chivas camp and articles about Chivas, not MLS, hence just a guess on the subject....

Anyways, away from that post....Rochester does have a lot going for them, and I don't see this as a huge problem, whether or not it comes to fruition.
    I also do think this has something to do with the permit...

24. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Digi, it is the local Rochester newspaper. Before you say "so what?", understand that it is owned by Gannett, and these folks are based in Rochester. Now I wouldn't necessarily call the Demagogue and Comicle Gannett's lead newspaper, but it is pretty reliable.

Love to see a second MLS side in NY State. It'd be hard to root against the town of my childhood.

25. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member