Is Forlan the worst finisher of all times???

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by johno, Oct 18, 2003.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mean damnit, he is fast, he can shoot at times, but just not when he is supposed to score, i don't get it, thank god I am not a manager, i dont have the patients, because he would not have been on my team.

2. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I dont see why he gets so many chances from SAF... he just doesn't look up to par with he rest of the team...

3. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    i hate to slag off Forlan especially after some of the goals he scored last season and the effort he puts in but it is getting harder and harder for me to defend him, i just dont think he has got what it takes to be a top flight Man United player. He seems to me that he lacks confidence, and that is something a striker definately needs to suceed, maybe if he can get this up then he will be a better player but he also suffers from a poor first touch. I think its about time for Nardiello to take the step up as he is scoring goals for fun in the reserve league at the moment

4. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forlan had another good chance today...but then again so did Scholes, Ronaldo and Ruud. Forlan just needed to aim his shot to the left and it probably would have gone in.

Ronaldo is the real goal scoring diamond in the rough. His freekicks are excellent also. Once he stops dribbling so much and gets more chances, watch out.

5. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Forlan's shots weren't particularly bad today. He's come up with some real shockers in the past, but I didn't think you could really assign any blame this time.

6. Pinesol13

Pinesol13 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    NY
    I don't think anyone playerd particularly well today.

But about Forlan..He is so inconsistent. He can make wonderfull plays/goals, but then go months without showing anything but dissapointing plays. It gets to the point to where you forget why you ever liked this guy. But then, eventually, he will remind you.

I want to like Forlan for what he's done, but his inability to follow through sometimes really hurts him. I think he should continue to be a sub for loong , long while.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not be cut out for sub appearances. Maybe he needs a run of games to establish himself. We all know he did well against certain types of opponents on the US Tour, but he was also playing much more often as well.....

That being said, do I wish he would make more out of his current chances? Surely. But, maybe it's not in his game. (?)

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree with you there, but thing is you see, its a rarity when Ruud, Scholes, and the rest miss a goal that they should have scored, infact, oft times they score goals they have no right scoring, but with Forlan it seems as though you have to hope he does not mess up every time he is in front of goal...

I think he has had enough of a run, time to give the young blood a shot.

To Motter, yes he did well on the US tour, but for the most part that was against the other teams's subs and weaker opponents as well...

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that as well, however; the quality of the opposition has little to do with missing wide open chances in front of goal...

10. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know it's heresy to say it... but Ruud's been very inconsistent all season long. He's made a couple of very nice goals, which has made the rest of the world forget that he's missed more sitters already than he did all of last year.

11. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I know it's heresy to say it... but Ruud's been very inconsistent all season long. "

You are right, though. Ruud either has an inconsistent touch or an inconsistent finish...he has rarely had both in sync this season.

12. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Could it be that Forlan is another of those South American players that needs the time and space to excercise his skills that Premiership defences won't allow him ?

13. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Could it be that Forlan is another of those South American players that needs the time and space to excercise his skills that Premiership defences won't allow him ? It seems to me that when he runs with the ball he needs room to move, he doesn't have the close control of Giggs, and when shooting he needs time to set himself and doesn't have the instinctive reactions of RvN or Solksjaer.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Which is why of course, no one in the EPL has scored more goals than him... the fact is, Ruud can have off games, when he does not finish one we expect him to finish, its usually one we don't expect the average joe to finish, Forlan will at times score great goals, but he misses too many sitters, and lets no longer mention Ruud and Forlan in a matter like this...

15. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So, Ruud should not have scored off of Ronaldo's corner in the 1st half against Leeds? Absolute sitter. Didn't even put it on target.

Another major problem with comparing Ruud's goals to others absolutely is:

1. He plays in a single striker formation, so he'd better score more goals.

and

2. With that midfield, he'd better score plenty.

Man Utd do get more goals out of their midfield than most teams... but I don't think you can just point to the # of goals he's scored, and claim he's played as well as last year. He hasn't - his touch is poorer and he hasn't finished as well.

16. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    But he does seem to me to be making an effort to bring the midfielders into play more. He's holding the ball better and moving it on.

With Utd now playing with two defensive midfield players in tandem in front of the back four and generally a tighter defensive game then it's important that the ball is held while midfield comes forward.

Utd are no longer playing the all out attacking game of old :(

17. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I agree he has not been as sharp, no question. But the midfield has also had some injuries (Scholes, I guess Solkjaer), young players who make mistakes in Ronaldo and Djemba, and Keane has not been consistently dominated. All that make the job of a single striker a lot more difficult. Hopefully he'll settle into form and we can get a midfield with some continuity soon.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I agree with you all to a certain extent and I'm not saying Ruud is god, but just as holes were poked in my theory the single striker theory is not as beneficial to your point as you may think.

When a team plays 1 striker, its usually a combo of 2 things, great striker and good midfielders. ManU has both of those things, In the traditional single striker formation you expect your big gun to score goals, take on defenders one v one and very important, be strong enough to hold up the ball and wait for the supporting runs and then hand it off... Yes Ruud is our only target man but, I think if we had a great partner for him he would score just as many because there would be less pressure on him.

And yes he gets great service, but i wont ramble too much longer... look at liverpool though, with or without Heskey, or who ever is second striker, Owen's output is not affected, great strikers are great strikers cuz they can do it by themselves... of the great strikers in the last 12 years or so only one pairing for me had real synergy (as in the parts add up to a greater whole) and that was Romario and Bebeto for Brazil (IMHO they are the best striking tandem ever) everyone else relies on individual skill, now clearly chemistry helps, andy cole and dwight yorke, had good chemistry but Dwight was still one of the more dominant strikers in the prem for 2 seasons with andy and andy did not play second fiddle so to speak.

19. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    To answer the question, no, it is not Forlan his name is Patrick Kluivert! :( stop complaining or I will send him to the Premiership to play for the magpies!

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    no... two words: adi akinbiyi

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    sylvain wiltord? maybe.. misses more sitters than anyone!!! c'est la vie~

22. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think a new year spending spree on a striker is in order. The problem is that they will only be after players who can play in the Champs League. They should think more for the league and future.

23. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i guess not. he just scored!!!!!!!!

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Clearly, this forum has motivated the man to attempt and mend his sinful ways...

25. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge goal from DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!