Rumor of Stadium and Adu News Monday (Bergin)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by American40, Oct 17, 2003.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
  2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Non-story.

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    why is spamming Bergins board alowed? Everytime he farts theres a thread about it on bigsoccer.

4. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Well, excuuuuuse ME!

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    When Goff says something, I will believe it.

6. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I thought it was kind of interesting that when the commish was being interviewed during the Open Cup Final, he mentioned DC as one of the teams that would be building a SSS in the near future. Maybe it was just fluff, but...

OTOH, G.rber has said there would be an announcement before the end of the season about a two-team expansion along with a second big investor (not Chivas, someone that would take one of the league's current teams). And the end of teh season is rapidly approaching.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Put down the Ale.

The Colorado Rapids have been sold to a new investor - who has pledged to build the Rapids their own stadium.

The other expansion site - with new investor and stadium is likely to be Cleveland.

8. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Like his multiple (wrong) announcements of the sale of DC United several years ago?

No offense, Goff is an O.K. reporter. But he's hardly infallible.

AQ

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nobody's perfect, but I'd take Tony Gwynn over Buddy Biancalana any day.

10. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hey, Goff is undoubtedly an excellent reporter. And I LOVE his enthusiasm for DC United ... even though I'd prefer that the Post write more often.

But don't slag Bergin. Too many people are bandwagon jumpers and love to slag Bergin because he STATES that he is giving us a RUMOR. Look, if you choose to take a rumor and turn it into fact, go ahead, but don't blame Bergin for it.

Chris Bergin is well respected within MLS and is given a lot of good information. He states his sources unless they request anonymity or ask that he delay the release of information. So to let us know ahead of time on his own message board that he will be putting up a story that contains information on two DC United topics is certainly no reason to ridicule Chris.

Further, it is definitely DC United content, so it's a GOOD THING that American40 has alerted us to it ahead of time. Hopefully, people can come back to this thread and find the actual link to the story next week. But, I'm afraid, this thread will be full of people like me defending Chris for people who jump on the bandwagon to bash him.

-Digital

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Let me be the second to jump to Goff's defense. I'll take his word for gold any day of the week. Goff is the MAN. He is the only reporter that takes the time to share with us here which only adds to my respect for the man. I'll buy the man a beer any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's.

He's been spot on in most everything I have read in the Post. Hey Mr. Goff, if your reading, I hope to see you in lot 8 for this weekends match. I'd love to buy you a beer at the Barra tailgate!!

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have yet to see a false story on Bergin's website. If he posts it and gets accurate quotes, then yeah I'll believe it. He's hyped about it, I don't see why we should be any different.

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree 100%

and to emphasize what Tron said,
    When chris says something thats a rumour, he tells you its a rumour.. when he thinks its fact, he will ask several other sources to concur the information before he posts it as fact. If its sketchy, he tells you. Chris is a thorough guy, a great reporter and one of the best insiders on the globe.

anyway.
    I cant wait to see whats up on the adu/stadium front.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i'll defend bergin as well

i don't talk with him, i've had my own sources confirm what he says.. and he is very up front about what isn't yet truth (re: building story)...

bergin has more sources than most anyone... he scouts the league like a blood hound seeking putang... he's on the scent and will get it, and will let you know when he's not sure he is being led astray or not

it's incredible having someone like him around

i'm looking forward to finding out what the news is about

-jim

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That story and whatever Garber tells him are most likely going to be the big stories on these boards.

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Mr. Goff is the best.

Mr. Bergin also does a good job providing soccer stories.

We should all be happy that we are getting more soccer stories.

17. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Just because

18. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Chris and Steven both do a great job, albeit somewhat differently. Just deal with that.

20. This is all facinating stuff that can be discussed in my reporting class next semester. I am so interested. woo-hoo.

I like both, but Goff went to AU so I will side with him.

21. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I hate rumors.

Wishful thinking and speculation, however, are the joys of my life.

There seem to be 2 or 3 major rumors ripening with the possibility to bear fruit by Monday. Maybe DC United has been holding back on some announcements in the hope that the team will clinch its first playoff spot since '99 later on today.

So I speculate that having clinched a playoff berth today, DC has decided that tomorrow is an auspicious moment to announce any combination of the following:

1. Ray Hudson loves the team with all his heart but has experienced some stress related health problems and misses S. Florida, so he will be retiring after the playoffs.

2. Ray's replacement will be (take your pick) - but I still would like to see someone good at developing young players similar to what Bradley, Sarachan & Yallop have accomplished (Ellinger?).

3. Freddy Adu has agreed to a deal with MLS that guarantees he will play in DC.

4. News on the stadium front - although it seems to me other cities are further along in their pursuit of good soccer venues. But anything could happen given the secretive decision making processes at MLS and AEG and the dysfunction at the SEC.

5. Talon is really psyched about making the playoffs and wants us to get all our friends to buy playoff tickets.

22. Chris Bergin

Chris Bergin New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    It does come across badly when people take "stories to come" off our forum on to here. It's just the style of our forum where I try to be as open as possible on work-in-progress stories.

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't deserve to be even mentioned in the same sentance as Steve Goff. He's that good, period.

Best,

Chris.

23. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you take Sports Journalism with Aldridge, you'll get to meet Goff - he usually comes in for a guest lecture.

RS (AU class of 2000)

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, i guess that everyone has now heard that Harkes and Wheelock said that Freddy is pretty much a done deal for MLS and DC United. I guess noone believes THEM either ................

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually, they announced the Stephen Zack just saved 15% on his car insurance by switching to GEICO.

Sachin