Apple's iTMS now for windows

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple released their iTunes software for Windows today. It features the EXACT same iTMS where you can download music and now audio books. There are some nifty new features, exclusive tracks and bands exclusive to the iTMS like the Black Eyed Peas, the Grateful Dead, Coldplay, REM. Jobs claims that they will have over 400,000 songs by the end of the month, with over 200 indie labels.

For more info check out http://www.macrumors.com/events/musicevent2003.html

For iTunes it self check out www.itunes.com, the software will be up sometime today, so they say.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's about time, not that it matters to me at all. I guess they wanted to get it out before Dell started their iTMS imitation. This means they support .AAC on Windows now too?

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, AAC on windows...

now tomorrow I get to transfer my entire iPod collection onto my work computer. Oh won't they love me.

4. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I've been very curious about the whole iTunes thing. There's no doubt that the iPod is pretty stonkin'.

Anyhow I very curious about the selection they offer.

5. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    i'm sure you could get a codec to support acc for winamp and apparently the winamp beta 5 supports acc

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    When you download iTunes for Windows, it gives you the option of downloading Quicktime, which you need to play .aac, I believe.

Downloaded the new iPod firmware and iTunes yesterday. The new iPod software supposedly improves battery performance, and I like the celebrity playlist on iTunes.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    From: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/oct03/10-15MusicServices.asp

Dave Fester, General Manager, Windows Digital Media Division: "Unless Apple decides to make radical changes to their service model, a Windows-based version of iTunes will still remain a closed system, where iPod owners cannot access content from other services. Additionally, users of iTunes are limited to music from Apple's Music Store."

Huh?

8. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

"iTunes Music Store started out in late April with about 200,000 music tracks available for purchase. Today Jobs announced that by the end of October, the iTunes Music Store will have more than 400,000 available for purchase. What's more, Apple has signed distribution agreements with 200 independent labels, answering one early criticism of the service, which debuted with content from artists signed to the five major distributors of commercial music in North America."

Read all about it!

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Micro$oft, do you honestly expect a rational statement for them?

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Great news for me & my 40gig iPod :)D)... Musicmatch is good, but this should me a lot better

11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    From MacCentral

"On Monday Apple announced that more than a million copies of the iTunes for Windows software have been downloaded in the first three days following the software's release."

Full story

Not bad for the first three days

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Preemptive response to the "What's that song in that commercial?" question:
    "Club" version: Black Eyed Peas "Hey Mama"
    "Rock" version: Jet "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Let me just say that the sharing feature on the new iTunes is quite rocktacular. It works best if your co-workers have decent taste in music and have music you don't have. Pure genius.

14. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    i prefer ephpod

15. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States