Why is Namoff on the bench?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Mountainia, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any theories as to why Ivanov is starting ahead of Namoff? I can't figure it out. In my opinion, Namoff has been outperforming Ivanov during games. I thought maybe it was just me, so I checked the '2003 Season Grades' thread, and I see that Namoff is averaging almost .5 above Ivanov in the opinion of those on this board who bother grading.

Ivanov does have a better long range shot, and is probably more of a goal scoring threat than Namoff, but on the other hand, Ivanov has the tendency to take risky tackles that either miss or result in fouls. Granted, he's an exceptional tackler. It's just that I don't like my last defenders making high-risk descisions. That's a better trait for midfielders. Maybe Hudson should try Ivanov in midfield.

Namoff doesn't lash out at attackers; he simply stuffs them or holds them up while more support comes back. He's much more steady in the back, kind of like a young Jeff Agoos.

Any ideas?

2. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray can't have an SI making big bucks sitting on the bench. so he has to play him, otherwise he looks none too bright for wasting the SI slot and money when he had someone able to do a better job already here...

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't think that fan ratings is an indication of quality. For example, if you went by fan ratings Le Tissier would still be starting for Southampton! Namoff will just have to live with bieng on the bench or head to another club. I'm sure a club like NE or CO would love him given that they have some guys like Llamosa and Fraser ready to retire.

4. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I agree that fan ratings are worthless, but anybody who knows football and has watched this team on a regular basis will tell you that Namoff has played better than Ivanov. I'd be willing to bet my life that scouts from other teams have the same view. Ivanov is slow and makes mental lapses all the time. Namoff is much more consistent in the back.

If Namoff was a SI I guarantee he would be starting instead.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    First off, the Season's Grades thread is only opinion and the mere fact that most posters are down on Galin, even if he plays well, doesn't help him in that regard..

Secondly, in my opinion Namoff has indeed performed better as a defender this season but he has done little to no attacking at all and in a 4 back scheme your outside defenders have to have the ability to carry the ball upfield and overlap for crosses or passes or whatever.. Ivanov has done this exceptionally well, much better than Namoff has this season and that is why I think Hudson/Trask has Ivanov ahead of him lately in the lineup..

Granted, while Ivanov has definitely had an up and down season, he has played well with that quartet of defenders for the past month..

To me it's a win-win situation for United in that if one of the defenders goes down, Namoff is available to step right in without missing a beat..

6. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the limitations of fan ratings. I was just using them to gauge other's opinions of Ivanov vs. Namoff, and there seems to be general agreement that Namoff has been playing better.

I think Cweedchop's analysis sounds like it might be the reason. I think Namoff is actually pretty good at bringing the ball forward, but he is not the goal scoring threat that Ivanov can be. It's just my opinion that Ivanov will tend to give up more goals over the course of a season that he help score, but I suppose that's true for all defenders.

I guess there's not a huge difference between the two that would make it obvious. I am just putting myself in Namoff's shoes and feeling how frutrating it must be to prove yourself, but it's still not good enough. I hope he's dealing with it well because I'm sure we'll need him before the end this year.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Namoff is good, but he doesn't play offensive soccer very often. Ivanov does which I guess in Ray's mind makes him more valuable to the team.

Ivanov has been so up and down. He scores a goal tonight, but gives up the tying freekick. He does well last Thursday, but then gives up the tying freekick on Sunday. Wait, there's a pattern there...

I honestly think Ivanov will be gone next season once Reyes is healthy. I doubt that has much impact on whether or not Namoff plays.

8. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Prideaux gave up the tying FK in the Open Cup game tonite, not Ivanov.

And it's a bit harsh to say he gave up the tying FK Sunday as his challenge was pretty reasonable and 40 some yards from goal. Not to mention it was much less of a foul than the one Pope got away with when he clubbed Namoff only seconds before Ivanov's foul.

I agree with Chris that Ivanov plays over Namoff because Galin is much better offensively.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was going by what was on the MLSnet tiicker, so I was probably wrong on that account. However, I'm still a little dubious of Ivanov. He seems like a liability half of the time he plays. That's not comforting when you're on the homestretch.

10. doctorjim

doctorjim New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    It may be that Ivanov has pushed forward more this year than Namoff has. If that is true, I suspect that it is because of coaches' directions, not because of innate ability or aptitude for offense. As I recall, Namoff has made several excellent runs during the season. Overall, however, my impression is that he has been told to play conservatively and stay back, rather than push forward. Ivanov, on the other hand, has, I suspect, be told to attempt to play the role that Ivan the Terrible played last year -- attempting long crossing passes from the back. That seems to be a favorite Ray tactic.

An ironic aspect of this discussion is that Namoff is/was originally a two-way midfielder. If I recall correctly, he has expressed interest in the past in playing the central midfield role, not even a defensive midfield role. And, from I have observed, Namoff could be the best central midfielder than DC has. I am not sure that he has the ability to function in that position on a winning MLC team, but he has more aptitude as a classic central midfielder than Dema and Namoff is certainly more fit and athletic than Marco at this point. Bobby is certainly more talented overall than Namoff, but I have my doubts about Bobby's ability to be patient enough to play in the middle.

11. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was wierd. Tonight, Namoff starts with Ivanov on the bench. Then, Ivanov comes in...at defensive midfield! Has someone been lurking on this thread?

12. eurojack

eurojack Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Don't know much about Ivanov, but the reason Namoff isn't playing could be any of the following:

1. He sucks
    2. He is afraid of the ball
    3. He tiptoes and doublesteps around the ball like a woman, always trying to get in the correct position to kick the ball (not good for a "professional* player)
    4. He is Geoff Aunger, minus the toughness, guile, lack of sportsmanship and Canadian citizenship

I don't care who plays in his stead - even if they are less succuessful - because he is so difficult and painul to watch.

It's like watching yourself play on videotape in the worst mathc you ever played.

Excrutiating.

13. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    I can't say that I agree with you about Namoff's worth ... but this ... this is the funniest thing I have read in ages ... too right about Aunger ... thank you!!

BTW ... no one tippy toed ... or interrupted more soccer games with assult more than Aunger

14. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Because he sucks.

15. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Do not agree with much in this posting, but stated with style. Nice one. Oh, and I miss Aunger. He was the MAN!