Wizards @ Galaxy 9/27: Pregame Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Preview:
    http://mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09272003_KCLA&version=preview

Oh hell why bother...
    We'll lose 1-0

At least Quill is suspended.

FSW & HDNet for TV @ 9pm if anyone bothers to watch.

From Bob Luder's article in today's KC Star:
    "Wizards players, coaches and front-office personnel keep saying that the club has yet to become desperate for a victory."

Really guys, what can I do to make you think otherwise.

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    There is always alot of heat in these games. Maybe just maybe this is the game that can turn it all around. We win this game and we are tied with LA on points and have one more with them at home.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
  4. Y2KCHAMPS

Y2KCHAMPS New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Independence
    Watching LA play without the flopping fish will be entertaining enough.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I feel right now, all I can say about the the is BLAH. Right now I just can't seem to get up enough to care about the Wizards. Lucky with a full schedule of college classes and soccer, I haven't had a lot of time to dwell on how bad we've played lately.

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with kuhn... Since this game is on FSW, I really don't mind not driving up to the Coach's watch party. Hell, I might even watch the game on FSW. :)

7. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    No magic, guts, or balls in evidence of late.

Blah??? Seriously?

KC has a -1 GD, has had more goals in their games than everyone except NE and DAL (and we know Dallas has been blown out by many, and until the last month or so were the best offense in MLS. KC has been many things in '03, but blah isn't one of them. KC has played some blah individual games, but that is soccer - sometimes it's just painfully boring to watch. Just like every sport, BTW.

Anyway, the situation is clear. No points keeps Dallas in play, one point puts Dallas 11 points or 4 full wins down with KC having 3 home dates left. Dallas is dead effectively. A full win puts KC in the driver's seat to finish third and get 180 minutes - it isn't a series - with Colorado.

KC must be able to take points here with the thankful absence of Quill and Ruiz. This is even more important to the season as Gansler likes to keep the lineup similar in the next game after wins.

If KC is missing just one thing, it isn't the ability to stick to style, it isn't a poor game plan, or even the execution of gameplan. To me, it's the mental strength to take a opportunity and finish it. It matters not which end the ball is on when the opportunity comes. Players will not convert every chance. They should convert open nets from within 6 yards. They should be able to put occasional shots on net so a rebound might be the reward. They should be able to cover a back who is caught forward from someone else's untimely turnover. They should be aware of Donovan's speed in relation to his position and their own position. You can bet these things are all mentioned ad nauseum by coaches.

As the leaves fall of the trees it will always become increasingly important to be a mentally unforgiving team. KC hasn't displayed this quality all season. Even when the goals were flying in from all angles, the defense was pourous.

Point being, the first hurdle is now to qualify for November. #2 is to take out a team they can't beat (0-5-3 v SJ and COL). #3 would be to watch a boatload of college games and actually draft some youth with the ability to contribute.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    GO WIZARDS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just looking at MLS's website, and I noticed that we have gone over a month without even getting a point in a game. The last time that we got a point was on the 22nd of August against Colorado.

10. milkduds

milkduds Member

May 20, 2003
    Saint Paul, MN
    Where's Wolff

I haven't seen much of Wolff lately. How bad is the latest injury? When will he be back, if at all this year?

11. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Re: Where's Wolff

Last I heard they expect him back about a week before his next injury.

12. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Nice! A little bit of positive waves from the East.

Psst: No more sitting in the front row (it's depressing). :)

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    This was the shortest pregame thread of the season. I think that says something, buy hey, check out the post game thread.

14. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    See, Ben! See what you did with just a bit of positivity!

Prospects are great now that we've identified the source of the teams problems...

:D :D

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, if the "other" red team can win today as well as the ladies defeating N. Korea.