The Hype known as Bob Bradley

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JRedknapp11, Sep 15, 2003.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    After Saturday night's game I really can't contain my feelings on our coach Mr. Bob Bradley any longer. Game after game we encouter the same old problems that seem to never be spoken of by the coach, players and even us the fans.

I'm still trying to figure out what makes Bob this coaching sensation. Is it purely his win loss record that drives him to the top of the U.S. coaching elite, if that holds true then Ron Newman should be king superior as he holds the record for wins. Certainly it can't be for coaching experience, as there are numerous coachs past and present whom have graced the touch line far longer then Bob. Or is this Hype purely based on a few good seasons as the former coach of the Fire. I thought watching him in action as our coach this year would help solidify it in my mind but to be truthful from watching him in action I'm even more clueless on why this guy has been hyped so much.

His eye for talent is even somewhat questionable as well. Ricardo Clark has been a gem but after that one has to wonder again why people think that everything he touches is golden. I love Mike's tireless running up front and someday he could be a nice striker but that's a few years away so one can't truly comment on him. Leitch is nothing short of average and really doesn't posses the skills to become anything but just an average MLS defender. Kenny Arena's pick up stinks of soccer politics as that kid couldn't tackle your grandmother. Woly's addition has been somewhat questionable as well. The guy never stops trying and his heart is always on his sleeve and for that I'll always admire him but otherwise he has no touch and his finishing skills are simply horrid. Reagen and Leblanc are another pair who falls into the Leitch catagory of hopefully one day becomming just an average MLS player at best. Then you have players such as Galvan and Forchetti. Both players could make an impact on any of the other nine MLS teams wether it's in a starting role or as a sub. We however let them sit and rot only to play when there are no other options due to injury. Forchetti played very well in our time of need when Pope and Jolley went down..he handled the press like a veteran and even took the load of the blame on his back, when most of the fault wasn't purely his. Glavan has been given practically no time to let loose but in the seldom time he has been given one can see that there is bright footballer waiting to break out. Instead Galvan gets pushed away on the bench for mistake prone blundering midfielders like Richie Williams. Sure the midfield has quality in Lisi ,Amado and Ricardo but this is Bob the footballing genious , surely he can comprise a system that includes the likes of Galvan and Forchetti.

The defense is the biggest problem in my mind. Sure we have probably the best two center backs in the league in Jolley and Pope but look to the outside of them and your scratching your head at everygame. Ziadie and Digi are simply rubbish and that's being nice. Ya they might have bags of speed but otherwise they posses nothing. Digi makes mistake after mistake , always telegraphing his passes and getting caught up field when he should be in a more reserved role. Craig too has speed but the kid can tackle or mark anyone if his life depended on it. He was one of the main reasons we lost Sat. night as he made Noonan look like superstar. If it's speed Bob so desperatly needs at the wing back position then why isn't he putting Edgar in...a nice pick up by Bob.. the kid has creativity and finess by the truck load. Forchetti too could be placed onto the otherside...imagine a backline of Forchetti-Pope-jolley-Edgar... sure would be tough to break that down.

Ok so I have bashed his player aquisitions...again since Bob is this coaching guru..surely he could devise a plan that could bring everyone's attributes to the forfront. Sadly that couldn't be further from the truth. Our play in the pitch gets me so fustrated. It's that same old B.S. everytime and that's why teams are having their way with us because they know all we do is play it right up the middle and into the box. Other then when Amado has room to operate there is no creativity out there... no one EVER runs for each other trying to open up space. When do you guys see our players making runs for each other .. never. everyone just stacks the middle of the field and then stands around waiting for the ball to come to them, instead of making the ball come to them with going into free space. My other on field problem is why in world does this team never ever cross the ball from side to side...does Bob not know how to implore a training session on when and how to switch the field of play..everyone else in MLS does it too us, why can't we seem to manage it. If I'm Bob I'd be drilling these simple aspects of the game into their head untill they actually did it on the field...instead we get the same rubbish of.. play it through the middle and if thats not an option give it to Richie so he can push it back into our end of the field and then try it all over again. Makes no sense to me that this so-called footballing coaching guru can't seem to get his players to grasp the simple aspects of the game. Lastly... when is Bob actually going to get off his white arse and handle Clint like a man and tell him to shut up and play. Every game Clint has his two or three episodes where he has to belittle the Ref and tell him that he's not MLS quality. To be fair to Clint he's usually right but the way he handles it is all wrong. Clint needs to stop rolling on the ground all the time and he needs to put the same effort into scoring as he does belittling the refs....I'm not bashing Sir Clint he's been huge for us this year but imagine how much better he could be if his efforts were purely focused on simply playing...too bad our coach can't seem to manage that task either of getting Clint to play...yelling at the ref is the coach's job...then again it seems that our coach doesn't know what to do properly.

Ok...call me every name in the book for bashing Bob..I'm off to take my Riddlen.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go.

3. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    chicken little wastes little time...

4. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I thought everone who was at the 2/8/03 meet and greet took a vow of omerta regarding criticism of the team. I guess now that the team has encountered a rough patch all bets are off.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    During Bradley's time in Chicago they developed more good young American players than any other team. You are welcome to debate that, but I think they far and away top that list.

During Bradley's 2/3 of a season in New York, he has added a lot of players who had not yet proven their MLS worth, and cobbled together a team that is still holding on to second place in the division and fourth overall. Meanwhile, our projected three best players prior to the season (meaning pre-Guevara) all missed huge amounts of playing time, including one leaving for good.

It would be a damn shame if we kept improving at this pace.

I think the sun will rise tomorrow.

6. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Negatives of this team:

1. Attacking players. Clint and Amado and nothing else. Bad gamble on Moreno. Hard to fault Wolyniec and Magee. They give everything they have.

2. Our Tweeners. Guys who have been in the league a few years but are not considered stars. Digi. Ziadie. Richie. I'll even throw in Jolley. They have to perform to their highest level to be "serviceable."

3. Depth. I think Redknapp11 greatly overrates Forchetti (slow) and Edgar (poor defensively). Galvan is good if you want to slow the game down to a snails pace as he dribbles into oblivion.

Positive of this team:

1. (And only one) They have heart. The only game I felt we were completley out of was the 3-2 loss to Chicago. Saturday's game was the worst performance of the year by far but we are an Adin Brown miracle (and a missed handball) away from being 1-1 with 35 to play.

So, the negatives outweigh the positives. Bob put the team together so he's certainly to blame for that. How far can heart carry this team? We're down to seven league games (and an Open Cup semi).

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JR11's criticisms aren't baseless. It looks like Bradley's suffering from the same syndrome Arena had last summer with Agoos - he's sticking with a veteran "character" guy too long, and it's hurting the team.

That said I'm still much happier supporting this Metro squad than either of the previous seven editions. What JR11 failed to address in his rant is BB's greatest asset: Neither he nor his team ever panic. Yes, that makes them sluggish to the point of being laconic at times, but it also ensures that they never, ever lay down and die. And that is a 180 degree turnaround from a Metro tradition I'd rather see become a distant memory.

Bradley's not perfect but he's certainly done more good than any other person associated with the club through seven years, with the possible exception of Tim Howard. I've still go plenty of confidence this team will re-discover its form and charge into the playoffs.

8. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    I would look at it simple this way. This team has defiantly over achieved for the year. I wouldn't have expected us to be where we are right now before the season started. If things had gone a different way at the beginning of the season we would be talking about who we were going to draft for next season right now and not think about the cup. I think that the wins this team has this season have fooled us into thinking this team was better than the team we saw last Saturday. With that said for the most part it's been impressive what Bob has done with the talent he has.
    Just my .02

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    RIGHT ON ABOUT THE BOCA BOYS!

10. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Certainly Bradley's larger than life legend is somewhat hollow, and the team is most definately benefitting from the fast start this season, but who would have believed that the team would be in second place in the conference in mid September and, until last Saturday, show a never say die quality in every game this year? I didn't expect great things from them this season, just a good solid showing each game and a steady improvement as the schedule progressed. I don't think it is time to man the lifeboats just yet.

11. Redhammer

Redhammer New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    how can 90 career wins and the best record in MLS history all of a sudden be questionable after a loss you moron!

12. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    So are u saying that u rather have OZ back rather than Bob????? C'mon give me a break... Before the season started the Metros were picked by almost every analyst to finish last in the East.... It it wasn't for Bob and the new attitude that he brought with him we would be dead last! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!! Everyone should thank Bob for what he has done so far... And why did almost every analyst predict a bad season for the Metros?? because we dont have the personel... and guess what they were right-WE DONT HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING TEAM!!!!! and if at some point during the season u thought we had that winning team- thank Bob again!!! The only 2 reasons i have hope for this team is because they are my team and thats how a fan should always feel and of course because we have Bob!!!
    So if we dont end up winning anything this year dont blame Bob, its because we were never supposed to!!!!!

Forchetti and Galvan would make an impact on any other team?????? ARE U SERIOUS????? the only reason why i dont bash them right now is because they are on the metros.... just because they came up throught the BOCA youth system the are DYNAMITE now.... there is a reason they dont play: cuz they shouldn't!!! have u even watched Forchetti pass a ball??? or Galvan fake himself out???

VIVA METRO VIVA BRADLEY

13. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Well.. I knew I wouldn't make friends with what I had to say.

However, no one should take what I said as a slam against the Metros. I love the Metros and I'll even say I'm probably their biggest supporter, I firmly believe that no one has gone to the lenghts I have to support them.

What I am trying to say is that everyone kisses this guys backside all day long. I'm glad that the players have a never say die attitude , that's the persona I want everyone to have when they wear our colours. However the overall product on the field...from day one has been questionable. Game in and out the players never seem to be able to put together a full quality game for 90 minutes. I just simply don't understand why Bob isn't able to stamp out the simple aspects of the game.... positioning , movement of the ball, and even which players should and shouldn't be playing.

Sure we look better then the previous years ... it was bound to happen it's been 8 long, long years and it's only a ten team league..in a league this small with the favoritism we've been given it was going to happen. What will set him above the rest is him being able to build apon this year. Second place is pretty sweet but after this weekend one loss for us and a win by United and we are in third and staring the bottom half of the league dead in the eyes... It's time for Bob to reach this hype and bring us to the next level.

14. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    I don't see your problem with Bob's draft picks....he can't make water into wine. I think Bob has done a heck of a job with this team. The fact that in some games Woly is your best forwards doesn't speak to his coaching ability, it speaks to the fact that Moreno was completley worthless and Magee is what he is, a young, developing striker who needs time. Mathis is always an enigma, seemingly wanting to drift in midfield when I think his style still more fits a poaching forward, but thats neither here nor there. Bob didn't inherit a great team in NY, a solid one? Ok, fine, but Pope and Jolley got injured, and that didn't help things. Bob already did what he did so often for the Fire and grabbed an overlooked future star in Ricardo Clark, he'll come up with more, and your team will get stronger. But, with Digi and Ziadie playing defense I think you are expecting a bit much. Barth. isn't ready yet, but he might be useful in the future.
    Needless to say I hate Bradley for leaving the Fire, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a quality coach and has you guys in line for a playoff birth. Ask the NE Revolution if it matters where you are seeded....

15. psycho killer

psycho killer New Member

May 26, 2003
    NJ
    I think Bradely has done a good job with the team considering what he's had to put up with this season. I think we should wait to pass final judgement when the season is over. Sometimes it's tough for the players themselves to get motivated at this stage of the season. Besides the weather and crowd were both dismal last week, it wasn't just the team. Let's wait and see how this Polish guy does. Judging by Bradley's ability to spot talent like Guevara, Walker, Gavin, etc. I have a feeling he'll be pretty good. And you'll be back talking about Bradely as coach of the year after we play the Crew.

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I'll be one of the first to admit that I've scratched my head over some of BB's moves. The whole Akwari AND a # 2 pick for Regan still confuses me. I don't know why players like Edgar and Magee don't get more time when those on the field at wingback and striker are obviously not earning their keep.

HOWEVER:

I realized something after the Rev loss. Last year, when we lost to DC at home, I knew it was over. We still had 2 games left, but I knew it was over. Now that's not the case. We've lived through 2 seasons of utter hopelessness (99 and 02) and more than a few that were close to it. I LIKE honestly believing that we have a shot at a title. I believe that not because of the immense talent on the roster (because half the roster can't even drink yet), but because of the attitude of Bob Bradley.

Finally, I don't know what everyone sees in Galvan. Every time I've seen him play he seems to be out of place. I did like what I saw out of Forchetti, but honestly (to take a page from Haig's book) Who do you want to sit down? Ziadie? No way in hell can Forchetti be a wingback. He's not even close to fast enough. He's a center back, and he happens to be a CB who is NOT as good as Pope and Jolley. End of story. He'll get his garbage minutes, and he'll get his starts when one of them gets hurt, but his only chance to start with a fully healthy squad is if BB switches to a 3-5-2. Same goes with Galvan. He's not really fast or dangerous enough on the dribble to play wide, so who sits? Clark? Guevara? Lisi? NO. You can like the players and still see that they are down there on the depth chart. If they were a striker and a wingback, they'd be starting by now. But they happen to play our two deepest positions.

17. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    I'll bash them for you. The Boca Boys are weak. In the games they have played I was never impressed except that argentinians can still rock out the mullet.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    The slump started for the metros with that Wednesday afternoon game with KC. The boys are probably still dehydrated from that fiasco. I'm elated with the teams performance this season since I didn't expect them to win 4 matches all season. So I think Bob's a miracle worker.

19. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    I agree with JRedknapp 11 to an extent. I would say:

1. Bradley is a better coach than Zambrano (no-brainer)
    2. Bradley has done a good (not great) job this year.
    3. Bradley has not lived up to the hype that accompanied his coming here as coach.

Those on this board who were saying that we were picked to finish in the basement so we should be satisfied forget three things:

1. Chicago was supposed to stink too. Sure they had big names in Razov and Beasley that remained but they lost a lot of players and as I understand it had tough salary cap restrictions. Sarchan has done a much better job in evaluating talent and fitting pieces than Bradley has.

2. For the umpteenth time, there are no rebuilding years in MLS. Every team should be competing for championship at the start of every year. Last three MLS cups have featured teams that did not make the playoffs the year before. With the nature of contracts and transfers there is little guarantee that your most dependable players will be here next year. With that type of uncertainty had can you build for next season? It is very difficult.

3. 1-4 at home against division opponents can never be acceptable. The East is the weak sister of MLS! How can we be 1-4 at home? (Hopefully things improve against Columbus this week)

Bradley is good. He has not lived up to his hype as "soccer genius" and in fact at times has shown himself to be far less than that. All I could say about Bradley right now (and there is time left in the season. Judgments are not final) is that he is an above average MLS coach.

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    still dont understand why he got rid of Davis and Williams, we have five good players and that's all, he dismented the whole team.

21. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    One key reason why he was sucessful with the Fire was that he got to build the team from scratch, rather than walking into a team where there were players still under contract from the old coach

22. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Akwari is horrible. Bradley offered him to every team in the league and couldn't get ANYTHING for him. This is the best deal he could have gotten. And that "gem" Akwari spent most of the season playing for the Cincinnati Riverhawks.

Because Davis doesn't play defense Magee has more potential. Because he couldn't keep Williams AND sign Guevara. Why the hell do we have to go back to all of this?

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    And Magee plays defense? he can barely stand up.

24. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Davis is a midfielder. Magee is a striker. Do I need to draw you a diagram?

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    if you like