Metros - Revs Pre/Post Game Thread (R)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JRedknapp11, Sep 12, 2003.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Pre Match Info :

**Joey and the Revs return to the Garden state after a wild US Open Cup encounter two weeks ago down in Rutgers, with the Metros picking up the win in extra time on Amado's golden goal. Our last regular season matchup saw the Metros say goodbye to Tim Howard and also saw a dramatic comeback with three goals in the second half to earn the hard fought point at Gillette Stadium.

Metros - Revolution -- 7:30pm Giants Stadium

ALL-TIME head-to-head meetings:27 meetings, Revolution 12 wins (3 shootout), 44 goals … MetroStars 14 wins (2 shootout), 53 goals … 1 draw

INJURY REPORT: METROSTARS – OUT: F Jaime Moreno (herniated disc) … NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION – OUT: F Taylor Twellman (concussion, facial fractures); PROBABLE: F Chris Brown (R leg contusion)

SUSPENDED: NE: Rusty Pierce (through Sept. 13)

Metros 2003 Home Performance--Ranked#8
    Home Games--10
    Home Pts--15
    Home Record-4/3/3
    Home Goals For--14
    Home Goals Against--13

Revolution 2003 Away Performance--Ranked#5
    Road Games--12
    Road Pts--11
    Road Record-2/5/5
    Road Goals For--15
    Road Goals Against--21

Player Stats:

Metrostars Top 5 Performers :
    GP MIN G A PTS SHT SOG
    Clint Mathis 16 1471 9 1 19 65 31
    Mike Magee 22 1459 6 1 13 37 20
    Amado Guevara 19 1706 2 8 12 53 31
    John Wolyniec 17 897 4 2 10 27 17
    Mark Lisi 19 1557 0 8 8 16 6

Revolution Top 5 Performers:
    GP MIN G A PTS SHT SOG
    Taylor Twellman 19 1618 13 4 30 72 38
    Brian Kamler 22 1863 6 2 14 27 16
    Joe-Max Moore 15 1090 3 6 12 40 18
    Pat Noonan 21 1071 3 6 12 25 13
    Steve Ralston 19 1699 2 5 9 16 9

Between the sticks:
    Metros GP MIN SHTS SV GA GAA W L T
    Jonny Walker 7 666 48 39 26 0.95 2 2 3

Revs GP MIN SHTS SV GA GAA W L T
    Adin Brown 19 1788 106 73 31 1.56 6 6 7

In the News :

Metros-China Post Game Wrap-up and player news:
    http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1063173045284130.xml

Metros add a Polish touch to the team:
    http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1063084243297460.xml

The week in Review:
    http://bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJ...lRUV5eTY0MjM4MDkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

The weather forcast :

According to the fine people at Weather.com:

Saturday:Rain/Highupper 60s/low in the mid 60s.

Transportation Info :

NJTransit.com
    www.mta.nyc.ny.us
    Hertz.com

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    I'm feelin' a 3-2 win for us with Mathis getting one, Lisi with one and Amado getting the last one and assisting on the other two.

3. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    Lisi won't be getting one unless he scores from the dance floor at his sister's wedding. Doesn't anybody in the Lisi family have an MLS schedule? How about getting married on a Sunday so the guy can play?

4. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    well it just goes to tell you the kind of support and believe they have for one of it's own. It's a crying shame!, so he is NOT going to play or is he?

5. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Lisi's absence isn't that big a deal. Bob should shake up the midfield anyway and this gives him an opportunity to do so. Look for Galvan or Gaven to get a look, in a more offensive minded role than Lisi usually plays. Mathis and Woly up front.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Revolution are reported to go without:

Taylor Twellman (injury)
    Joe-Max Moore (injury)
    Chris Brown (injury)
    Rusty Pierce (suspension)

Revolution's 3rd forward is going to be developmental player Ibrahim Kante.

The Rev's starting forwards will be Pat Noonan and Dario Fabbro...

... yes, feel free to snicker.

The odds of the Revs scoring two goals are as good as Mathis giving up the sauce.

The Magpie

7. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    As much as I 'd enjoy seeing us shut down the Revs and give them a goose egg in goal department..you can't count them out completely. Ralston and Cancela are very hard workers in the midfield and create and finish their own chances without the help of a Twellman or Brown. Plus , I'd also say that Noonan is a threat as well, certainly he's no clinical finisher but the guy shoots from all over the outside of the box which makes him a threat...he also scored one against us in New England comming off the bench. Metros play a little to relaxed at home and I think this is where Revs midfield will come into play.

8. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yea, the Rev's midfield seems to have become a much more fluid unit, then it has been ever, I guess.

Ralston is a great player on the right, while Cancela has given them that offensive spark that they didn't have last year.

However, even with all those players that are out, I really do not believe the Revolution have any chance against the Metros, unless we gift it to them.

I really hope we give it to them, because the Boston ego in ALL sports, no matter how horrendous their team is, is pervasive and sickening.

9. amar

amar New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Lisi's absense is unbelievable.

I expect Mathis to move into mid, and Magee and Woly up front.

amar

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Mathis moving to mid sounds like the most logical idea. But it kinda sucks since it seems like he found his touch back. Either way, here's hoping for 3 points.

I'm back at school in East Providence, and I can't find the channel that carries this damn game!!!!

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if Mathis didn't play up front given our lack of tested depth at striker. The logical thing seems to be moving Clark back to holding mid (Lisi's role) and then getting either Galvan, Gaven or Barto out in the attacking midfield.

I'm a huge Lisi fan, probably the biggest on the board, and I have to say I'm disgusted he's missing this game. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite the Metros.

12. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    What's up with Lisi?

Has anyone ever heard of a professional athlete (a starter no less) missing a game because of his sister's wedding? It makes MLS look bush league.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I remember a professional athlete hitting the beach in the south of France for some warm sand therapy,
    instead of returning to play for Metro after the Euro Championship.

:::::excuse me while I check out the single babe in the white bikini bottom over here to the left of the screen::::::

uhh.... New England, right. They really stomped Chicago recently; they were missing starters for that one, too, just like in the rugged OC q'final.

Gotta take these guys seriously from the first whistle. Clint up front will tie down their defense; play him in midfield and we take pressure off their D.
    Either replace Lisi at mf with Galvan (or somebody) or play 3 mids and 3 forewards. Score some goals of our own.

14. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    Re: What's up with Lisi?

It kinda does but it's not like these guys are making multi-millions. If they were I think you'd see family members be a little more careful about scheduling events like weddings.

15. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    He's not missing MLSCup for gods sake! He's not even missing a playoff game. He's a role player on a solid team who is missing ONE game against the last place team in our conference so that he can go to his sisters wedding (a once in a lifetime thing for alot of people). Cut the kid some slack.

16. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I really think the coach should start Gaven, this kid
    has speed and accuracy, and very aggresive, these are the qualities we have been missing in recent games.

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based solely on the China exhibiton, I am guessing Edgar.

18. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    My projected line-up:

-Walker-
    Ziadie-Pope-Jolley-DiGi
    -Richie-
    -Clark-Guevara-Edgar
    Mathis-Magee

Projected substitutions, barring injuries, etc.:
    Juskowiak for Magee '64(if "J" is available)
    Galvan for Edgar '76
    Regan for Williams '87

19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    add to that
    Mike Nugent

my starters:

Jonny Walker

Steve Jolley
    Eddie Pope
    Craig Ziadie
    Edgar Bartolomeu

Ricardo Clark
    Amado Guevara
    Richie Williams
    Joey DiGiamarino

Clint Mathis
    Mike Nugent

20. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    I'm not really trying to give Lisi a hard time. For me, it's more a comment on our league. It just struck me as bizarre. As Jerzy Rebel pointed out, it probably comes down to the money. If it's the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB, there's no way the sister's wedding trumps a game, regular season or playoffs. Of course, those guys could rent a private jet to fly them out to the wedding as soon as the game ended.

21. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    On the other hand, I'm older and probably more cynical about weddings than Lisi is. I'd probably skip my sister's wedding just to coach my daughter's rec soccer game.

22. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    When the wedding was scheduled last year, Lisi was having a horrible season with the Metros, so his sister probably figured he'd be out of MLS by now.

Just a thought.

23. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    I know people who have booked wedding dates 2 years in advance. I don't think Lisi is a bad player but at the same time I don't think he'll be overly missed.

24. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    BS... he should be at the game ! is he a PRO or what? If we don't get the 3 points and miss MLS CUP than it will be a real shame for Metro fans.
    i for one think he's played a great year and feel less secure without him on the Pitch.

25. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    [sarchasm]
    Yeah it i'll be all Lisi's fault if we miss the MLS Cup.
    [/sarchasm]