Remembering 9/11/01

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by house18, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    As I watch the the memorials for the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks It made me wonder what other people on this board have soccer related memories of that horrible day. I was coaching college soccer at the time and was planning on going to our office to make a highlight/motivational video for our weekend road trip but when I saw what was happening I stayed home and watched the tv coverage from around 9am until I left for practice at 2pm. Fortunately we only had one student-athlete with a relative involved and she was fine. Our practice field, as well as our game field were directly in flight paths from our airport and it was very strange that day and the next couple of days to not hear a single plane fly over. Somehow the rest of the season whenever we had a home game a plane would fly over during the national anthem, almost as a reminder. Whenever I think about that terrible day I will always think about that team and my fellow coaches that I shared such deep emotions with. May whatever higher being you believe in bless America and our allies.

2. MikeyPez

MikeyPez New Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Jersey City NJ
    I was in Ecuador, it sucked but really didn't phase me.

3. Joey BoomBotz

Joey BoomBotz New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    NYC
    This is how I feel: [​IMG]

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    and you live in NYC too... pure class

5. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How ironic supporting the French NT. Go frog yourself.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went to see Reading v West Ham in the League cup. Full house. Amazing game (a 0-0 draw, but with 47 shots, then a victory on sudden death pens for Reading) with an amazing atmosphere - which was quite strange as other than the game there was only one topic of conversation. Even the supporters club bar, which normally has sky sports on, was showing the news instead. In fact, thinking back, except during the match itself, nobody really even talked about the game.

I've no doubt it was different over here. It was less personal and people weren't emotionally involved. I just remember work just stopped when first person (me as it turned out) managed to get on to a news site and saw the first picture of what a few had heard about "some plane hitting the twin towers". From the moment that picture came up on the page it was clear that this was the biggest single news story since..well I don't know, since most people were born. It sounds callous, but in some ways people can't handle seeing several thousand people die - it's too much to take in and it doesn't have the emotional impact it should. And although it's terrible to admit it, there was a morbid curiosity about it. It was FOX news on show in the supporters bar and their news coverage was commentary over a 60 second loop of "highlights" of the events of the day. They'd never show someone being killed by being shot in the head or dying clearly on camera in a car crash, as that'd be too nasty, but 3000 dying in a collapsing building is fine. Several hundred dying in an instant is fine for TV as you can't see them dying (and who's ever seen an actual plane crash before?). Even people jumping to their death was fine, as long as the camera cut away before they hit the ground.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oh yeah, because the French celebrated it didn't they :rolleyes:

8. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    With 1200+ posts on this board, you don't
    know what a troll is?

9. Thriller

Thriller New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Following one step b
    Soccer events related?: Real Madrid didn´t stop playing their game for that, and I agree, cause if you´re going to stop your work for any tragedy that happens in this world, man!
    I remember complains about not cancelling Real Madrid´s game due to US tragedy, but wonder how many times US events stop every time there´s a tragedy outside[​IMG]
    You see you´re not the only one or the most important

10. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone talks about 3,000 people dying and its relevance and this guy says, "Who cares?" I don't think I'm a troll - I'm a f#C@!$# martyr.

11. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I started this thread because 9/11 was very soccer related for me and I wondered what other soccer related things people had, such as a moment of silence at a game or being at a game that day or being a player and practicing or playing that day. Perhaps even knowing someone who died that you played with or who was a big fan of a team. It's sad that some of you are too immature to have a serious discussion, about anything related to the real world. Please don't post on this thread unless it is a meaningfull soccer related memory of that horrible day.

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    When's the last time over 3,000 people were simutaneously murdered at one time?

If this happened in Madrid or London or Paris, we would DEFINITLEY care. And we'd go help bomb the people who did it to you.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    [​IMG]

You're welcome.

14. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was a sophomore in high school...I remember being in Italian class when someone came in and told us to turn on the TV. I even remember the entire day and what happened in each class...2nd plane crashed in Italian, towers collapsed and news about the Pentagon in History, a bunch of speeches and rumors of the State Department being bombed and about the 'missing plane' which ended up in PA during my Spanish class. I watched TV in all of my classes for the rest of the day...there were people leaving because they knew someone from NYC or knew someone who was flying out of Logan that day...my soccer game was postponed and I didn't get any homework so I went home and watched it on TV until about 11...I kept my radio on all night and woke up every now and then hearing about how maybe someone had been rescued...then I woke up the next morning and thought 'holy shitt this all really happened.'

The main soccer related thing was watching the Champions League (Arsenal maybe?) the next day which showed a match from the 11th, since the games on the 12th were postponed, and seeing consoling signs from the British fans.

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    IMO this doesn't belong here + it makes very little sense = I don't really care either.

Pardon my french (le haha)

16. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is sad how people have forgotten so quickly. Today I never really heard anything about it being 9/11, and I LIVE ON THE SAME ISLAND AS THE WTC! I know people who had to move because of the attack, and I know people who lost friends and family members on this day (although I didn't know any of the victims). It is two years later, but by the way people are acting about it, you would think it is 32 years after.

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I must be reading this wrong. Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but are you laughing at what happened?

18. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Hey SABuffalo786, if you by chance have a picture of American paratroopers fighting to liberate Eindhoven and Nijmegen during WWII insert it here.

Talk about ungrateful. :(

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I put up the US and the Jack this morning. I haven't forgotten.

There are a lot of silly children who didn't quite realize the enormity of what happened and their attitude reflects it. It was like a video game to them.

The frogs and the dutch spent a lot of time helping Hitler out by sending "their" jews to the death camps. (Read or watch, "The Sorrow and The Pity")

Why should the idiot grandchildren of these people care of what happened last year over 3,000 miles away.

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No you're reading it wrong. Le haha was directed at the pardon my french... with the whole freedom fries thing and such.

Soccernova please :rolleyes:

21. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good, because I felt a red card coming on.

22. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Amen brother. If it wasn't for the U.S. and the British these jokers would be singing "Deutschland uber alles" today.

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Pherhaps you should investigate a bit more instead of basing your blabla on a show you saw.

And pherhaps, just pherhaps you haven't got a phucking clue about my grandparents. I would love to have you say this to my face, but alas.

It was a shocking event. It's sad that so many people died. Really. And I'm very sorry for the people they left behind and NYC as a whole.
    But wtf is the overall value of a thread like this? It's a crap thread. So I agreed on the I don't care thing.

Excuse me for not hanging out the stars and stripes today. Why would I do so for people who are having a blast in the politics forum over their boys going to kick some ass in Iraq? They phucking loved it (pherhaps an exception here or there). Man was that funny, right guys? Kinda like a videogame.

Gimme a break.

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We'd be 3 times world champion as well. You win some, you lose some.

25. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Ok, roarksown, that's a misunderstanding.
    I wasn't implying that you were the troll, but
    the poster you were responding to, Joey
    BoomBotz was. This was is second post ( I'd
    be curious to see what the first one was...)
    He joined this board this month, we can see
    this, maybe today, with one intention in
    mind: stirring $hit, obviously. And it seems
    he succeeded. I suspect he is someone else's
    sockpuppet.
    End of that story, for me at least.