MLS Fans after-Game Ratings: Galaxy versus United on FSW [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Sep 7, 2003.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you happened to catch the game on TV or was there in person or listened on the radio or whatever, rate it on a scale from 3 to 10.
    3= worst soccer game ever
    10= highly enjoyable/entertaining

If you want to, discuss the game or what not.
    In the future, maybe there should be threads on the games that were on FSW and ESPN2 since a lot more people have the chance to see them. It could be a weekly thing on every Sunday rating games that were played on Saturday on FSW and/or ESPN2 (or via Shootout).

2. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    As much as I enjoy watching MLS games, FOX Sports World sure found a way to make it nearly unbearable to do so.

Positives:

-It's soccer

-It's MLS

-With ESPN2 it makes nearly half of the weekend's MLS games

Negatives:

-FOX Sports World does not know how to mic a crowd.

-The broadcasting team(s) are unbearable.

-Camera angles often make watching the game a total eyesore.

But all of these complaints aside, I thought that Saturday's game, from a completely soccer standpoint, wasn't that bad. Well, I should rephrase that. From an entertainment standpoint, the game warranted about a five or a six. There were sloppy passes, poor crosses, and overall lousy performances from both teams, but it was at least end-to-end action.

However, the announcers were miserable (as always.) Their voices aren't television friendly, they make inane and pointless comments, and they rarely focus on the game. The camera angles were slightly better than usual. But what's always the kicker for me is the crowd noise. Crowds are what help draw a viewer into a game. How can you, when you can't hear anything the fans are doing. It sounded like a cavernous hole in RFK, and I know that that wasn't the case.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved watching this game. I watched it on the Shootout package so I got Bretos and Hopkins (who do the local Galaxy package), who I love as announcers. The crowd atmosphere was great; reminded me of '99, etc.

I thought the game was well played too. Good individual skill and team dynamics exhibited by both teams. Toss in a couple of great strikes on DC's part to the get the fiesta started early, and you had a quite a mix for a good game.

And yes I like a weekly thread about the "game of the week" on the MLS board; it's easier than being a neutral and having to dive in on one team's boards or another where everyone is so damn defensive about "outsiders" - whatever that is - making a trollish comment.

Anyway, thought it was a great game. A good advertisement for MLS.

4. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Significant portions of yesterday's game were some of the best soccer I've seen this season. Fast-paced, skillful passing, tenacious D in these portions of the match. Yes, of course there were some bonehead errors, but all in all, it was a fine exhibition of what MLS can be. (Now if only the final score could have been different...)

The crowd was superb. Whoever got the supporters groups seats at midfield on the TV side deserves a gold star.

So I'm an incorrigible pollyanna. Sue me. It was an "8" in my book.

5. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I began watching it on FSW and then noticed it was on the Shootout and promptly switched over. The crowd noise was better and Bretos and Hopkins blew away the two dinks that were calling the game on FSW.

I just love how stupid Bretos gets when a goal is scored.

The enjoyability of the game jumped from about 5 to an 8 once I switched over.

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it on KCAL-9, an L.A. station. They had Bretos, too.

7. Iancam03

Iancam03 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2003
    So CAL
    With the exception of the Galaxy's hideous road kits, the game was entertaining. I live in LA so I was cursing the Galaxy for their horrible play and poor passes bouncing all over the pitch and their long balls, but DC United looked better than the Galaxy on this night and they have an element the Galaxy do not have, outside shooting.

My only problem is with the actual goal frames themselves at RFK. Why do they not use Quick goal. So that when someone scores the ball does not bounce off of one of those support bars. This takes away some excitement from goals being scored.