Lonely JOB

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Sep 2, 2003.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=30490

Long article with pix about JOB back to training, by himself. Shots of him running etc. Still tender when he cuts and accels. He's keeping his spirits up. Won't predict when he'll be back - he learned with the recupperation from the other achillies (this is not the same one that kept him out last season.) that it is very difficult to know... etc. etc.

Sounds like he's still a good distance away from playing, but that things are moving along slowly. Someone whose Dutch is better than mine can provide more details.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I hope he is better in time for WCQ, which starts in a few months.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ajax pays the man

Don't look for JOB to be back with the national team until the latter rounds of qualifying, if then.

We certainly don't need him getting injuried in some god-awful rutted field on St. Kitts when the score is already 4-0 after a 5-0 home win in the sirst leg.

4. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    John O'Brien stays positieve.

Amsterdam, 2 september 2003
    A lonely Ajacied stept tuesday on to the trainingfield. It was John O'Brien, the injured defender who came to do runningpracticing. However no other player was on the field it was visiable the American enjoyed beeing busy on the field agian.

John O'Brien checks his trainingsinstructions .

John O'Brien takes the notes, puts up some markerings and starts running. "It will take a while'', he says when he noticed the reporter. Adding at the next walkby: "We can talk in pause''
    O'Brien spended the last time at revalideren of an achillesblessure. After beeing out for almost 5 months in the last season due to a infection at his feet, the misery with the achilles at his other feet started after this summer. The American trains since juli at the "Toekomst" and in the fitnessroom. "Thats why I am so happy beeing able to train on our field again'', says O'Brien. "It gives the idea Im making progress''

The American cant yet say when he will be matchfit again.

However progression is visable, the defender doesnt dare to make any predictions abouthis return. "No, Im now allowed to run again, but I cant do all yet, at turing and sprinting its still senitive. I wouldt want join the group again as soon as posible, but I learned last year that its hard to say when its going to be''
    Is a second achilleinjury mentaly not a heavy blow? "When you ask, you'll bring negative thougts in my head''. ,,I try to think as posible as I can. Last year I begon fit and missed a large part of the season. Now we do the revearse: Im starting injured and are going the play the rest of the season'', the friendy 'Californian' says.

O'Brien hasnt been frustrated watching the poor play of his teammates from the stands so far this season. "It was exciting but Im not worried about the play. When the big matches are comming we play better football. Im also positive about that''

[i]I did a quick translation dont mind the spelling[/i]
    Btw frieslander its your turn the return the favor, join the eredivisie profcoach! : )
    Oh wait this isnt frieslander, its Freisland... mhhhh
    Freisland you do know the region is called Friesland or in frisian Fryslân?

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fu. st kitts is my home country. its a great island and the fields arent sh!t, but then again im sure you've been there and could verify that they are? just for this i hope my 130+ ranked team pulls out a win.

6. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the translation.

Biggest note to me is that he's running again- I know it's not an indication of how soon he'll be back, but it is progress.

Sounds like the guy has been through hell and back. I sure hope he recovers quick.

7. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    How can JOB be lonely
    Joseph Desire JOB

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for a comparison, i've been to the virgin islands. beautiful place. friendly people. but their soccer team still sucks ass.

lighten up. i don't think that he intended to be rude. ;)

9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while I certainly am willing to accept that the St. Kitts fields are lovely and would make a PGA putting green look like the back 40 in an Oklahoma pig farm, the point is that SOME of the fields we see in the Caribbean are a leg injury waiting to happen.

So before I insult sombody from Grenada or Barbados or Haiti, let's just make a non-sensical name that won't insult anyone. Nevis.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    YOu know...I had no idea it was the OTHER Achille's.

I just assumed it was the same one as last year. That's pretty damn strange...

At least it's a start that he has started he road back. We need Red back playing, and would be nice to see him get more than 3 CL matches this year with Ajax.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    :rolleyes:

calm down there partner...

[​IMG]

JOB kept running, and running, and running...

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Re: Re: Lonely JOB

Thanks for the translation, Rutger. Your Dutch is clearly better than mine (so is your English...)

Yeah, I know the region, (some of my family is from Leeuwarden way back when) but my typing skills are lousy and I didn't notice the mistake until I'd already registered, so I'm stuck with it (It does let me know who is really Frisian, tho - they always notice.) How's Herenveen going to do this year?

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, both his achilles have been knackered?
    Wow.
    I hope he's invested his earnings wisely.

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    richard, who is that striking young woman in your

:)

15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Let me be the optimist! Given all the time off that JOB had as a result of his various injuries, his legs are well rested and are probably as springy as those of a 21 year old. He is going to be with us for the next three to four world cup cycles.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got two words for ya:

Marco van Basten.

Three words.I got three words.....

17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FU!

I have been to Nevis on vacation and the fields/beaches there are pristine!

Just for that I hope we kick some American butt in the WCQ's...assuming the team can get the day off ;)

18. elderado

elderado New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    New York City

Um, I didn't know that Detroit was a caribbean island?

19. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
  20. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I'll be pessimistic and not expect JOB back in 2003.

If Ajax makes it through the Group Stage of the Champions League (ending in December) maybe he could play in the knockout rounds (starting in February).

I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shows how ignorant you are. although i dont like nevis, they happen to one of the most luxurious islands in the caribbean. british royalty such as princess di have been going there for years. gosh.

23. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Food and Travel forum is an excellent spot for discussing the various Caribbean Isles. I'm still looking for the one I wouldn't want to back to. I think I need to visit a few more. Surely the one must exist.

25. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    monserrat (sp?), st kitts' neighbor, is ok but im pretty sure u would not want to go back ,especially after being to other islands. and imo ALL of the bahamas are sh!t unless u want to go to the hotel atlantis on paradise island, but still...