Man Utd chases Adu

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by NASL Fan, Aug 16, 2003.

1. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is on the youth teams board, but it belongs here, no?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1020422,00.html

"Fergie chasing 14-year-old Adu

Ian Whittell
    Sunday August 17, 2003
    The Observer

Manchester United have opened talks to sign American teenager Freddy Adu. At just 14, Adu is considered the world's hottest teenage football property after recently agreeing a $1million (£630,000) sponsorship deal with Nike."

The world's hottest teenage football property?

2. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'd liek to see him playing in a Real Madrid jersey...ManU would be good too but playing in Real Madrid would be phenomonal for him as it is his favrotie team........all of this once hes 16 or older tho eh.....his moms doing a good job raising him

3. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like to see him play in first team in MLS first, but I would hate to see him end up in Dallas. Chances are he won't make any progress there.

4. paddyhokie

paddyhokie New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I am pretty sure he only wants to play for DC United. A player of his quality could probably get MLS to let him play for whatever team he wants. If he does go the MLS route for a year or two playing at DC would be awsome. I'd also love to see him in a Red Devils jersey though.

5. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    i read he said both utd and real were his teams but that beckham had tipped the scale. Anyway i dont think nike will allow that.

6. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    So he could take years and years of waiting for Nats to prove what kind of player he really is...yeah...go DC, where prospects go to retard their skill.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55957-2003Aug13.html
    That's Les Kershaw, director of ManU's youth academy.

See, there's a new FIFA rule against the international transfer of children. What's going on is that Freddy's agent is getting it into the media that Freddy might go to Europe, the likely purpose of which is to get MLS to give him an extraordinary deal. Alot of people are getting fooled.

8. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if he would play in the MLS...would that give a bost to american media n popularity of soccer......?

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Europe can have him when he's 18 but 'til then he's ours or we will start a very large soccer riot! :)

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    This is a dilemma of Landon-esque proportions. What I mean by this is that we have a great talent (I don't think anyone will dispute that) in Freddy Adu, but what are we to do with him?

I personally am one who thinks that Freddy could make soccer big in America. He's black, intelligent, skilled, and nice, in other words, infinitely marketable; a Kobe Bryant (without the sexual assault) for American soccer. However, if he makes the move to Europe right away, what happens?

People will go to MLS matches just to see Adu, not to mention increases in jersey sales and commercial deals. This is a kid that even ESPN is already aware of. Again though, if he leaves for Europe before playing in MLS, what happens? Sure, he may develop into a better player (this is certainly debatable though), but is it worth it?

Whatever happens, it'll certainly have its advantages and its disadvantages, but it certainly raises some very interesting questions.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/en/organisation/player/transfer.html

I swear, you people are gonna learn. Either the easy way, or the hard way.

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never sinks in and it doesn't help that the media talks like the rule isn't even on the books.
    You'll have coaches like Everton's making statements that he'd like to have Freddy come and train with them regardless of the fact it states in a clear way that he can't unless he's in the EU.
    Freddy will be signed by MLS soon and when he's old enough they can pay a nice transfer fee if they want him. :)

13. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    So when does Freddy leave for Manchester?

:p

Kidding aside, Szetela is probably more likely to move soon. He is being scouted quite heavily now. Has a Polish passport I believe.

14. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I had thought this was the case but the whole idea of a foreign team signing Freddy threw me off (I guess.)

Besides, didn't FIFA also make a rule this year about leagues reducing the number of teams and players not removing their shirts?

BTW, I just found this on espn.com. The point is that a flashy player with phenomenal skills can turn around an entire franchise/league. Let's hope the same could happen with Adu in MLS.

15. RuudvanFan

RuudvanFan New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    After the success of the Champions World tour this past summer, I imagine there is a lot more Europe on its way to America in summers to come. And it's not as much to "take over" as it might seem, it's to help. Just think of the money that will be pumped into the MLS and into youth soccer programs as a result, maybe even amateur soccer leagues. Adu's involvement with Manchester United, if that does happen eventually, will only strengthen the link between European and American soccer, continuing what's happening already with Tim Howard and soon Bobby Convey. And of course their door-opening national teammate successes like Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, and Claudio Reyna just to name a few.

Freddy Adu needs to be in an environment where every aspect of his being is carefully looked after - this is the best way for his soccer genius to improve. And as good as he is now, a place like Manchester United knows how to make him even better, even if he stays in America for another year or two.

United would not be tempting him if they were not sure about his potential and their ability to develop it further in the right ways. If Adu's desire to improve is there and his attitude is right, United can help him so that his tremendous talent does not fade or get lost in the shuffle somewhere.

The worst thing is for a talented young player to have a bad experience, like Landon Donovan, or be in a place where no one is sure what to do with him or how to oversee his transition from prodigy to full-fledged first team phenom, but Manchester United is very smart about what they do and very experienced and successful with developing young talent.

16. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me a cynic, but ManU is a business. They are interested in Adu now, because they hope to lock up a future talent at a discount price, rather than have to pay ten of millions later. There are any number of talented, but not good enough, youth players who have gotten lost "in the shuffle" of ManU's academy. It's the nature of the business. Adu will not get 'lost' no matter where he goes, though one can argue the relative merits of MLS vs. ManU's academy as it will impact his development, but it is all speculation.

17. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    Hypothetically speaking, could any European team that wanted Freddy create a proposal where his mother would also come (Fro would be in residency probably at this point) and give his mother a job at the team or at some partner? That would use the first condition of the FIFA rule to let Freddy go.

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    No.

Search around and read the link superdave has provided on just about every Adu to "insert Euro team here" thread.

19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    A poor idea for an article....a rehash of a previously poorly written article, extrapolation without facts ("closing in") and the lack of discussion of SuperDave's point....makes these writers look like buffoons...

But I guess there are deadline to fill, as well as space on the pages...

It is freakin' unbelievable how much pub Man. U. has gotten in US sports pages this year....I don't think anyone would have believed the number of articles generated...talk about branding (here)..unreal..

20. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, of course, has nothing to do with Man'Ure signing young Americans to their program...and I don't mean Freddy.

21. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    His mom moving may not work in England because of the work permit issues, but what about a country like Holland?

22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    dude...seriously...the link is only one page back....read it

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's gonna be the hard way. ;)

Interesting thing about that article...no ManU staff were quoted. Compare that to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55957-2003Aug13.html

I would believe an attributed quoted that goes along with the FIFA rules than an unattributed story that goes against FIFA rules.

24. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the story: "A likely scenario for Adu, and one that could become increasingly popular for young American players, is to sign with a European team before age 18 and then be loaned to MLS for a year or two before meeting other transfer criteria."

This is what's going to happen. MLS wouldn't be able to get him, now, without breaking its salary rules and breaking the bank.

Freddy Adu will be playing for DC United next year, living at home with him mom, and probably going in the off season to train with whatever European team buys him. It'll be a win-win situation for everyone involved, except that MLS won't get the benefit of the multi-million transfer they would have gotten had they managed to sign him a year ago. (My question is,, did they try?)

25. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Never mind looking up articles or Fifa's rules, if you have a copy of CM4 look at a player with a club under the age of 17. (eg Rooney at Everton) They aren't contracted to the club for any fixed period. They can train within the club's academy and so on, but the club can't "lock him up" as such.