Dilemma for Future Tar Heel Harris

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by P.J.B., Aug 11, 2002.

1. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Apparently US U-19 Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris is having trouble at home with the local school board, who plans to penalize her for her soccer-related school absences. Just read the following article:
    http://studentsports.theinsiders.com/2/57867.html

I think this is ridiculous!!! Especially for a student who has maintained a 3.5 GPA. What do you guys think?

2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Ridiculous is right

I wonder what the inside story is on this. Could be politics, a battle between a principal and a school board, or between two factions on the board, or could even be community soccer wars of some sort. I hope somebody on our board knows what's behind this.

3. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    RE: Dilema for future TarHeel

The power plays that occur around elite high school athletes are amazing. These aren't limited to the local school boards either.

A local high school player who had been the starting center mid-fielder for the ODP regional team for two years, gave up an opportunity to play in an inter-regional team event. This occurred during her freshman year when the high school was in it's first-ever state quarterfinals. The state policy was that if left the team during the tournament, you were ineligible for the entire next year. She chose to stay with high school team. The ODP team promptly ignored her for the next two years--starter to nothing.

You can't win.

4. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    RE: Dilema

PS: Maybe this partly answers the question why elite high school soccer athlete are leaving for college early!

5. RD

RD New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    NC
  6. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
  7. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Threads merged

8. Personally, politics aside, I am in favor of a student putting school first, speaking as somebody who did not apply himself well in high school. Especially in her situation, as a soccer player, and one who is female, she needs something to fall back on. She needs to milk the academic side of high school for all it's worth (which is not to say don't try out for the schoo team). The fact sadly remains that the WUSA is successful, but may not remain so. She needs something to fall back on vocationally.

9. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Ashlyn's dilemma

Not that I know what's best for Ashlyn Harris, but there is a lot more available at a university than at a high school, both academically and vocationally. If she's a smart girl, and her ability to enter college early makes me think she is, she might profit much more intellectually at UNC than she would at her high school. That seems very likely to me.

Socially could be a different matter. Hey, she'll miss the senior prom!

10. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Ashlyn's dilema

The decision to leave for college early is a difficult one. There is no best answer for everyone. For Amy Steadman, the answer was easy--go early. She travelled 3 hours to practice club ball, had no High School team and lived in a smaller town that had fewer academic resources.

For Ashlyn, the decision is different, but being jerked around by local school administration will probably answer the question.

Coming to UNC isn't easy academically. It will always be academic shock for small town girls, less for kids from suburban and private schools. In addition, Anson requires the players to carry more than the average UNC load so the girls will graduate in 3.5 years and finish their education before being drafted into WUSA.

Good luck to Ashlyn!

11. Foudy118

Foudy118 New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I understand that 39 days is alot of schol that is missed, but i think a good question would be is is she making up the work? i assume she is if she posseses a 3.5GPA. if she is making up the work or is bringing the work on the road with her, i dont really forsee a problem. if she can keep up with the rest of her class and could possibly go to UNC sooner, she is a damn smart kid. i say if the work is good and she is doing well dont fail her andlet her be how many other kids can say they are representing their country and thats why they are missing school?

Tanya