Dutch rivalries

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by AFCA, Jun 6, 2003.

1. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ajax - feyenoord
    Without a doubt the biggest football rivalry in Holland and one of the biggest in Europe. Has seen many very violent clashes and incidents in the past resulting in the tragic death of Carlos Picornie (rip). A lot less of that around matches lately due to extreme security measures. Still a recipe for violence anywhere and anytime throughout the country.
    The rivalry can also be translated to the traditional Amsterdam - rotterdam rivalry which climaxes around football and since the 90's house music.

Ajax - utrecht
    About the same as above. In hooligan terms a bit older than Ajax - feyenoord as the utrecht bunnikside ruled the early era of hooliganism and the likes in Holland. utrecht - Ajax matches are usually very tense on the pitch as well. Not as much hatred as between feyenoord and Ajax, but not friendly at all. Utrechters came to conquer Amsterdam as early as the 16th century :D

Ajax - Den Haag
    Den Haag never was a very big club. But off the pitch this was a major battle between the two sets of fans. Somehow (and this goes for me too) there seems to be more respect between DH and Ajax than utrecht and feyenoord. But still a very intense rivalry that has turned violent on many occasions.

Those are the most logical rivalries... the four biggest cities. The four all are each others rivals but the hatred towards Ajax and Ajax supporters is always a bit bigger.

Other rivalries:

Fc Groningen - FC Twente
    For years these were the only two teams so far to the north that could really compete. Also a quite violent history. Appears to have cooled down a bit.

Fc Groningen - Heerenveen
    At the moment the two most northern teams. This rivalry is full of comical stunts fans pull. Painting statues, setting up customs-booths at the border of Friesland (the province Heerenveen comes from), etc.
    Not really violent since Heerenveen hardly has a hooligan element.

Heerenveen - Cambuur
    Local rivalry with both clubs being from Friesland. Some violence from the cambuur side as their hard core has a bad reputation. Cambuur is from Leeuwarden, the biggest city in Friesland. They consider themselves not to be 'Friezen' as they are self-proclaimed city boys. Not Frisian peasants. Whatever :D

Fc Twente - feyenoord

Very intense rivalry started after a Twente fan was stabbed to death by a feyenoord fan in the early 90's. Has seen quite some violence in the past. Twente and Ajax are about the only two groups who have some respect for each other. Mostly because of the shared history with feyenoord I guess.

NAC - Willem 2

Local Breda - Tilburg rivalry. Has seen some funny situations as the Tilburgers try to teach their adversaries a lesson but just aren't big enough. For years Willem 2 was the bigger club... that has become less.

Roda JC - Fortuna Sittard

Local Limburg rivalry. Has seen it's share of violence in the past. Seems to be fading away slowly with Fortuna and MVV down and probably even out before long.
    Same goes for Roda-MVV and Fortuna - MVV.

Haarlem - Telstar

Local rivalry kept alive by +- 80 troublemakers. Ajax fans have been involved in the past on Telstar side. But hardly anything special.

NEC - Vitesse

Very intense local rivalry between Nijmegen and Arnhem. First time Nijmegen is really laughing in years. Turns violent every now and then with NEC having a quite violent hardcore and Vitesse trying to keep up.

Anyone else know any? I'm all out.

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    j/w how a club as big as psv can't have a rival?

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They have rivals... but the rivalries aren't as fierce. NAC is the main local rival. And the big four of course. But PSV has always been a bit of a sidekick of the big four in that sense. Weren't taken very seriously for many years too for lack of a notorious hardcore. Lately they've been compensating though :D

Main rival (of course) is Ajax.

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    AZ - Ajax

AZ is from the town of Alkmaar, about 40 kilometers to the north of A'dam. Ajax fans usually had a soft spot for AZ, but they hate our guts. Choose the feyenoord side but it doesn't really make any sense as they are nothing. Was a time when there was a local group of troublemakers, but where they are now? No one knows. Really hate us :D

5. pollie

pollie New Member

Well first let me correct AFCA, there is a top 3 in the dutch league, and not a top 4, at least I wouldn't know the fourth one.

PSV doesn't have any real rivals like ajax or feyenoord mainly because we don't have any big cities or teams nearby. amsterdam and rotterdam are actually rather close and they are the two main cities in the netherlands, that's why they are rivals.

However ajaxfans consider feyenoord as their rivals, PSV are their main competitors if you look at recent results.

the title is back where it belongs:
    http://www.psvonline.nl/mutelayout/web/index2.html

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The 4th team will be FC Den Haag :D

Now where's that....ah, here it is

7. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This is interesting,
    I never knew Groningen and FC Twente were rivals.
    Also Heerenveen-Cambuur ?
    Cambuur Leeuwarden hasn't been in the top divison for a few years now, hence I'm not aware there's a rivalry.

8. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Twente-Groningen rivalry also started because of an incident: A Groningen fan was run over by a car of a Twente supp....
    As AFCA said: the intensity is less than 10-15 years ago

9. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Does any one else like to see White-Green Pride post? I know I do. All the cool kids call him Wit-Groen, by the way.

10. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Like a cool kid whould say:
    "Wit Groen is een oen.
    Zijn kleuren zijn van een verschimmelde meloen."
    :p

Btw dont forget the amateur divisions.

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    When I say 'big four' I actually mean the 4 big cities.

12. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If there's anyone who looks like a molded melon, it's that 'Abe' of yours.....16 jaar alweer...:D

13. pollie

pollie New Member

so you consider FC Utrecht, Feyenoord Ajax and Ado Den Haag to be the top teams?

I always consider ajax and PSV to be the top teams, feyenoord is obviously the third team in the netherlands, they hardly ever win the title. Ado Den Haag are 'sleeping giants', they will do good next year. And Utrecht is just a good team who fight to get 'into europe' every year.

14. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No.

They are from the 4 biggest cities. Try reading what I write :D

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    De eerste keer denk ik dat er meer Nederlandstaligen in een topic posten dan die geen Nederlands kennen. :D 5 tegen 3

Tenzij pollie een Zuidkoreaan is die een Eindhovenaar nadoet. :)

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Mooi stukkie hollands glorie. zo hiero op BS.

t is wat :D

17. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hoho!....

RutgerB telt niet mee, da's een fries ;)

18. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Rutger kijkt in zijn paspoort... nee geen Fries :p
    Rutger kijkt bij geboorteland... nee geen Nederland :p

Jaja Rutger heeft een excuus voor zijn beroerde Nederlands en Engels bij tijden.

19. pollie

pollie New Member

I tly to do my best oscal

20. RaJitsu

RaJitsu New Member

Anyway, back on-topic. AFCA forgot a main one, namely FC Den Bosch - ADO Den Haag

21. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    And why is that?

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FC Den Bosch supporters and Den Haag supporters vinden elkaar niet aardig, daarom. :(

Ik zou bijna zeggen geef die gast een Oscar. :D

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, good one RaJitsu!

Den Boshc and Den Haag are mainly rivals (as far as I know) because they were the only two teams in the 1st division with a serious hooligan element (except maybe cambuur and for a while Fc groningen). Because of that they had quite an interest in one another.

Reminds me...

FC Groningen - Den Bosch. Also a pure hooligan rivalry as far as I know. Believe it started after serious trouble at a Veendam - Den Bosch match. Groningen fans who were kicked out at (dunno where) went to Veendam. One Den Bosch hardcore got stabbed in the neck there and I believe another one received a broken arm. Pretty nasty stuff I reckon the Den Bosch side won't forget soon.

I dunno what it is up in Groningen, but there's some real mental cases up there. Came close to murder twice in the last three or four years. WGP, you have a big paintfactory up there or what :D

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    rotterdam is closer to Belgium than it is to Amsterdam. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Other rivalry:

NAC - feyenoord.
    Oldschool hooligan rivalry. No idea when or why it started. Do recall seeing a writing on the wall of the former NAC stadium 'Vak S aan het mes'. Not too friendly either.

25. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First, let me state for the record that I am not a hooligan, not at all.

I don't have all the insights, just what I heard/read on FCG boards. The stabbing at Veendam was widely denounced by most 'old school' hooligan elements...a hooligan fight is with your fists, not with knives.
    Anyway, in 99 there were a lot of new kids in the Z-side, mostly bandwagoners looking for some cheap thrills. And yes there are some real nutters among them. The confrontation with Den Bosch was the first 'pitched battle' since a long time so all the newcomers wanted to be there. I guess someone lost his cool in the thick of things....