Yanks Abroad FAQ

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by zpjohnstone, May 21, 2003.

1. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, looking at the Timmay thread, this probably makes the 25th (i'm really not exagerating) mis-informed discussion of Work Permits, Citizenship, Passports, etc that I (and the rest of you regular YA visitors) have had to scroll through in the past few years.

While I don't blame people for being new and/or uninformed, I do blame people for posting incorrect information in a matter-of-fact manner. I also blame people for asking questions that they are too lazy to google themselves. But that's a little besides the point.

What I'm getting at is the need for a YA FAQ that covers these issues.

While I realize there is a lot of information that is only peritinant on a per-case basis (like Hungary's naturalization process, for example) that wouldn't really be appropriate for a FAQ, there is also lot of information that is always pertinent, and almost always rehashed in one way or the other.

Anyway, I'm not volunteering to do it, as there are certainly better informed posters out there, but I think I wouldn't be that hard (Shoot Buff, Dark, Dave M-N, and Sandon probably already have done all the research) and it would certainly be of service to the board.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think it's a really good idea -- the Timmy situation may still have caused a lot of confusion, but I'm sure that Buff is tired of pointing out that most friendlies don't count towards WPs. I'm not the best person to write it either, but if people want to start posting suggestions, faqs, as well as info, I'll compile it all into one formatted post and sticky it at the top of the forum.

3. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's start the process then. Basically, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying we can use this thread to draft it and you'll clean it up. Something tells me we already have all the content within the YA area, it's just broken up into pieces, so I'll try and find a few to start.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People off the top of my head that should be able to help draft this:

Dave Marino-Nachison
    Panic
    Buff

maybe a couple of others.

Also keep in mind that England and the rest of Europe differ in many ways so you might want to have subsections of that list.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    To be honest, I've never really bothered learning this stuff... If I ever need help, someone has been able to give it quickly enough. So I guess someone else would have to do it...

If anyone has questions about the "Son of All..." list I'd be happy to answer them for the FAQ.

6. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if a YA wants to play in England, and he doesn't have any ties to any EU nation that could help him out, how does he qualify?

He must qualify for a work permit. Work permits in England are granted when a player has been capped in 75% of "A" international matches over a two-year period from the date of the application's entry. Not All Friendlies Count.

Only matches of an official nature (World Cup games, qualifiers, Gold Cup, Confed Cup, etc) count.

In addition, it is sometimes possible to petition for exceptions, most commonly in the case of an injury which had kept a player out the rotation.

7. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was kind of assuming that it would take on that sort of organizational format.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know about Panic, but I think Buff's been pretty busy lately, so we should just try to put this together by committee. Good idea about the Son...thread FAQ.

Maybe I'll try to motivate and work on the YA links pages as well.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There is an inherent problem with this idea (and I think one of the many sources of general confusion) and that is that FIFA, the British Gouvernment, the US Government, the EU, EEA, FA, UEFA don't even follow their own rules most of the time. There are exceptions to EVERYTHING at any given time. I'm afraid a "master list" thread would be longer than the "Son of YA's" sticky. It's just a world of shifting sands (and the reason I should have become and immigration lawyer like my mum begged - but that's just 'cause she wanted to try out for Bolton.)

10. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    before I forget, my favorite-

I heard if you're an American citizen, and take on another citizenship, you have to renounce your citizenship.

You can't serve in a foreign army, vote in a foreign election or serve in a foreign government, but you can have dual citizenship and still be an American citizen.

And anything I'm putting up surely needs some additions and fact checking . . . .

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Here's one I've always been confused about:

Is it possible to obtain a passport to a country without becoming a citizen?

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Depends on the country, I think. Some have a clause in the oath of citizenship requiring the renouncement of prior allegiances, others don't. Of course, if you automatically qualify for citizenship, such as being born in that country, the oath should not be necessary.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FAQ

I generally lurk but I'll mention my favorite YA pet peeve. The UK work permit isn't a soccer specific issue. If you want to work (teacher, soccer player, archivist, engineer, etc) in the UK there are strict work permit regs for non-EEU folks.

http://www.workpermits.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=1558

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is even more "interesting" than that. For instance, if you take your US oath you foreswear all allegiances to foreign princes and potentates ya-da, ya-da. But many monarchist countries, such as Canada, only recognize such renunciation if it is in writing, so they let you keep your citizenship even though you've technically given it up.

Some countries, (such as Tonga, if memory serves,) have at times sold passports that don't confer full citizenship. There's all sorts of interesting things ou there.

16. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    I got this info from the UK embassy, so I think we will be able to take it as the final word.

CRITERIA:
    A player must have played for his country in at least 75% of its competitive 'A' team matches he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application; and,

The player's country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application. (I haven't seen this posted)

COMPETITIVE 'A' TEAM MATCHES:
    The following games can be considered under this category-

The definition of a competitive 'A' team international match is a: World Cup Finals game; World Cup Qualifying group game

Football Association confederation tournament game, for example: The FIFA Confederations Cup; The UEFA European Championships and Qualifiers; The African Cup of Nations and Qualifiers; The Asia Nations Cup and Qualifiers; The CONCACAF Gold Cup; The CONCACAF The Copa Caribe; The CONMEBOL Copa America; The OFC Nations Cup and The UNCAF Nations Cup

INJURIES:
    Regarding injuries...

Exclusion from selection for international matches due to injury or suspension will be taken into consideration when applying the criteria. Clubs should submit supporting evidence in such cases stipulating the games the player has missed.

It should be noted that where a player is listed as on the substitutes bench, he will not be considered as injured when reaching a decision on a work permit application.

And finally, LENGTH OF ISSUE

First Applications: the work permit will issued for the period of the player's contract up to a maximum of five years.

Subsequent Applications: if a club wishes to retain the services of a player, they should submit a new application before the work permit expires. If the work permit criteria are satisfied a permit will be issued for the period of a player's contract up to a maximum of five years.

Change of Employer (transfer of player): a club wishing to sign a player from another British club must submit an application to Work Permits (UK). If the work permit criteria are satisfied a permit will be issued for the period of a player's contract up to a maximum of five years.

I hope this is helpful to everyone; if not, I apologize for taking up too much space

17. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    This is interesting: as I understand it, Earnie Stewart has dual citizenship (US and Netherlands). According to the Dutch embassy, you must renounce prior citizenship to become naturalized. Can anyone help me out here?

18. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    Also thought this might help on the dual-citizenship thing: (this is from the US State Department)

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.
    A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Did I say I would compile this info? Whoops...

Please be sure to include links when quoting other sites -- it will make the job easier.

20. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
  21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No - please help. I just meant this will be a lot of info when we are finished. Thanks a lot for the help. (I just want to include links with the info in the FAQs.)

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, the Dutch government has not caught him yet. :) Anyway, Stewart was not a naturalized Dutch citizen. He was born a Dutch citizen.

Do you know whether he would lose his Dutch citizenship if he finds to be a dual citizenship?

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this is of course subject to an appeals process, where youth international appearances have also been accepted in various cases (Baros at Liverpool, Olsen at Forest).

The length of issue part of your post is very imformative, as it provides insight to some of the problems players like Kirovski, Lewis and Friedel have run into over the years.

As for Earnie, because he was born of Amercian parents, he is eligible for US citizenship. I believe he would need to establish his US citizenship prior to his 18th birthday if he wanted to maintain both. I guess he would have done that during his time in the US as a youth.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great thread, my knowledge on the topic was purely practical: Once you start a trip on a passport, it's always a good idea to finish the trip on the same. And never, ever, let anyone at customs see you pull out two different passports...
    esp. since 9/11. Here's how I learned the thing, if it's helpful to anyone:
    Essentially, the rule for getting a work permit is the same for soccer as it is for any other job: that you, or rather your proposed employer, have to be able to prove that no current citizen could perform the same task at the same level you could. Soccer just is easier to quantify than engineering because there are no elite national engineering teams.
    The point is to stop a flood of unskilled labor that could hurt the national economy, but encourage a flow of highly skilled labor that will improve the economy. The EU deal messes that up a bit, as all current citizens in England now includes all EU citizens.

25. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there are any toes to step on. But on that note, you look like the perfect candidate to take this thing over;)

I was just planting the seed. I already have a job that requires all too much documentation.

Maybe we should start with a list of questions we think should be on there, then get the answers? I don't know, but it sounds like a decent way . . . . .