Why does the US call it soocer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Plo Koon, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plo Koon

Plo Koon New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    I have wonderd this for years and never asked. As an englishmen it pisses me of when the us come along and call a sport, were you use your hands 70 percent of the time football. Football has been arround in england since the ruling of henry the VII. so why did the us change it to soocer

2. PeterJBL

PeterJBL New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    London
    Well my fellow Gunner, it stems from when the codes split, leading to Rugby, real football and that horrible version they only play in the US and are so isolated that they call their domestic champion a world champion.

Don't worry yourself about it. More people outside the US watch world championship chess than the Superbowl (that's not a joke), and it's faster.

3. Plo Koon

Plo Koon New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    lol

lol thanx, I have to give it to the U.S. though at least they try to play football, their really crap at it but at least they try. They want to give up there stupid superbowl and join the rest of the world in the rugby league. Lol they couldn't hack it, they would be crushed by the english and australians.

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay, by posting now maybe I can stop some of the flames you're about to get.

Soccer is an English word. It's a shortened form of football's real name, association football. It was invented by the upper classes in the 1800's to distinguish between association football and rugby football. The working class won in the end and we have football and rugby instead of soccer and football :D

I have no problem with Americans, Aussies etc calling football soccer but I despise any Englishman, Scotsman or Welshman doing it!

5. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for the quick history Prenn. This is one Yank who uses football in relation to our "soccer" and American football for that crap played in the NFL. But in the end, it doesn't matter what you call it as long as it is the beautiful game. (Italy calls it calcio, we call it soccer--doesn't really change that it is the world's greatest sport).

6. DaveUnited

DaveUnited New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Dude, your totally correct, Soccer should be called football all over the world.
    But American Football has been around for so long that it would be impossible to get everybody from around the world to call Soccer, football because they are used to calling American football, football.
    P.S man, Arsenal suck! Go team United! I hope they win tonight.

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the term football first came into use in the 15th century, the 'foot' part of the word had nothing to do with how players moved the ball. It was intended to indicate that the game was played on foot, rather than on horseback. And besides, I would hate to have to call it footkneethighchestheadball.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, it would be footkneethighchestheadandhandswhentheballisoutsidethelinesorinthepenaltyareaandyourthegoalkeeperball.

Umm, Dave, you want to bet on "tonight's" match? ;)

9. DaveUnited

DaveUnited New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Sure,
    I forcast a win by team Manchester - 5-4 with Dave Beckham to net the decider.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay. I'll take a 2-2 draw, with Van Nistelroy getting first goal, Giggs getting last goal, Campbell getting a straight red card, and .... let's say 2 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the match.

11. ManInBlack

ManInBlack New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    VT
    And one, and possibly both, of the Arsenal goals offside.

12. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: lol

No to be too defensive, but did you happen to see that last World Cup thingy? I do believe that incredibly inferior American "side" lost 1-0 to Germany on the same day that the English lost as well. Not bad for a team that IS crap.
    Cheers................

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An odd coincidence that they happen to call it soccer in Australia and Ireland, too, eh?

14. DaveUnited

DaveUnited New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    No Way!
    U.S.A were the best team bar Brazil. We showed why the foreign players all want to play in MLS.

15. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    horrible? ************ u euro

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He's talking about the NFL. You know the NFL: 15 minutes of action jammed pack into three and a half hours.

17. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    There's actually 15 minutes of action? I thought it was closer to 10. :D

18. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Probably less, considering the 15 minutes are split into special teams, offense and defense.

It is difficult to play more than 15 minutes when you have to run back and forth to the locker room to shoot steriods.

19. PeterJBL

PeterJBL New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    London
    Re: lol

You missed the World Cup then, I see? Ref: Crap at it.

20. PeterJBL

PeterJBL New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    London
    I'd rather watch 24 hour WUSA than one hour of a seriously overwieght guy in a helmet take 40 minutes of oxygen after running five yards.

I'm English, NOT European!

21. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    American football players are stronger and faster than their rugby counterparts. Also I think that the game brings more average attendance from multiple cities on a week by week basis than any other sport in the world ( racing doesn't count because they usually just have one big event in one big city per week). Oh yeah, we call it soccer because we can. You don't have to follow tradition when you're the one in power. We can call it suckmyamericanball for all i care since that's what the rest of the world likes to do.

22. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The football/soccer thing can be weird, but you just have to remember that things are a little different in the U.S. You say lorry, we say truck. You say flat, we say apartment. You say crisps, we say chips. You say Ray Parlour, we say Ray Living-Room. :D

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    alright. i'll bite to defend American football vs. rugby I'd rather watch the Americanized highly incrimental hard hitting and offensive action than the long, slow, grab-ass, put the ball backwards three times to go 5 yards, with guys that can't take more than a few steps to hit each other, most of the tackles with guys simply being dragged down.

24. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
    i've never called anything 'soocer' in my life.