the viability of Phoenix as an MLS city

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by yellowbismark, Apr 15, 2003.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0412/1538143.html

The Cards have broken ground on their new stadium. The article mentions specifications to include international soccer. The stadium is indoor/climate controlled, with a movable grass field.

Phoenix is one of the top 15 largest markets in the US (6th largest city in US, and booming suburban population). There is a large latino population (not that that necessarily translates to a successful MLS market), they drew 35-40k for a Mex-Yugoslavia friendly last year. I think of Phoenix to be a soccer-starved city in the same mold as Houston. However, Phoenix has demonstrated itself not to be a great sports city. And perhaps they are a little saturated. As for potential IOs, well, not sure if Jerry Colangelo is much of a soccer fan, but he sure likes owning Phoenix sports franchises. And we can speculate Bidwell might be interested in filling dates during the summer. (btw, not sure who controlls the revenue for the new park). Though I don't think Bidwell would be a good MLS owner anyway, given his portfolio with the Cards.

More plusses: the indoor stadium should make the summer desert climate a non-factor. Its proximity to Los Angeles and Colorado could help build a couple more derby rivalries.

Minuses: saturated market, poor track record of support for other teams (but maybe they're waiting for soccer ;) ), too large of a stadium...

I would think this should put Phoenix in the same category with Philadelphia, Seattle, and Houston--of course, no ownership, but a worth consideration.

This stadium is quite aways from being completed, but I would hope that the USSF schedules a game there. I think there is potential.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't want Bidwell within a country mile of MLS

besides, based on past experience, most of Phoenix would end up cheering for the burn.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, they were also listed as one of the top overextended sports markets in the United States recently.

4. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Phoenix will have to make do as an occasional site for the Uncle Phil's Traveling Mexican National Team Circus because it's not likely to get an MLS squad any time soon, IMHO.

Then again, maybe Bidwell could have E. Smith play striker to bring in the fans.......

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like most places - get an A-league team, sell lots of tix. Then have a talk w/ Uncle Phil.

FWIW, I also think Phoenix is an over-extended market. The D-Backs draw well, but the Suns don't sell out anymore. The Cards are the worst drawing NFL team & the Coyotes well... (The Coyotes do have possibly the best sports commercials - ever. Its a series about how tough their fans are.)

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summer Soccer in Phoenix...bitchen!

7. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    On one hand, markets with large retirement communities historically don't do so well at the gate unless the team does very well. Phoenix, Tampa, congratulations.

On the other hand, America West served the Suns well for a couple years longer than they deserved. A majority of the seats in Sun Devil Stadium are outside the 20s. The new facility will probably do better to secure the Cards future in 'Zona, but not in an overwhelming manner.

The math says this is not a good bet for MLS. If it were MFL...

8. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    If the league expands to 20 teams then maybe. Right now Phoenix doesn't seem to be a great market for MLS. Too much competition.

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing positive to say about Phoenix, huh? Oh well...

10. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Not saying he's showed any interest in MLS, but Phoenix resident Andujar Moreno has agreed to buy the Anaheim Angels for $180 million. He's listed by Forbes to have a net worth of $940 million. He's also a minority owner in the Suns and D'Backs, but of course will now have to sell his part of the D'Backs.

11. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When I first saw this headline, I thought "Is this joker kidding?"

But now that I have gotten word of the Cardinals having a brand spanking new indoor climate controlled stadium, Phoenix could very well have a chance.

I know Phoenix has either a D3 or PDL team, the Arizona Sahuaros, whom I nearly tried out for, allthough I'm not sure how their financial success record has gone. Phoenix is a good sports town, and an indoor stadium would be the only way to stand the Desert heat, and since the Cardinals would not be using it during the summer, this could be a lucrative chance for an investor in the Phoenix area to land an MLS team.

Odd the Yugoslavia-Mexico match was brought up, my Yugoslavian friend was at it :).

Getting back to business, one would wonder who the main investor would be. Possibly Jerry Colangello, or his son, who now runs the Suns, but unbeknownst to most people, there could be a very dedicated man to this option. His name is...Alice Cooper. Yes that's right, the same Alice Cooper. Alice is a BIG soccer fan, and is the largest minority owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and has been opening businesses in Phoenix since the seventies. If Phoenix were to try for an MLS team, I truly believe this would be the best man to try and get it done.

Sebastian

12. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    post of the year.

13. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    does it show a dude burn his elbow on a hot iron, get hit by a truck, etc cuz they use the same one over here for trashers and hurricanes just change the words

14. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    As a Phoenician, I just have to say...
    Build the stadium, kick out the Bidwells, and give the A/C-ed desertdome to the MLS, and we'll show you what great fans we have.
    P.S.> Pro soccer would draw as good or better here than most current MLS cities. (New York/New Jersey?)

More later...

15. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    Since MLS wants a big take of the revenue stream at the stadium that means the Bidwell's would have to own the team (since he gets all the money-they say).

Considering that the Pointy Ball fans are disgusted with the Bidwell's (which has been shown by the recent horrible attendance) I don't think I would want the Bidwell's to touch a soccer team. All week long all I ever hear is the Card''s fans disgust with the team.

But who knows, maybe this new stadium out in BFE (acutally it is out west) will turn around the crowds. It will certainly help in the early part of the season since the fans won't have to sit in 100-110 weather in the sun.

Just as an aside, the stadium is pretty cool. Especially the field, it a giant tray on rollers that is rolled out into the parking lot when it is not in use to make sure it gets plenty of sun.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are the ones. Well, I guess they are so good they can be transferred anywhere - just slap a team logo up.

17. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    What about an SSS stadium in downtown Phoenix? Don't you want a stadium in a central location?

18. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    Only if it is fully enclosed and air conditioned! So that means really really really expensive.

I love soccer, but sitting in the sun to watch a game when it is 110-115 outside (which is most of the summer!) is something I would not do. Even if it is an evening game, it will still be hot-like 105-and if there is a breeze it will feel like your sitting in front of a hair dryer.

If the games were at 5 a.m. I might be willing to go (since it will be in the upper 80 to lower 90s).

I just don't think Phoenix is a viable market for a soccer team (MLS or MFL). My perception, from people I work with, friends, etc. is that a lot of the hispanic (Mexican) population has been here for generations (they were here first) and now days, with the exception of the food (and occasionally still speaking a little spanish), they are just Americans-with most of them having the common American apathy toward soccer. Sure, there are some recent arrivals, but I don't think they would have enough clout (bodies or financially). In other words, there is no special ethinic group to try to get out to the games, so then the team would have to compete with all the other big league teams in an saturated market.

Of course, I would be happy if someone put up the money to prove me wrong. I would be one of the first season ticket holders.

19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the Mexicans you know don't like soccer, but how does a general Mexican ambivalence explain the almost 40,000 in attendance at B.O.B for Mexico-Yugoslavia?

Now with that said, I don't think Phoenix would be a great MLS market, I would guess that Phoenix would get KC-like attendance.

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Same thing for the lousy Sharks.

21. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    PHX would be a great market for MLS, and we really can make the A/C dome a great soccer stadium. I think that a SSS will never be built here, as it truly HAS to be indoors (what penadamaz said), too expensive.

As evidenced by Los Tricolores matches at BOB, we get a lot of interest here for the game. The D-Backs and our arena football team are the only real summer draws here (unless the Coyotes or the Suns go far into the playoffs). The facility being built is mostly public-funded and owned. They would be fools not to bring in a summer tenant and mask off the upper deck for soccer games.

Ownership is the problem. There is a lot of $ here in the Valley. Losing $ for several years running always turns off investors. Hell, I don't even think that Garber, et al. are willing to even consider a franchise here for a long time. Studies on the pro market say that PHX is saturated.

We do, yes, have an MPSL team here, the Arizona Sahauros. But we can do better.

Soccer-starved!

22. penadamaz

penadamaz New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    McDonough, GA
    40K for the game at BOB-lots of folks driving up from Mexico (it is only 2 hours) and it was right before the World Cup. What about the only 24K they just had for the Mexico game a few months ago? And again, what says the 24K folks would support MLS instead of staying at home watching a MFL game?

Maybe Phoenix would get KC like attendance-Metro Phoenix is roughly twice as big as KC but it does have 2 more sports teams than KC I believe (Hockey and Basketball).

Of course, with all the disgruntled and boycotting Card fans, maybe a team could convert a few folks :)

23. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Which is the reason why Phoenix will never get a team. The days of expansion teams playing in non-SSS stadiums are over.

24. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    How about a SSS with a roof that covers the seating to protect fans from the heat like Seahawks Stadium and Texas Stadium?

25. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    The roof for Seahwaks stadium is more for the rain, and I've heard that Texas Stadium gets ridiculously hot during August and September games because the air is pretty much trapped, and I believe Texas Stadium is pretty much a dome with an opening just over the field.