The DC United Community Thread [Various R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The Official DC United Community Thread [Various R]

What the devil is this?

I’ve been thinking about setting up a thread of this sort for quite some time. Now with the season kicking off in a few days I’ve decided to give it a go. This is a test run. If it doesn’t work or has no broad appeal then we’ll do away with it.

Part of what we’re doing here is building and maintaining a DC United community. The needs of that community are, for the most part, met by the usual discussions we have about things specifically related DC United. But they are not completely met by those often formal discussions. This thread will hopefully fill in the gap.

This is an “open-topic” thread but it is not a free-for-all. Anything goes here as long as it’s related to the DC United community broadly articulated. Or, to put it differently, what’s on topic here is anything you’d like to talk about with the other posters specifically on this board.

So the thread will be informal but it will not be without its boundaries. It is important, I think, that the thread maintain a fairly broad appeal. And while the tone of the thread will not necessarily be serious, there’s no reason why serious discussion can’t happen here either.

And, I should say, what exactly a thread like this may be or do is really up to you. If you’ve got comments then please post them below.

My question for the day …

Other than DC United’s, what other MLS matches are you looking forward to watching this weekend? I'm gonna miss it myself but I'd like to see New England on Sunday. I'm just curious to see if they've maintained their form from the playoffs last season.

2. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Okay, since this was apparently a little off-topic on the official pre-match thread, I'm moving it here...

Apparently, "Chemical" Chico's top aide-de-camp, a shadowy figure known only as "The Captain," is still at large. U.S. intelligence sources have indicated that both "Chemical" Chico and The Captain are expected to appear regularly in both Lot 8 and Section 135...

3. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    "The Captain"

[​IMG]

(Sorry, couldn't put three images in one post.)

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    INFIDELS
    The Captain's coming!! Shock and Awe...;) Also, don't forget the DCU half hour show on Univision this Saturday at 10:30 am.

5. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Chico,
    How can the DC United community go about getting Univision and the other Spanish language stations to subtitle in English?
    These programs offer alot, but so many of us "gringos" miss out.
    Mark

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If I could watch any other match besides ours, I think it would be the Columbus/Metro match so I could see how our old boys do with the swampdwellers.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think I want to watch that match. I'm worried that they'll do really well. I read today about how Moreno feels renewed and is in his best shape in years. He gave credit to the environment around the Metros. If I watch that match I worry that I might end up having to break the TV ...

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Page 1!!

:D

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  11. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
  12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think we should change the board tagline to the quote below from Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the (ex-)Iraqi Minister of Information.

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

13. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    That dude ruled - he was the MD/PhD of Spin Doctors! Even with all of the truly serious stuff going on, he was a seemingly endless fount of unintentional comedy. If we change the board tagline, we have to be sure to attribute the quote to Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf. Or we could use that old chestnut from Gulf War I that Beavis and Butt-Head used to use: "The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers!"

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Sorry but I would rather personally crown everyone associated with the Metroscum (all their past, present and future players, coaches, and fans) as Members of the Greatest Organization in the History of the Universe and kow-tow before them in awe and reverance than change our boards tagline to the above saying!

[Cue Opening to Carmina Burrana (sp?)]
    "I will fight you on the beaches, I will fight you in the hills, I will fight you in the pubs, I will fight you in the nudie bars and I will NEVER surrender!"

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyone else get an ivitation to a private reception following the game on the 19th?

:)

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: Re: CONCACAF Champions Cup Results

Cue me loading the revolver and pointing it at you.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I remember now what it's like to be in season. It's Thursday night and I'm already antsy for Saturday. Several times today I've gotten the idea in my head that tomorrow is match day. Then I realize my error and begin to worry about how I'm going to get through till Saturday. I've already discounted the idea of doing anything much productive until Sunday.

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Seems most of us are anxious for Saturday so am I. I'll have Shootout and Fox Sports World there should be very few MLS games I'll miss. I'm gonna be an MLS nut.

I just joined a scrub coed outdoor soccer league, and I was invited to play in a more competitive mens indoor soccer. So I've got 2 soccer games on Sunday, one indoor, one outdoor. Thing is I haven't been in a soccer league in over 10 years! But I just got a permanent job in the DC area so I can finally go to practices and hence join a league.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Couldn't agree more man. This is exactly how I've been feeling lately.

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ### MODERATOR'S NOTE ###

-- Merged to the community thread --

This is precisely the sort of thing that this thread is good for. My other alternative was just to delete it because it's 1) off topic and 2) in somewhat bad taste. These are not (wholly) impediments on this thread though.

Also, as interesting as that thread is, don't troll on the Metros' board.

22. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I nominate Knave for DC United's Minister of Information.

23. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Not sure if this is the place for it or not, but I figured the mods would kill a full thread on the subject.

Check out the small banner ad for FSW's daily soccer telecast below. Very nice addition.

And don't forget Arsenal v. Man U tomorrow at 3pm for the title (more or less).

24. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
  25. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States