Bradley: Crystal Ball

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Mar 11, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    is he really bob bradley's brother?

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got San Jose and Chicago as my 2 teams at the bottom. I think both teams lost too much too quickly and do not have enough time to recover this season.

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

lol

yes... they look a great deal alike, although they might be insulted by that :D

4. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    yeah i guess i just never made that connection

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My order in finish (in single table format)

1. LA (will probably set MLS points per game record-- not goals, points (although they might do the goals too)
    2. Clb (finally put it all together-- no weak spots and speed, speed, speed)
    3. KC (best all-around defense in the league-- could be better than the 2000)
    4. DAL (good team, we'll see how the strikers do. Can Jeffries handle all the talent on the team. Only one ball for all of them.)
    5 COL (don't have the offense to finish higher, but they will look awful pretty between the boxes)
    6. MET (Have talent-- Just skeptical at this point)
    7. DC (too many unanswered questions at this point)
    8. NE (agree with what Jeff said)
    9. CHI (rebuilding. Will be good, just too much youth for that to happen this year)
    10. SJ Cla.. I mean Earthquakes (no goalie, no defense, no playoffs)

7. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    this is the second time (the other time was when he first said this) that i've disagreed with mr. bradley. but i think he's wrong about DC and Colorado. DC is going to be the class of the league this year. and Colorado has been devistating, while playing without Zizi and Spencer, and a fully healthy Grimandi.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Seperated At Birth

[​IMG]
    John McEnroe

[​IMG]
    Jeff Bradley

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Keep in mind, he also picks dallas to win it all.

Every stinkin year.

10. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about ZiZi. Switch col and Dallas in my list. :D

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that about covers it Jeff. Us few Rapids fans will make sure to dredge this article back up before one of our playoff games... ;)

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With regards to San Jose not having defense, we all know that isn't true. San Jose has Jeff Agoos. As a result, he is one of the best organizers of the backline in the history of the sport. They will always have a defense as a result. :)

Jeff needs a new crystal ball. Although its possible, I think Colorado and DCU make it and this year, The Fire and the Quakes are left at home.

That being said, both teams have players who I believe can nearly singlehandedly take their teams out of the no play off zones, Donovan and Bocanegra.

Personally, to me its not that these two teams aren't good by MLS standards. The level of the league has improved across the board, and these two teams took steps back as opposed to steps forward.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you meant this sarcastically but it's hard to tell. If so, while Agoos is done at the international level, if he remains healthy, he probably has one or two good - if not better than good - MLS seasons left in him. And he does organize defenses well.

The Quakes also have Robinson, who played well enough last year to get called into a Nats camp last fall, and Dayak, who in 2001 was Comeback Player of the Year (I think) and wouldn't surprise me if he did it again. Toss in Waibel, Corrales and Dunivant and it's not a bad defense at all by MLS standards.

Of course, all they have at the moment literally is a 5th round pick at goalie (maybe 3rd round?), so they're definitely in trouble there unless Saunders can rise to the occasion. I also think Donovan, while one of the best if not the best in MLS in terms of all around play, will be worn out by the end of the year from all his Nats and marketing/public relations duties, and will probably tire down the stretch just like last year.

and Hala, didn't he say in the article that he DIDN'T pick Dallas this year?

14. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    I won't speak for Chicago but you are wrong about San Jose.

The defense, as others have posted, is still good with a solid center: Dayak and Agoos. Whether Waibel and Robinson will be better than Wade and Conrad on the outside - it's clear they probably won't provide offensively- remains to be seen.

We have (arguably) the best starting midfield in the league, provided Ian Russell's calf strain does not keep him from starting.

And we have the best all around player in the league in Landon Donovan. If he produces, and I think he will judging from some of his preseason comments, we will be nowhere near the bottom.

We do need some serious help at the GK spot. Hoping Frank and Johnny can do something about that.

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think somehow Jeff missed the fact that the Revolution managed to add Joe-Max Moore during the offseason. Unless he thinks JMM has slipped to the point where he won't be able to beat out Wolde Harris for a spot in the starting lineup.

16. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I kinda agree with his picks...although I don't think DCU will be at the bottom. I don't think they're gonna be anywhere near the top, but ay! Not at the bottom. Other than that, the teams are in the general area I would put them.

17. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    A couple of observations:

San Jose: Their backline will be exposed on the sides. Earthquakes fans are more nostalgic than San Francisco 49ers fans. All they ever say is, "if only Lagos got back to 2001 form" or, "if only Dayak..." It's not gonna happen folks. Dayak is not getting younger, and he's not young enough to bring his game up to the next level after an injury (the same goes for Lagos.) If Dayak starts in central defense, that's okay with me, but if he goes down (which he probably will) we'll be once again exposed on the wings. We have no left back. If we move Corralles back, our left midfield is filled by a thirty something has-been (Lagos.) Who are we going to start at right, Craig Waibel? Todd Dunivant. At least fans can be solaced with the promise that Robinson brings. He is a very strong, physical defender that's great in the air, I expect only good things from him.

Chicago: I don't know why there's all this negativity. Sure they're a little untested in midfield, but who's going to be organizing the youngsters? Chris Armas. There are very few midfielders I'd rather have training those guys than Chris. Besides, you have Beasley and Kelly Gray, and some great talent in Pause and Mapp. Look at your defense. You have Brown, Bocanegra, and Curtin; that's a pretty good core if you ask me. Up top, you have Faria (if he ever shows up to camp) and Ante Razov (if he doesn't have to sit out the season with card accumulation.) That's looking a lot better than the untested United or Wizards or Rapids or any of those teams for that matter.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose very well miss the playoffs, but thats mainly because I think the stronger teams almost all reside in the west. Even with the departures they are stronger than DCU, the Metrostars and Chicago. They also are probably stronger than NE.

Chicago Im not expecting as much out of, Armas is a good defensive player, but I just see Chicago having a real hard time coming up with offensive ideas in the midfield. Beasley is limited, relying on a few tricks, Armas is not an offensive stud, while Gray is a nice player, but not as a playmaker. I just think they will have a hard time scoring, despite a pretty good pair of forwards.

19. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'm usually a pretty mild-mannered, glass half empty/half full poster here on BS, but not today.

For those of you predicting SJ will miss the playoffs, I say you have no understanding of what it takes to win in MLS. SJ will NOT miss the playoffs. The winningest teams over the last 2 years (SJ &LA) are not a collection of awesome players, they both have a lot of relatively mediocre talent with coaches that know how to mold a collection of players into a strong unit. Both have very strong midfields who can possess the ball and control the game.

SJ defends as a unit, and that is why Agoos, clearly out of place at the international level, still has gas left in the tank in MLS. Yallop has taught them how to play play defense all over the field, but particularly in their own end. Remember, Zak Ibsen, basically a no talent hack, looked effective in Yallop's scheme. Very few teams were able to solve the Quakes at Spartan last year. This year will be no different.

I do agree that the Quakes have lost quite a bit of talent. And goalkeeping is looking really scary right now. And they will likely not be at the head of the table for most of the year like 2002. But Yallop will put a competitive team in place. Mark my words.

Too often the analysis on BS goes like this: Team x has this player and that player and so and so really looks good, so they are going to win the cup. Good teams win, not a collection of good players. There is a difference. Ray Hudson with the Fusion in 2001 was the only MLS coach that was really successful with the 'get some creative players and let'em go at it' style. Arena, Bradley, Yallop, and Sigi put together soccer teams, and all except Sigi were able to do it from the minute they stepped into the club with the talent they could cobble together at the time.

Now, it's not really fair to criticize others choices if I don't offer up my own.
    #10 Revs. They were what, one game away from not making the playoffs? And they've added JMM, a headless chicken, to improve their lot? Think of it this way, if Revs finished behind the Metros and all they did in the offseason was add JMM, would everyone be so confident in their ability to avoid the Bottom 2? I doubt it.

#9 DCU. I just don't see how it's all gonna work out for Ray. Yes, they have some good players. Ernie could be a real catalyst. But I'm just not convinced all the puzzle pieces are gonna fit together.

Frankly I'd add Metrostars to the bottom list if I didn't know Bradley is very capable of putting together a pretty decent team from the Fire days.

20. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Chicago has one glaring problem though, and it's not one that will go away...they have only one midfielder that could ever be called "attacking" that's ready to make an impact in MLS. Armas, Marsch, Pause, Gray...this is not exactly a team that can pick apart a defense. If a team can contain Beasley, they won't concede goals against Chicago. If Beasley is hurt, Chicago will have no one at all creating in midfield. Please don't give me Mapp...I saw every appearance he made for DC, and he looked lost every time.

Predicting DC is impossible right now. They will be much more exciting than last season, and they almost have to be better, but how much? No one knows. If Nelsen is injured, we have no proven defensive midfielder. Will this be the Fusion of 2001 reborn, or just a bunch of really skilled guys not working together? Predicting them 10th is silly IMO, (almost as silly as thinking Chicago will be 5th) though.

21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    [​IMG]
    jeff
    [​IMG]
    malkovich

22. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right about SJ and their team defense. However with two new starters on D and no GK of note at this point it looks like they've taken a step back while the rest of the West has taken a step up. I can see them ending up 5th in the west and still being 6th or 7th in a single table, but with the new playoff system that leaves them out and 9th overall.

As for the East I think it will look a lot like last year with everyone grouped pretty close together. Columbus seems to have the best shot at winning the Conference, then there is everyone else. Looking back at last year the Revs went 4-9-1 (-9 GD) in the first half of the year and 8-5-1 (+9 GD) in the second half after they made some roster moves and adopted Nicol's defensive/counter system. While they are bound to have their offensive numbers drop some from last year the defense should be better. They should finish 2nd in the East, but if Columbus stumbles and everything breaks the Revs way they could win it again. With all the turnover for DCU, Metro and Chicago it is real tough to predict where they'll finish. Two of the three will make the playoffs and I can see one of them finishing as high as second but I can't really guess which.

23. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'll make a prediction right here that the SJ keeper (whoever that turns out to be) will be among the league leaders in GAA. Even if it is Saunders, which it won't be.

The Quakes brass have said they have significant cap room and are looking around England for a keeper or forward. Given Conway's injury, I gotta believe they go for the keeper first. But even if they take an A-leaguer, you can bet Saunders will not be the starter once the season begins.

Oh, and I was thinking of #9 and #10 being the last two in the single table, but it doesn't matter, because the Quakes will not be last in the west.

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with you. The SJ keeper will be in the top ten in the league in GAA.

Look, Everyone else in the west got better. Added people. San Jose lost 3 of it 5 best players. Yeah, they may do fairly well in central defense, but on the wings?? Another story. They just have no depth on defense. (the list below includes D-mids

San Jose: Agoos, Dayak, Robinson, Mulrooney, Coralles, Waibel, Dunivant, Goalie????

KC: Conrad, Garcia, Burciaga, Talley, Guterriez, Zavagnin, Meola

LA: Lalas, Bo, Califf, Hendrickson, Vagenas, Elliot, Marshall, Victorine, Hartman (this is just sick)

COL: Grimandi, Maestroeni, Kotschau, Fraser, Herdsman, Stewart (ok, they're not much better off than SJ), Garlick

Dallas: Deering, Morrow, Gbandi, Suarez, Bonseu, Broome, Countess

Yeah, I know the defense is a team concept. However, it's only as strong as it's weakest link, too. SJ just has too many weak links.