DiGi and Sheppard Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by BrooklynGladiator, Feb 12, 2003.

1. BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    big up to Brooklyn
    alright, say the Metros sign Sheppard and DiGiamarino, which one would start, i mean, if they're both great, and play the same position, which one will get the nod?

or do either of them play on the otherside of the field/any other position?

DC got rid of there 1st pick in the Supplemental Draft, and there was no talk of San Jose looking at DiGi, but metros have been linked with him.

also, on the metros roster for FLA, Sheppard wasnt on it, why not

let me know any info on anything above

thanks,
    DRE

2. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Sheppard also plays left back at the international and national team level. Problem solved :)

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Can't DiGi also play LB???

Who is Sheppard by the way?

4. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dillon Sheppard, South African international, 11 caps with the national side, plays left back or left mid.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Metrostars signed JOey? WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS FROM? Last I checked up on the guy he had to retire from playing pro soccer because of injury trouble. Most people don't do that and come back to play, even at the MLS level. If he's coming back to the league, my 20 spot is on him being a coach, not a player.

6. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digi was the starting left back (when not injured) for the Sydney Olympic team that featured Casey, Beasley, O'Brien, McCarty, Califf, Dunseth, Denton, Adin Brown, Tim Howard, John Thorington, Olsen, Victorine, Vagenas, Josh Wolff, Donovan, and Cherundolo. Believe they finished 4th.

Called in Agoos to replace him, but I think he played in a few games there.

7. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    It's been all over the boards, DC and Metro are looking at him.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So he's coming out of retirement, correct? Has this been reported by the media? I mean, I'll take the National Enquirer over most of the BigSoccer rumors.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also going to Brazil to train with the Revs. Or at least I assume that's why he'll be there, and not to take Samba lessons.

He's making the rounds with a bunch of teams and everyone who might be interested wants to make sure he's healthy enough before they throw their names into the weighted lottery.

Tom

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    So we would have a youthful left side of Sheppard and Digi?

How would we sign both players? Would we use a discovery slot on one, and then the Supplemental draft pick on the other??? What about the cap.

11. MJNES

MJNES New Member

Jul 8, 1999
    Cranford, NJ
    The league will sign DiGi on the cheap as he's had serious injury problems the last couple of years, and his career has completely stalled.

As for Shepperd, they'd likely sign him as a discovery since the allocation is probably going to be used to sign Mario pending Barca's paperwork. Shepperd is also likely an inexpensive option as he still plays his club ball in South Africa. I'm no expert on African football, but I can't imagine they can compensate their players better than MLS.

12. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would tend to agree with you, except that he plays for Ajax Cape Town. I wonder if that would allow the salaries to be higher than the usual South African club side.

13. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    check the washington post. and about 20 other articles the past 2 weeks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58754-2003Feb11.html

do your research before you open your mouth about Big Soccer, kid!

14. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Digiamarino will NOT be in the supplemental draft. DCU pushed for him to be included (b/c then we'd have first shot at him). Instead, he'll be in a weighted lottery. So he can't be taken with a supplemental pick.
    2. Shepherd would likely be a discovery.
    3. There is a lot of interest in Digi. He has been in camps with DC and Dallas, now with the Revs, you guys are rumored to be interested in him. I wouldn't be surprised if EVERY team in MLS has some interest (young, fast, cheap, veteran and American--what's not to like?).

15. MJNES

MJNES New Member

Jul 8, 1999
    Cranford, NJ

Good point. Ajax may trickle some guilders down the ladder to their feeder clubs, so he very well might be out of our price range.

On the bright side, and I have no facts to back this up, MLS is a more "visible" league and is considered more competitive by European sides. So showcasing himself in the US could lead to a lucrative job in Europe faster than remaing in Africa.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would think he's affordable for your team. First, given your cap situation, no-one would be invited in unless he was a viable candidate (and viable also means affordable). Second, he came recommended by Carlos Quieroz (who has some idea of the cap situation and soccer in the USA).