Why the USSF doesnt get a "Big Name" Nt coach?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by lond2345, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You're certainly doing your best to further that impression.

2. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Bruce

I wouldn't call Sven a Big Name coach. I know he had a great run at the World Cup, but he isn't known like Scolari or even Bruce Arena :).

VS, Arena is know by football officials, the media and many supporters around the world. That is Big Name.

Now if we are talking about managers that win - than Arena, SVE, Voller, and others that haven't won a Cup as an international manager aren't Big Name.

Arena took over a program in the same sorry state as England was when Sven took over. Much like Aguirre did as well. All three have won domestic titles (IIRC, Aguirre has) and have performed fantastic on the international stage. They are all Big Name managers.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History lesson for the newbies...

...which the rest of you can ignore if you like...

In early 1995, after the USSF released Bora as head coach, the federation made a large search for a "big name" head coach...

The job was offered to Carlos Quieroz... he turned it down...

The job was then offered to Carlos Alberto Parriera...he turned it down (and the soccer gods got their revenge a few years later when CAP was head coach of the RotMasters :) )...

Finally, in an act of desparation, they offered the job to...interim coach Steve Sampson.

***Load Bluecat SoundBite #346***

I am convinced that, for the concievable future, any foreign coach hired by the US would bolt the second Benfica, Parma, 1860 Munich, or Middlesborough waved around their significantly fatter checkbooks in said coach's direction.

4. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Re: History lesson for the newbies...

I don't think any big name foreign coach would take the US job. Really, do they want to coach in a place where there's relatively no glory, no glamour, no profile? And that coach would have a lot of hard work to do, especially scouting out talent.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we already have a successful coach who knows the US players and US system. He coached against Perreira and Bora in MLS and kicked their asses around the yard. The US Fed would have to be totally insane to go get another coach of any sort.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Re: Re: History lesson for the newbies...

And a LOT less money.

MONEY.

BA supposedly make $500K a year. Nice work if you can get it.

Except if you're sven goran, where you make, oh I don't know, $2 to $3 million a year??

All the posters who said, BEFORE the world cup, "Gee, let's get Cruyff (assuming you could pay his CARDIOLOGIST's salary as well as his), or some other guy who speaks with accent.."

Please.

This thread is entitield "Why doesn't the USSF get a "Big Name" NT coach?"

Why don't the moderators close ANY thread related to getting a "big time" coach to replace BA??

Please?????

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Preston North End

I wouldn't call Sven a Big Name coach. I know he had a great run at the World Cup, but he isn't known like Scolari or even Bruce Arena.

So Bruces MLS Cups and Collegiate Championships can compare to Gorans track record:

1979: Wins Swedish Cup.
    1981: Wins Swedish title.
    1982: Wins Swedish Cup.
    1982: Quits Gothenburg to join Benfica.
    1983: Wins Portuguese championship and domestic cup, loses in final of the UEFA Cup to Anderlecht.
    1984: Wins Portuguese championship
    1984: Appointed manager of Roma
    1986: Wins Italian Cup
    1987: Appointed as manager of Fiorentina
    1989: Rejoins Benfica.
    1990: Runner-up in European Cup final, losing 1-0 to AC Milan
    1991: Wins Portuguese championship
    1992: Appointed as manager of Sampdoria
    1994: Wins Italian Cup
    1997: Appointed as manager of Lazio
    1998: Wins Italian Cup and Italian Super Cup
    1999: Wins European Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Super Cup
    2000: Wins Italian Serie A title and Italian Cup
    2001: Appointed England manager

What about Scolari:

I Division 2000 Cruzeiro
    Brazilian Champions' Cup 2000 Cruzeiro
    I Division/San Paolo 2000 Palmeiras

International cup Curriculum
    Libertadores Cup 2001 Cruzeiro
    Mercosur Cup 2000 Cruzeiro
    Fifa World Cup 2002

VS, Arena is know by football officials, the media and many supporters around the world. That is Big Name.

I doubt he is recognized as Scolari or Sven. Remeber when a team loses its the coach fault and when it wins it the players, i bet most portuguese still dont know who Bruce is. I know they will remember Donovan and McHaead but Bruce pshhhh

Arena took over a program in the same sorry state as England was when Sven took over.

What Sorry state !?!? Finishing Last in the World Cup, this is the TFC were talking bout More than half the countrys have never even played in a WC.

Much like Aguirre did as well.

This has more to do with Politrix than football. Still i wouldnt even put Aguirres name up there with the Big Named Coaches.

All three have won domestic titles (IIRC, Aguirre has) and have performed fantastic on the international stage. They are all Big Name managers.

Performing fantastic (Arena/Aguirre) is not the same as winning a Cup at the International Stage

8. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough said! Long live the Bruce! :)

9. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    all that matters is that the team qualified. Go look at the rosters for some of our qualifiers (Mexico City is a great example) and see the teams he used, and still qualified with a game in hand.

Brazil barely qualified too. Argentina DOMINATED South America. Holland didn't even qualify and Portugal qualified first. Do I need to go on?

10. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Only someone new to big soccer would use that type of statement as proof.

Trust me newbie, the people on here know soccer. Aside from all the people who don't know anything about soccer and then come to big soccer and post 10 times a day to talk about something they don't know about. :(

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In deference to So Fla Metro and Mr Keller, who have made the point so well already, I can only think to add:

"Hey, our National program is a great success - let's fire the coach"

Thank you.

12. Tony Ebola

Tony Ebola Red Card

Jan 17, 2001
    mexico

It doesn't matter who they hire.

You can't polish a turd.

13. gideon02

gideon02 Member

Jun 22, 2007
    texas