Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

If a team has the cap space, can't they just sign an out-of-contract player? Allocations, as I understand them, are used for transfer fees for a player, right? Not on the actual signing of the guy.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Just for reference, here are the 31st through 50th picks for the last two SuperDrafts, the equivalent of the 4th and 5th rounds in 2004. The 2002 SuperDraft had 12 teams so the rounds lined up a bit differently.
    Code:
    [size=2]
    [u]2002[/u]

31	D.C. United	Mohamed Fahim	
    32	Kansas City	O'neil Peart	
    33	San Jose	Chris Roner	
    34	Colorado	Matt Moses	
    35	Columbus	John Barry Nusum	
    36	Chicago		Dipsy Selolwane	
    37	Kansas City	Chris Brunt	
    38	Los Angeles	Corey Gibbs	
    39	San Jose	Kevin Sakuda	
    40	D.C. United	Dennis Ludwig	
    41	New England	Derek Potteiger	
    42	D.C. United	Bob Brennan	
    43	Kansas City	Dominic DaPra	
    44	Dallas		Adauto Neto	
    45	New England	Marshall Leonard	
    46	Chicago		Mike Nugent	
    47	Columbus	Chris Leitch	
    48	Los Angeles	Noah Delgado	
    49	San Jose	Erik Ozimek	
    50	Kansas City	Davy Arnaud	

[u]2003[/u]

31	D.C. United	Hayden Woodworth
    32	MetroStars	Kenny Arena	
    33	Kansas City	Taylor Graham	
    34	Dallas		Mike Tranchilla	
    35	Chicago		Rob Friend	
    36	San Jose	Josh Saunders	
    37	Columbus	Michael Ritch	
    38	Colorado	Matt Crawford	
    39	San Jose	Jamil Walker	
    40	Los Angeles	Hamid Mehreioskouei
    41	D.C. United	John Swann	
    42	MetroStars	Jacob LeBlanc	
    43	Kansas City	Jack Jewsury	
    44	Chicago		Chad Dombrowski	
    45	Dallas		Michael Mariscalco	
    46	San Jose	Johanes Maliza	
    47	Columbus	Guy Abrahamson	
    48	Colorado	Casey Schmidt	
    49	MetroStars	Marco Velez	
    50	Los Angeles	Jimmy Frazelle	
    [/size]
    Notice a few things. 1) Most of these guys never even sign with MLS and/or make the team. 2) Of those who sign very few are getting much playing time of significance. 3) Nobody that Ray Hudson has drafted above ever amounted to anything in MLS.

And I guess my more general point has to be that at this point in the draft I'm pretty sure that it is a craps shoot. Earlier on, with the really high picks, I do think you can scout and make genuinely educated choices. But by pick 31 ... craps shoot.

By the way, I forgot how LA drafted Gibbs even though he was going abroad. (Everyone else passed on him because, well, why bother. So please don't point to him as a good player still available in the fourth round. That really wasn't the case.) LA still hold the MLS rights to Gibbs, don't they ... bastards.

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Did you all forgot that we have an SI slot available? That's a lot better than two discovery picks IMO.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No. That's not how it works. Here are the regulations: http://www.mlsnet.com/about/regulations/

Means of Player Acquisition

Allocated Players

These players are allocated to teams through the League office. Each year, additional allocations are decided upon and made by the League’s Competition Committee and based upon players lost and the teams’ on-field records in the previous year. Allocated player spots may be traded.

Drafted Players

These are players drafted by teams in the annual MLS SuperDraft. These players include college players, Nike Project-40 players and Youth Internationals, among others. The draft order is based upon the teams’ on-field records during the previous year. Drafted players and draft picks may be traded with league approval.

Discovery Players

A team may request that the league sign a U.S. or international player who is not currently under contract to MLS and assign the player to the requesting team. A team may add no more than two senior roster Discovery players by request in any calendar year, and shall have no more than four Discovery players on its senior roster at any time. Teams may trade Discovery players but may not trade Discovery player “spots.”

Teams will have unlimited discovery opportunities for Developmental players.

That last thing is actually interesting and I'd overlooked it before. I'll come back to it at the end of this post.
    You're missing the point. You need to have a means of acquiring a player before you can fill the S-I slot. In other words, the S-I slot is useless if you really don't have adequate means of procuring a player to fill that slot. You can't go out and sign a player just because you have the money and the roster slot. That's the whole thing with MLS! In our case we have no allocations. All we have are those two discovery slots. So if we want to fill that S-I slot then we'll need to use one of those discovery slots. Otherwise we can't use it. So the open S-I slot alone really isn't at all as useful as you presume. Got it?

Anyway, about that "Teams will have unlimited discovery opportunities for Developmental players" line ... That's actually really interesting because in the player classification section of the regulations it says:

Developmental Players (domestic or international): Each team will have six Developmental Players on its roster. The contracts for these players will not count against a team’s salary budget. In addition to Nike Project-40 signees, a team’s roster-protected players can only include those 23 years of age or younger during the season in question.

Does that mean that even T-I's who are under 23 don't count against the roster? And moreover, does that mean that T-I under the age of 23 don't count against the 2 discovery slots per year?

Maybe the example to ask about here is, well, just how did the MetroStars get those two Argentinians? Both Forchetti and Galvan were under 23 when they signed, they're both T-Is and they're both discovery players. The Metros also had two other discovery players this year - that's four in one year. (They still only had four on their roster.) Were they able to sign so many discovery players because the two Argentinians were considered developmental? Or was there a trade or something else going on? How did that work? (Where's Haig when you need him? He's usually good for MetroQuestions like this.)

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Are you saying that we can't use the SI at all or because it costs more than a regular player? I'm under the impression that we can sign an SI as long as we a) have the SI slot and b) have the money. Assuming that we have the cash, doesn't that mean we can sign an SI of our choosing?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No it does not. I don't know where you got that impression but according to the regulations published on MLSNet you can't.

The regulations are right there above. Where do you see anything about signing any player we want so long as we've got the cash to pay his salary? There are only a few ways in MLS to acquire a player: the draft, allocations, discovery slots and trades. That's it. We've got no allocations. The draft isn't relevant to S-Is. That leaves trades and discoveries. That's the lowdown straight from MLSNet. Seriously, read those regulations carefully.

The only way DC United can use the open SI slot is to:

1) use a discovery pick to procure the player. Example: that's how the Metros got Juskowiak.

2) trade for an SI. Example: that's how the Metros got Moreno.

I suspect what you're doing is confusing the roster and "Player Classification" regulations with the "Means of Player Acquisition" regulations. Check those sections of the regulations. We're fine in the former as we've got cash and roster spots. But the latter, we're really slim there. So according to MLS's regulations, although we've got flexibility on our roster (like the S-I slot) we don't have many avenues open to take advantage of that flexibility.

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that we DO have Discovery slots, and given that Reyes was signed in '02, we may also have some cash available for Discovery signings. Even if we don't have signing cash available, we still have the slots, so we can sign out-of-contract Discovery players of pretty high quality.

If we can sign guys who either a) don't have transfer fees associated with them, or b) don't have more of a transfer fee associated with them beyond whatever we have left this year after the Reyes deal two years ago, then we can fill our SI spot and any available roster spots and use our full available salary cap availability with our currently-available Discovery slots.

If Adu comes as an allocation, but is a P-40 (thus not counting against the cap), we'd have all of Etcheverry's salary, all of Stoitchkov's (minimal) salary, and that of whoever else we cut (we'd need to lose three "senior" players to gain two, given that we're a man up right now), to sign two Discovery players. Frankly, if there's a Ruiz-like guy coming out of contract from some Central American team who is willing to play for most of Etcheverry's salary, why wouldn't we be able to sign him? No reason I can see.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Atouk - Exactly right. My point was only that we had to use a discovery slot (or trade) to fill the S-I slot. That's also why figuring out what we have available for a transfer fee would be useful. What was Reyes's fee? I seem to recall that we ate up three years of transfer funds to get him.

9. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, if it was three years, which three? Had we used money the year before or was he signed using 01/02/03 money? I don't know.

In any case, we have two Discovery slots now. And, all the better, we have Etcheverry's salary (plus Stoitchkov's small salary and the salary of whichever "senior" player we get rid of to get back to 18) to sign the two players.

I think we can find two out-of-contract or minimal-transfer-fee Discovery players who are willing to make Etcheverry+Stoitchkov+other's salary.

Etcheverry's salary is big by MLS standards (it's the max). We could sign an out-of-contract Ruiz-like player for most of that and pick up a moderate impact player for the combined leftover- Etcheverry/Stoitchkov/cut-guy salary.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    More info on Reyes's transfer fee and our current transfer fee for discovery players situation ...
    I'm not sure certain but going by Diceson's numbers I think we've got $200,000 to use for a transfer fee - that is, the money that would have gone to '05 and '06. Going by Soccer American's numbers ... I don't know. Maybe that means the yearly $100,000 plus the pro-rated $200,000 for the next two years? Not sure ...

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    MLS seems more retarded every time I read one of their rules, I swear...

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I swear the League tries to make everything more difficult than it has to be. So we have to use a discovery pick in order to acquire an SI player? and money from the future can be used to pay for it? My head is hurting now...

13. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Ok Knave, I see what you're saying. I think you're probably right--we can sign two new players and that's it. We'd have to trade for allocations or players.

Still, I don't think we're really that far away. I don't think we NEED more than two senior players to make this thing work. We'll see. I would certainly agree that our developmental roster could use some work.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Or we can trade some players (which will undoubtedly occur).

A point of interest: if there is expansion next year, how much of the previous posts remains true? New teams mean expansion draft, which mean we'll lose some players. So what does that mean for our open roster slots? Can we sign any league player then, or are there rules against that as well?

15. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Dallas or the MLS covering half of Stewart's 250K this year? Which would mean that a third of the money freed by Etcheverry+Stoitchkov is eaten up. Something to think about in assessing whether to trade Earnie or not.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. My source for the Special Discovery stuff was MLS Confidential, Jan. 31, 2002. Haig also posted some info on it in an earlier DCU thread (I believe on Reyes and his salary/transfer) much earlier in the year when we were talking cap issues. I think of couple of other soccer publications have also had some discussion on it early 2002. The way it works is that you have a total amount of transfer money available (I believe $300K) over a 3 year period and you can't spend a total sum (differing figures from MLS sources on what that total is). Thus, you couldn't pay a transfer fee and sign them to a $270K salary. My understanding is that we have no special discovery money for 2004.

2. Quintanilla is not a special discovery (as he's been reported by in a couple of publications).

3. Knave, I disagree with your position on the "only" ways players can be acquired in MLS. Look at the Metros this year (and no, I"m not arguing conspiracy--only that Bob Bradley is sharp and has acquired just about any kind of player any way he legally can).
    --Galvan and Forchetti: my understanding is that they are LOANS (which the league is formally against on paper but allows Donovan who's contract is mostly owned by Bayer Leverkusen to play for SJ). I never heard this officially but my understanding is that the combination of their age and that it was a 2-year deal meant that the league didn't consider this a violation of the "no loan" policy which is to prevent teams from bringing in entirely new sides each year.
    --Digimarino: weighted lottery.
    --Jonny Walker: USMNT lottery (which, remember--no allocations were used on Frankie Hejduk and Joe Max Moore either!).
    --waivers: Wolyniec (I could be wrong here but I believe he was signed off of waivers).
    --free transfer: I'm not sure how they acquired Edgar Barthlemuew (sic). Not implying it was my neferious means--maybe it was a trade but I thought he was a foreign signing off of a free transfer.

It is my understanding that the allocation rules (which are written poorly) don't say you can't acquire foreign talent, only that you can pay transfer fees only through the allocation and special discovery routes. For instance, when DCU was planning on signing Dalglish last year--we weren't going to use a discovery (b/c he was on a free transfer). The only issues were: did we have cap space and did we have an SI slot? Wasn't that exactly what happened with the Metro and their late-season Polish international signing (Juskowiak)? No discovery, no allocation, no special discovery, no lottery.

4. My understanding is that we used an allocation on Earnie Stewart (both to claim him and so he'd only count $125K on the roster this year). Metro fans insist they only traded us a "minor" allocation ($75K). I thought we had acquired a "major" allocation ($150K). I've seen print media report both versions. If we got the major allocation, than we need to add $150K to the cap for 2004 to cover Earnie, if it was minor than it's only $200K he'll count on the cap.

5. I too am drawing a blank on who traded for a discovery slot. I'm though I recall at least one instance of it happening this season though.

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Okay, a little more clarification.

1. The league rules specifically prohibit the trading of discovery slots--in theory.

2. In practice it has been done repeatedly. I had to clear a few cobwebs and then confirm this but...Metro traded a discovery slot to the Rapids which they used on Dawes from Jamaica. Chicago traded a discovery slot to Dallas (which they used on Ronnie O'Brien). Now technically these may have been situations where the team trading the slot signed the player first and then passed them along. But the trades were announced as a 4th round pick for a "discovery player to be named later" or a "discovery slot to be filled later." Then in August, the league approved the trade by Metro of a 3rd pick to San Jose for a "discovery play to be named later." They (Metro) then used that discovery on Juskowiak. They had to make the trade at that point in order to meet the trade deadline. And of course we have our own example where the league extended the discovery deadline to DCU b/c of the Convey fiasco.

3. I think it's looking more and more like Freddie Adu will not join MLS until June (ie: after HS graduation) of 2004. Which puts him out of the MLS superdraft and into the category of discovery/allocation/special lottery territory. If I were a Dallas fan, I wouldn't be that outraged if he as allocated outright to DCU. But I'd be flipping angry if it was done as P-40. This kid isn't going to sign for developmental or P-40 wages, it would likely be some kind of max salary or encentive package with max numbers. To have that be off the cap (as P-40) would be outrageous (and I say that as a DCU fan recognizing he's coming in) and would make a real mockery of the P-40 concept.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a funny feeling he'll be in the draft next year like Diceson said.

Don't GC regulations require certainamounts of continuous residency. The college years may have made that difficult, especially since he went to two schools on different coasts.

You can always blame anything on Kevin Payne

He was the payback for the Andy Williams trade with Chicago. So the Fire signed him and traded him to new York.

19. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    not that this is a reliable source, but MLS Confidential for yesterday said the following:

"D.C. United will probably receive an allocation from MLS if Marco Etcheverry and Hristo Stoitchkov leave the league even if no transfer money is involved. This roster and salary-cap space would give D.C. United some liberties to re-tool the squad."

but, like I said, it's not the most reliable source, and I have no idea where their coming up with their conclusion on this.

20. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Remeber that these developmental slots also come with an almost less than subsistence salary and were intended to go to a local player who could still live at home and get paid $1000 a month. I doubt the Argies' came to play for so little money, maybe they did. Bartolemeu was acquire as compensation for the rights to Andy Williams according to the Metros press release. It's possible that the MLSNet Roster has him designated incorrectly. The Metros traded a 3rd round pick to SJ for a Discovery player to be announced later, I think this became Juskowiak as it happened late August and Juskowiak was signed in middle September. The 2 Argie's were their "normal" 2 discovery slots for the season.

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was one of the ones copmlianing about this deal and still do a little. Not that United wanted Walker or anyone else did for that matter. I simply have a problem classifiying Walker as a member of the USMNT pool. When was the last time he got sniff. Not in 2003, 2002, 2001 or 2000. He maybe listed but based on playing time he is just as much a memeber as Talley.

At least they (MLS) could have come up with a better excuse. As far as I am concerned the Metros can have Walker, I have no problem with him as a player, but as my parents tried to teach me "think before you speak" or in this case put out press releases.

22. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Because DCUnited can possibly pickup Baumstark or Ford Williams as Development GKs. Both are significantly better than Geddes. Or, the league will continue to hold extras GKs, thus making 3rd GKS on teams a silly proposition. Why take up a spot if you don't need it?

Speaking of draft picks, it will be interesting to see just how bad the 2004 draft will be. "Sandon" has a better grip on the colleges, but with the possibility of Grabavoy and Drew Moore (Indiana), Williams (UNC), and defenders Chad Marshall (Stanford), and Jordan Harvey (UCLA) all doing well, it might become the norm that kids come out of college early. I think the league is going through the final phase of losing the original veterans. That will open up roster spots for early-outs. I feel eventually the league must allow early-outs to enter the draft as regular players, not P-40's.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diceson hints at an interesting point.

We've given Hudson a lot of grief for not giving college players much thought.

Sure, there are some gems out there, but P-40 the allure of getting paid, and in some cases Euro clubs have drained the pool. More and more, professional clubs are taking kids out of high school, or just after graduation. College soccer is no longer the first choice for an excellent 17-18 year old kid. In some cases it's the third choice behind overseas clubs, and MLS.

If you think about it, Bobby Convey could be finishing up his third college season in a few weeks.

The pipeline of soccer talent has changed in the last couple of years, and it remains to be seen where it will settle out.

24. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sandon and I have gone around on this issue quite abit. I think he tends to be too optimistic about the college talent at times. That said, I disagree with your position.

I do feel that there are good years and bad years in terms of college talent. While it's too soon to tell with this year's draft, I think it will probably be not anywhere near as good as the 2003 draft. And I thought the 2002 draft (b/c of contraction--meaning fewer slots plus the range of talent) wasn't as strong as 2003 by a long shot.

That said, the talent in US amateur soccer (youth and college) is only getting better. Even if P-40 siphons off the best 15-20 kids, even if another 10 go overseas (to either succeed or wash out), the reality is:
    --kids see MLS as a viable career. And that means kids like Alexander Yi who was premed b/c he didn't foresee a future in pro soccer instead go pro (even if it isn't with MLS--almost all these kids start out by talking with MLS and then either decide they can do better, opt to stay in school or go P-40). MLS alone (let alone other influences) has led to a much richer youth pool. And that benefits the colleges.
    --USA is becoming more of a soccer culture. While there are lots of places in our fair land where soccer is still a sport for "foreigners" and inhabited mostly by ethnic leagues, there are more and more places where soccer is the mainstream. You see it on ESPN and FSW and some areas (thankfully the DC area) have good coverage of soccer. The A-league is flourishing. All of this means more people play soccer, more play it seriously, there is better coaching and development, more opportunities to learn from abroad and grow your game. And that leads to more youth players.

I think the talent coming out of college soccer is better now than it was 5 years ago. Remember, it used to be that you didn't expect a Ben Olsen to come in and contribute right away. Now, the shock with Dimani Ralph is that he wasn't chosen as a first rounder, not that a rookie (in the right circumstances) couldn't be a major contributor--even as a goal scorer.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

JoeW - I'm not denying most of what you're suggesting but you're basically missing my point. I know there are other "ad-hoc" ways of getting players. But I'm only asking about the avenues we've got in hand right now. Let me go case by case.
    Maybe. But they are classified as discovery players on MLSNet.
    These are all ad-hoc. I don't deny them - obviously. But they're basically beside the point here. They're not the kinds of things you can plan for and what I'm asking about here are the things we've got in hand to plan and build the team with.
    He's also listed as a discovery player. Chicago must have used one of their slots and then traded him to the Metros as noted by other posters above.
    I'll bet anything that if he'd signed he would have been classified as a discovery player. As far as I can tell, that classification has nothing necessarilly to do with whether a transfer fee is paid. Hell, Lalas was a discovery pick for LA.