DC United vs Chicago PRE Match Press (Goff, Wright and Others)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well at leat he wants to figure out what he is going to do soon.

3. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Ivanov to start. Stoich to the bench.

This is going to be an ugly match to have to start my morning with on the west coast.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As probably the biggest Marco supporter on this forum, I can honestly say I hope this is his last game in a red and black kit. I've defended him on BigSoccer this year with all the passion I could muster. He's my idol and a personal friend. I've seen him do some remarkable things on a pitch that I will never forget. But yet I'm not naive enough to think that he is the player he once was.

It strikes me as a little weird that his last game in the States could very well be in the same stadium where he got a red card in his only WC appearnce.

An era is over but my team is still DC United. Godspeed Marco, you've made every Bolivian and DC United fan proud...

The MLS owes you huge.....

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    He's our best defender in terms of offensive ability. It's our only move thanks to that 2nd goal against versus Chicago. Way to keep the focus boys...

6. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Ivanov

So basically from what i gathered about the comment that prideaux has less offensive skills than ivanov is that they are going to start ivanov over prideaux. What? That would spell disaster. If you want more offense take out slow, whiny, and old midfielders out of the line up. Basically bench Etch. His contributions are limited and I believe it would be a more complete line up with younger more athletic players with less egos.

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Re: Ivanov

I posted earlier in the week that we had to get prideaux off the field in this game. playing him at left back in a 4-4-2 gives us a huge hole on the left side any time we move forward into the offense. We have 3 capable center backs, but one needs to sit if we're going to play aggressively.

Unless you'd like to see the 5-4-1 we played last week again, that is...

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the link Knave.

""We've got to let a lot of heart and emotion come out and play like it's our last 90 minutes, which it very well might be," defender Mike Petke said." I think this quote sums it up the best.

Hopefully they come out fighting.

As to last games, it could very well be the last game in a DC United uniform for a lot of players and coaches.

Hopefully everyone has gotten the message.

9. hattrickr20

hattrickr20 New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    I agree with Hudson starting Ivanov because a backline with Nelsen, Petke, Ivanov, and Namoff can still get us a shutout and Ivanov is one of our most dangerous players of set pieces, which the way our offense looked in game 1, may be DC's only way score. However, I would still keep Brandon in the lineup and let Brian sit because Brandon is very good at taking one player out of the game and with Razov and Raph up top, we will really need his marking ability.