Mexican fans thrash new soldier field!

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by lond2345, Oct 15, 2003.

1. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    He has 2 left arms.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    FIXED..

3. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I'm not afraid of sitting with anyone. I couldn't give a rat's ass what color. But many of us are just a bit weary of the impunity with which our boisterous and spontaneous neighbors behave in our stadiums. And we're also tired of the those who defend them and choose to deny the obvious history of terrible behavior.

My wife? Not that it matters, but she's of a different color and she's every bit as outraged by the Mexican fans as I am. I'm a Tri fan, as well. I have two of their camisetas and often enjoy their bad boy streak. (Although last evening they were predictably boorish and every bit as nauseating as the Sol-propelled vatada).

The fact that you consider yourself tolerant and cultured can never excuse the behavior to which we have all become so accustomed.

Stay hip.

4. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Are you D.C. bitches still crying about that?

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is the whole point. At least for me. The issue of the "white Yuppies" was raised earlier. Well, if they acted they way some (and I stress the word SOME) of the "fans" acted last night, I would call them animals too.

Remember about 10 years ago when some Giants fans went crazy and pelted the field with snowballs? They were called animals and kicked out. The worst ofenders were arrested. One of the geniuses whose defense consisted of "well, if they removed the snow I would not have thrown it" was ridiculed in the NY press.

Sorry, but skin color, socioeconomic status, education, religions of your ancestors and the like are not excuses for bad behavior. White, black or brown, rich, poor or middling, high school drop out or Harvard PhD, descendent of Buddists or cannibals.

6. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Well said.... and I think that'll wrap up the thread nicely.

7. angelncali

angelncali New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Sunny California
    BAD BEHAVIOR AND FOOTBALL GO HAND IN HAND!

This has to be one of the stupidest threads I've seen on this board. It raises doubts about its members' knowledge on world football culture.

I've been fortunate to attend several matches in Europe, S.America, and Asia. I have witnessed violence and bad behavior at venues all over the world.

To concentrate exclusively on bad behavior of Mexicans is idiotic. Let's not forget that on a global scale, countries hosting international football events don't protect themselves from Mexican fans, or other Americans for that matter.

That distinction still belongs to the English, German, and other European fans! Yet I failed to see even one mention of that in all 4 pages. The incidents you folks mention are unacceptable, but by no means isolated. Football is not tennis!

Football fans worldwide are regarded as violent. Ever watch mainstream coverage of soccer games on American television? They only focus on the violence. Ever listen to Jim Rome? He thinks ALL soccer fans are animals, without regard to nationality.

The point is that if you know anything about football - you know violence is inextricably tied to its history.

The stand that some of you are taking, mainly that only Mexicans are capable of violent behavior is both ignorant and unfortunate.

8. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    angelincali,

I can't remember the last time that the English, Dutch or Germans messed with one of our own stadiums. You know which ones, right? The LA Coliseum, The Rose Bowl, Soldier Field.

Nor do those very Europeans subject us to constant high-minded haranguing about the lyricism and poetry of their game.

Nor do those Europeans enjoy a built-in army of apologists here.

See, the Mexican fans have become a target of our indignation and derision because they've worked long and hard at it. And that's what we've concerned with: the behavior of people in stadiums here. Not the Germans and Dutch and English.

For crying out loud, someone points out the obvious and now they're racist and ignorant.

And, while we're at it, the players who those Europeans cheer, make it habit to do the little things like shake hands after the game.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: BAD BEHAVIOR AND FOOTBALL GO HAND IN HAND!

I didn't see anyone suggesting that.

10. Luto's Friend

Luto's Friend New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Photos

Does anyone know if photos exist of this event?

11. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by Chowderhead

I can't remember the last time that the English, Dutch or Germans messed with one of our own stadiums. You know which ones, right? The LA Coliseum, The Rose Bowl, Soldier Field.

You act as if the English, Dutch or German teams play regularly in your own stadiums. You know which ones, right?

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Mexican fans who exhibit boorish behaviour remind me of Turkish fans. Both sets of fans boo the national anthem of the host country. They both like to throw objects onto the field and toward opposing players. Since many of them can't make their respective countries better, they decide to emigrate to another country. They then claim that they have been repressed by the host country which gave them a good living. Finally, their players have learned that boorish behaviour is not just limited to the stands. The recent acts commited against Beckham and Jones should illustrate this point.

13. tico 12

tico 12 New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    chicago
    --------------------------------------
    Your post is interesting in that us Mexicans do have Arab ancestry, but what is also interesting is that those same Mexican fans also booed their own Mexican NT coach and showered him with beer and who knows what else as he was exiting Soldier's field.
    They have also been known to boo their own NT when they are not performing well and have been known to love teams like Brazil when they exhibit the juogo bonito (beautiful game).

14. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    No one is insisting Mexican soccer fans are the only fans to do such stuff. However, as already mentioned, this is happening at our stadiums. Why would Americans care if other countries trash their own stadiums. Feel free to do that crap in your own stadium. I will admit, the old Solider Field was a dump, but this is a brand new stadium. The Park District made a big deal to Fire fans that they didn't want such behavior in the new stadium. They went even as far as saying you stand on the seats, your out. Saying that this doesn't happen in the MFL pretty much tells me they don't respect anything in other countries. So, until I'm convinced otherwise, I will hate Mexico when it comes to soccer. I can't wait for qualifying next year!

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by jdm2662
    No one is insisting Mexican soccer fans are the only fans to do such stuff. However, as already mentioned, this is happening at our stadiums.

The Mexicans that thrash your stadiums live in the U.S so by default they are Americans. So its Americans who cheer for Mexico thrashing Their own stadiums.

:D :p

16. chinofan

chinofan New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Uruguay
    Are they really mexicans or US citizens? (I don't like to call them americans, we are all americans).

What happened is always sad but would be saddest if they were mostly US citizens that were born there.

Once I heard that in US you are still considered a foreigner if your family has not a long past in the country. Things like being called italian if your surname is italian, etc.

I guess that could be a deep problem because you never get totally integrated as part of the country so you don't feel you need to care for it. Who do they feel they belong? To USA or Mexico? I think none.

The ideal thing would be to feel as a human being that is a world citizen. Followed by feeling being part of a country, to be less optimistic, at least you care for something.
    The worse case is probably not feeling you belong to anything. I mean, that may be what happened. People that don't feel 100% US, not 100% Mexicans.

In general, I think this is what happens with sport violence. Some people try to belong to something so they choose some team. When you are in group you feel bigger (like a bunch of wolves). If you see your team performing bad you see it as an attack against you and a demonstration that you are not so big. And as this belonging is the only thing you have, you can't stand it.

This is in general. I'm not talking just about the people in the stadium that day.
    Sorry for my english, I hope you read what I am thinking.

17. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Various,

You're a good guy and all that but that's two straight posts in which you miss the point and make no sense.

Our indignation is justified. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

18. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Anyone born here is considered an American. (And don't start with that we're all americans *#*#*#*#). Those born to immigrants will retain....

I'm tired of this crap. Later.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plurality actually. No candidate won a majority of the popular votes.

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Guys, in the interests of keeping this thread open, please tone down the attacks and racist vitriol.

Soccer in the USA, remember? Not "your fans are sh!t because they're from country XXX and my favorite talk show host told me so" in the USA.

21. chinofan

chinofan New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Uruguay
    This really pisses me.
    I feel 100% american, I love to be american and I never put a foot in USA. Imagine for one minute you are not an "american" american. Don't tell me this wouldn't upset you.
    You should once and for all admit this huge mistake of refering to yourself as THE americans of this part of the world. I'd find extremely ridiculous hearing a french think France is Europe and excluding the rest. Imagine: "I'm european but you are swedish".
    Doesn't exist a word to say "US citizen"?
    I know this will never change but at least someone should admit is wrong. And we, the majority of the americans shouldn't accept it.

22. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    If you can't handle a little beer thown at you or some face to face taunts in a futbol match, you are a pussy and you have stop considering yourself a futbol fan.

Go back to baseball, who needs you.

23. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Well, yeah, but that's not really the point of going to a soccer match is it? In the MEX-Peru game at GS a month ago bottles were being showered onto the pitch. Not just 1 or 2, 40 and 50. Every corner, goals by Peru, etc. It was a disaster.

Why do Mexican fans need to act this way? What is it about throwing bottles of beer and urine at people that makes it a necessary requirement to enjoying watching your country play soccer?

That's a nice attitude. How about Mexico only plays in Mexico? We certainly don't need their fans in this country.

24. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Whatever, I'm not Mexican, just a futbol fan. If in order to attend my team's game I have to endure some crap, well so be it. Not that you have to do those things, just don't pay attention to the people who do. If you react negatively, they're gonna mess with you even more.

To everyone in this forum bitching, welcome to international soccer. It is a bumpy ride, I don't deny it, but is worth it.

25. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    As Jim said, let's put an end to this debate.

We hope you accepted our apologies on behalf of those Mexican brothers who behaved like "animals" in Chicago...

Double or triple security and install cameras everywhere. Don't let the minimum violence invade U.S. stadiums.

This type of behavior, coming from Mexican brothers or from anybody else, will certainly kill MLS' image.

Mainstream media will not report on MLS, but be assured they will pick up on any ugly incident on soccer games...