Howard: Barthez says he's staying at United

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by subbuteo, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    This is working fine for Howard.He will ALWAYS have competition at Old Trafford and rightly so.The fact is that Tim is better off competing with a slightly stale and tarnished Barthez than a world-class guy brought in new by Sir Alex specifically to replace Barthez.
    I am no Metros fan, but I think Howard is an outstanding young keeper and I believe he may well be starting by the end of the year. You can develop experience, but you can't learn athleticism like Howard has.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    How much longer until the official announcement is made about Howard's transfer? All the papers have made it sound like it's only a formality now.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: For chrissalke already

spot on.
    The last mention I saw in the guardian said the deal would take place after the confed cup.
    Also, I forgot about Buffon, so let's try another flier: it's still the most expensive keeper in EPL history, right?

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not up to Barthez whether he stays or not. its not that he wanted to leave before, its that Man U want him out.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    July 1st

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-707431,00.html

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Howard can start earning his place at Man U. before he even arrives.

Imagine if - Howard plays on fire, like Brad at WC. He stops a penalty shot, shuts out France and Brasil, wowing fans so much with his saves that even the opposing teams supporters start to cheer him. The U.S. team, inspired by his stellar work, wins the Confed Cup.

Meanwhile, Barthez has a shabby tournament, not keeping a clean sheet against a single team. In the game versus the U.S. Donovan scores against him twice, including on a rebound opportunity that Barthez should never have allowed.

Now, as unlikely as this may seem, IF it does happen, who still doesn't have a chance at starting for Man U.?

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    It's unlikely that they'll both happen, but one of those scenarios could easily happen.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
  10. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    That depended on Laporta winning the Barca election for Pres. which he has now done, so now it's official about Rustu, it wasn't before. I still think that is ManU can get a proven EPL starter like Niemi, that Barthez will be jettisoned and Howard will start off as No. 2. If not Howard and Barthex will battle it out for the top spot with Barthez having the slight (and i do mean slight) edge because of his experience

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  12. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Weird, because Howard had the chance, and almost did stop a penalty kick against Turkey yesterday...

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    The similarities between what happened and Femfa's hypothetical are uncanny!!!!!

Femfa says what if he saves a penalty shot. And a penalty shot was taken, but Howard doesn't save it. That's almost the same thing!!!! Weird!!!! Then Femfa says what if he's on fire like Friedel in the WC. And Howard comes out and makes one good save, but otherwise plays unevenly and scrambly. It's bizarre!!!!!! Does Femfa have a crystal ball?!?!?

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It might be better for Howard if he starts off on the bench. Howard has talents. But is he ready for MU now? Clubs liked Manchester United are demanding. One or two bad matches.... you are crusified. Howard is a young keeper with little experiences outside MLS. He does not even play many international games. He will have some bad games. He will be ended up another Friedel at Liverpool. He took over from James after 3 to 4 games. He did not do poorly, but not enough for Liverpool. Then, he disappeared. It was not until last season that Friedel started to live up to his expectation.

I think it would be better if Barthez can stay and start. He is an old keeper going downhill. He won't last long. Howard is a young keeper. He can wait. I have no impression of Frey, but he can be unseated by Howard.

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    You guys can't honestly think Tim Howard will start at Man U next year. He's never played in Europe before and barely has any experience on the Ntl team. There's no way somebody like that would be able to be the starting keeper at United. Chances are he'll back up whoever they pick as first choice keeper and play in Worthington Cup games until he gets comfortable with the new style of play.

16. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ding ding ding ding ding....

We have a winner.

I agree, he has the talent and potential, but no way will they make him the default #1, he will need some mentoring, and will get appearances here and there. Of course if injury or poor form follow the #1, he will be thrust in.

17. nadpolice9

nadpolice9 New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Boston , MA
    yup...definately no rush to put howard in. he's only 24, and for a keeper that means he has 10 more years to play.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And this may be optimistic. as he's showing in the ccup, he's not close to BF right now (this is not a badf thing, it makes sense. He's very young at a position where youth is a liability). He may be five years from being ready to play at a top club.
    And the reason is that they don't start by default. they may make mistakes, but no one is on the roster just to fill up space. Everyone can play. If Howard makes it, he'll have to fight hard for years (just ask Barthez how tough it is to please the red devils).

19. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still daydreaming and hoping that he will start for ManU! :)

I can still hope can't I? I think he played wonderfully against Brasil.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I say this again... if Howard starts for MU next season, he will be finished by X'mas. He will not get another chance. He should be brought in slowly.

Howard played good against Brazil, but he was weak against the cross.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very likely Howard will start for ManU, it will just be once or twice in the League Cup, FA Cup (depending on the opponent), or a meaningless Champions League game.

22. egswanso

egswanso New Member

Barthez

Barthez is still a world-class keeper, but he's starting to decline. He's inconsistant and has a distrubing tendancy to wander on the pitch and get out of position. His job as France #1 is being challenged by the young keeper whose name escapes me at the moment, but ManU would be smart to start looking at other options. Roy Carroll hasn't been bad, but he's not shown to be the kind of world-class keeper that ManU should have (and can easily afford) Tim Howard has the marking of being on-par with some of the best - just look at his performences in the Confed Cup - the rest of the team might be rubbish, but he still manages to keep them in the game.

I think a transfer to ManU, a year or two as 2nd keeper (learning and adjusting to the much higher-caliber EPL), then the starting job would be an excellent career move for Howard.