NWT Game at Torero!!!!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tsunami, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWT Game at Torero!!!! (vs Japan)

I just got this email:

Dear Spirit Season Ticket Holder:

On Sunday, January 12th, history will be made at Torero Stadium and, as a loyal Spirit season ticket holder; we want you to be a part of it.

For the first time ever, the U.S Women's National Team will play a promoted match in San Diego. The match will kick-off the team's road to China and the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup. Come to Torero Stadium and see the team that will be looking to repeat as world champion. Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Shannon MacMillan and Tiffeny Milbrett are just a few of the star players scheduled to be on the roster for this exciting exhibition match.

Here are the details for the event:

U.S. Women's National Team vs. Japan

Sunday, January 12, 2003 @ 1pm

Torero Stadium on the campus of USD

Spirit season ticket holders have first chance to purchase tickets prior to the general public. Season ticket holders can purchase their same seats for this match and can also purchase additional seats, (there is no guarantee that the additional seats will be next to your season seats). Orders must be received prior to noon on Monday, November 25th. After that time, all seats will become available for sale to the general public.

Ticket prices:
    Special Field level seats - $150 (Limited number of seats available)

Section 117, 118 - $45
    Section 115, 116, 119, 120 - $40
    Section 101, 102, 103, 114, 121 - $35
    Section 104, 105, 112, 113, 122, 123 - $30
    Section 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 111A - $20

Please use the attached order form when purchasing tickets. After completing the attached order form, please fax it to the Spirit offices at 619-692-8144. Once again, order forms must be received by noon on Monday, November 25th.

We anticipate tickets will go quickly once the general public sale begins, so please don't miss out on this historic event; get your order form in right away!

If you have any questions, please call the Spirit offices at 619-692-9872.

Start practicing your U-S-A chant and we'll see you at Torero Stadium on January 12th, 2003!!

Kind regards,

San Diego Spirit

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    SCHWEET!!!!

Mahalo for the info Tsunami!!

I certainly hope to make this mofo in January!!!

Y'all probably get a small camp prior to that too eh? Lucky bastards!!!

This place will definately sell out!

3. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I'm gonna post something just so we can get a December date back on the board.

Only 29 days until USA vs. Japan!!!!!

:D

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned several days ago (apparently BS used back ups to put in the old stuff that was missing, but that got rid of the new stuff), I received my tickets for the game several days ago.

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is it sold out yet?

I'm moving back to SD this week, and might be able to buy some tickets.

6. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Have all the season ticket holders who have ordered tickets received theirs yet (other than Tsunami). I haven't received mine and Tsunami mentioned he got his days ago.

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aly Wagner Interview on "Inside Soccer"

I didn't want to set up a separate thread just for this, so I thought that I'd stick it here. The interview can be found here:

http://www.spiritedsoccer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

Norma - When you see this, let me know if you got either of my attempts to reply to your PM... Don

8. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that this should be brought back up to the top of the threads, since there is now less than a week to go...

The extended forecast for San Diego at the Weather Channel website:

01/09 Scattered Showers 71/48
    01/10 Partly Cloudy 71/47
    01/11 Partly Cloudy 70/47
    01/12 Mostly Sunny 69/47

So, except for Thursday, it looks like really good weather for practices and for the game itself.

10. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USD Campus Map

For those of you who will be attending a game at Torero for the first time, here is a map of the campus. The Mission Parking Complex is the closest to Torero, and is multi-level, but only has room for a fraction of number of vehicles that arrive for games. The parking lots are scattered all over the place, but trams pick up people and take them to the Stadium. I do not know if there will be a charge for parking at the Mission Complex (for Spirit games, it is normallly $5, with the other lots being free...)

http://www.sandiego.edu/parking/images/map200.jpg

11. sdn8ve

sdn8ve New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    San Diego
    ARCO training schedule

I called & talked to the operator & got the training schedule (they are open to the public she said)

Thursday, 1/9 at 3 p.m.
    Friday, 1/10 at 10:30 a.m.
    Saturday at USD
    Monday, 1/13 at 11 a.m.
    Tuesday, 1/14 at 11 a.m.

I may have to take a day off work :) hee hee!

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning's Union-Tribune has a short piece by Mark Zeigler that says that practice doesn't start until tomorrow (at 3pm) and Friday (at 10:30am), at ARCO. It also indicates that there would be a closed practice at Torero on Saturday.

13. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 player roster announced

From an email by the Spirit...

HEINRICHS NAMES 18 PLAYERS TO FACE JAPAN
    TOMORROW IN SAN DIEGO AT TORERO STADIUM
    Match Will Be Televised Live on ESPN at 12:55 p.m. PT

CHICAGO (January 11, 2003) - After watching 26 players in three days of training, U.S. Women's National Team head coach April Heinrichs has named the 18 players who will face Japan tomorrow, Jan. 12, at Torero Stadium in San
    Diego, Calif. Kickoff is at 12:55 p.m. PT live on ESPN. Tickets ranging in price from $20 to $35 will be available at the gate on game day.

The USA vs. Japan match will be the first of approximately 15 games the USA will play before the 2003 Women's World Cup, which runs from September 23-October 11, in four Chinese cities.

Heinrichs named two San Diego Spirit players who will be playing in their home stadium in defender Joy Fawcett, the most capped player on the roster at 203 games played for the USA, and 2002 Chevy U.S. Soccer Female Athlete of the Year Shannon MacMillan. Also named were 1999 Women's World Cup veterans Brandi Chastain (San Jose CyberRays), Tiffeny Milbrett (New York Power), Cindy Parlow (Atlanta Beat), Tiffany Roberts (Carolina Courage) and Kate Sobrero (Boston Breakers).

Heinrichs named four non-professionals in midfielder Aly Wagner, who was in St. Louis, Mo., last night to accept the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy as college soccer's top player, University of North Carolina junior defender Cat Reddick, and a pair of teenagers in UNC freshman Lindsay Tarpley and high school senior Heather O'Reilly.

Tarpley, the ACC Freshman of the Year and leading scorer for the Tar Heels, will be looking for her first full national team cap after earning 26
    at the U-19 level, in which she scored 24 goals, the last of which won the 2002 FIFA U-19 World Championship in sudden death overtime as the USA
    defeated Canada, 1-0. The goalkeepers named are LaKeysia Beene (CyberRays) and Siri Mullinix (Washington Freedom).

All 26 players in camp are still eligible to make the roster for the Four Nations Tournament in China taking place from Jan. 23-29, 2003, and featuring
    the USA, China, Norway and Germany. The USA will train for two more days after the Japan match before Heinrichs names the Four Nations roster in the middle of next week and the USA will depart for China on Thursday. The complete 18-player roster to face Japan is as follows:

Goalkeepers: LaKeysia Beene, Siri Mullinix;
    Defenders: Thori Bryan, Brandi Chastain, Joy Fawcett, Cat Reddick, Kate Sobrero;

Midfielders: Lorrie Fair, Angela Hucles, Jena Kluegel, Tiffany Roberts, Aly Wagner;

Forwards: Shannon MacMillan, Tiffeny Milbrett, Heather O'Reilly, Cindy Parlow, Lindsay Tarpley, Abby Wambach.

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5,099. I wonder if we'll ever see another WNT game again.

The field looked beautiful though, the weather was fantastic, and 5,000 odd is better than some of the other attendance figures the WNT has had recently.

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the people sitting around me (all of them, except Nordby1 and magiclamp) were guessing that there were more like 6,000 there - sections 101, 102 and 103 seemed to be completely filled. We found ourselves wondering how many more (i.e., PTHers) would have showed up if Mia had been there.

The field itself really looked good. It did look odd, though, to see those people seated on the sidelines behind the bumper signs on the other side of the field. I'm sure Brandi had times when she wished for those extra 3-4 feet so she could make longer throw ins into the box...

18. spiritpr

spiritpr New Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Thanks for coming out

We at the Spirit thank you for coming out to the USWNT event. The game was produced by US Soccer, so it had the climate of an international match.

We did not do to bad considering that the game was right after the holidays, whe people have already spent money, a girl's tournament was in town and no Mia or Julie.

It was nice to get back into the swing of things, even on a limited fashion.

Looking forward to the season.

19. magster56

magster56 New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Orange County
    Re: Thanks for coming out

Right SPR, and don't forget that it was a big football weekend. With San Diego being the host city for the SuperBowl, there is alot of interest in the games there, even if the Chargers won't be playing.
    I was at Seau's before the game, watching my 49'ers get slaughtered, and the joint was really jumping!