Hannover surprises with last minute transfers (affects Casey)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Sep 1, 2002.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Hannover realised the promise to announce new players before the deadline. One of them unfortunately lowers Conor's chances on a starting spot - ironically it's a player of his "original" club: Fredi Bobic.

The players:

Fredi Bobic - 30 year old striker from Borussia Dortmund. Scored 86 goals in 204 Bundesliga games (19 caps for Germany), mainly for Stuttgart, but also for Dortmund. Didn't play a role in Dortmund anymore and was loaned to Bolton last season. He'll definitely take the spot of the starting center.

Kostas Konstantinidis - 30 year old central/defensive mid from Hertha BSC Berlin. A little bit surprising as this position basically was the only one where Hannover was competitive so far. He played 47 games for Hertha (2 goals) and has 34 caps for Greece. After a long injury last season he was teammate of Bobic in Bolton also due to a loan deal.

The third promised player was not announced so far.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Olaf.

Any indication on when Casey will be match fit?Maybe this would have something to with the transfer?

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Casey's been training for the last 10 days or so. He should be ready, but I'm sure the Hannover brass don't want to rush him back like they attempted to in the summer.

At this point, it seems like Bobic is first choice, then Casey and N'Kufo fighting for the scraps.

4. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I think without Bobic Casey would have had good chances to make the starting lineup soon as N'Kufo simply was bad so far and was rather a problem for Hannover's play that bases a lot on moves. Now it will be much more difficult as Hannover might be unwilling put a not exactly cheap new transfer as N'Kufo to the position of the third center. We can just wait I'm afraid. Bobic probably is a good fit - he's been member of the so called "Magic Triangle" in Stuttgart's successful years (Balakov - Elber - Bobic) and he's having playing qualities as well as striking qualities.

5. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Hannover scheduled a press conference at 4 pm today. It is rumoured that they signed two players of GM Ricardo Moar's previous club Deportivo La Coruna. However, the transfer list closes in four minutes and I didn't see such a name appear when I looked it up some minutes ago.

6. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Bobic didn't exactly turn the world on fire when he was with Bolton last season. So, at the beginnning, it'll be Bobic in front of the pack with Casey and N'Kufo behind him--but performance, of course, will change that.

7. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    As olaf mentioned, three Spanish players in.

Jose Manuel, Fernando Sanchez Cipitria and Jaime Fernando. More info to follow.

8. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Manuel's a midfielder, 29 in November.

Cipitria's a winger (it looks), 31 on the 12th.

9. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Just wanted to post that. I know a little about Jose Manuel (except that different sources list him as born in 1973 and others in 1979 - I thought this was an African specialty ;)). Does anyone know the other two?

10. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Jaime's an attacker, 29. 5'7", probably another winger.

Jesus, not a single defender, where they need the most help.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys!

Well,no right backs at least....

12. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Hm, they bought five and the President announced to strengthen all parts of the team... maybe Konstantinidis is thought to play central defender.

13. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    That could be an option--and like I said, Bobic didn't have a superb season for Bolton on loan (four goals in 14 starts, and three in one match), and perhaps Casey can beat him out once he starts player. If he starts playing...

14. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Yes, but I can imagine that Bobic fits very well to Hannover's playing style. He's a good finisher and also someone you can use for moves. Surely he never reached his Stuttgart performances later on (Top scorer of the league in 1996), but he should be able to help Hannover.

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobic looked done two years ago to me. But he will obviously get first shot at things and if he produces, that's that. Casey will have to produce in his chances even if they are short. I can't see Bobic and Casey working well together, so I think it is either one or the other.

16. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    True, at least if Hannover sticks to the 4-3-3 system (and they will as long as Rangnick stays as he is someone who at the end always was struck by his principles).

Two aspects: Rangnick gets more and more into criticism. The President and the GM blamed him for the bad transfers at the beginning of the season - all 5 transfers now happened on their will. Additionally Rangnick was offered a new contract until 2005 - now after three losses the officials hesitate with signing it. However, if the 5 new players help the club, then they'll also help Rangnick. At least GM Moar did the German deadline sensation with this five deals - the media linked about 10 to 15 names with Hannover, but not a single of these 5 was expected.

Funny to see the league go hand in hand with Hannover. It was known that Hannover scheduled the press conference at 4 pm and the league waited until 4.03 pm before announcing this deal to be completed (though they knew at least for four hours).

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Jose Manuel was born in 1973, unless you're thinking of Manel who was born in 1971. Anyway, I never saw their name in any game that Depor played last season.

Jaime was a promissing player at one point. He played for Real Madrid for a while, then moved to Depor. Had some playing time but in a team full of excellent midfielders there was no way for him to really break in.

Fernando is probably the best player of the three. He was very good when he played for Betis but at Depor he again run up against too much competition.

All three guys are rather old for just a loan out. Anyway, you received some rather pedestrian players I'm afraid. All play in the midfield (unless the Jose Manuel is Manel in which he is a defender). Fernando has played some at forward so he is versatile.

PS: This was in respnse to your request from the Spanish board.

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Just African? no-no. As the brazilian (name slips me) at Chievo Verona has shown, there are others that are darn good at it, too. :)