If the road to WC2010 would start today...

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Edgar, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Edgar

Edgar Member

How would the AFC preliminaries look like with Australia in the mix?

We'll assume all 45 members participate. In the present qualifiers Cambodia, Philippines, Bhutan and Brunei Darussalam did not enrol; Myanmar was excluded; Guam and Nepal whitdrew in the first stage.

So, based on the present preliminary format (link), this how I think it will be ;)

First stage

- 26 teams.
    - Cup system on a home and away basis.
    - The 26 lowest-ranked teams classified on the basis of the FIFA World Ranking published on 15 June 2005.
    - The teams will be split into 2 pots. Pot A containing the 13 countries ranked 20 to 32 (within AFC) and pot B containing the 13 countries ranked 33 to 45.
    - Teams will be paired by drawing one country from pot A and one country from pot B. There will then be a draw to determine which team plays the first leg of each tie at home.
    - The 13 winners advance to the second Stage.

Pot A:
    Code:
    105 Turkmenistan
    107 Vietnam
    111 Malaysia
    113 Lebanon
    123 Hong Kong
    124 Yemen
    130 Palestine
    135 India
    138 Tajikistan
    141 Sri Lanka
    142 Maldives
    146 Myanmar
    152 Kyrgyzstan

Pot B:
    Code:
    153 Chinese Taipei
    163 Laos
    168 Bangladesh
    175 Pakistan
    178 Nepal
    183 Mongolia
    185 Cambodia
    187 Philippines
    188 Bhutan
    190 Macao
    199 Brunei Darussalam
    200 Agfhanistan
    204 Guam

We'll assume teams from Pot A qualify for the second stage. Actually, teams from Pot B could also advance.

Second stage

- 8 groups of 4 teams will be drawn.
    - League system on a home and away basis.
    - The 32 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ (we'll just sort them using the FIFA Rankings :D)
    - 4 pots containing 8 teams each.
    - Pot A containing the 8 highest-ranked countries; pot B containing the countries ranked 9 to 16; pot C the countries ranked 17 to 24; pot D the countries ranked 25 to 32.

Pot A
    Code:
     17 Iran
     18 Japan
     20 Korea Republic
     31 Saudi Arabia
     51 Bahrain
     52 Iraq
     54 Jordan
     54 Uzbekistan

Pot B:
    Code:
     56 Kuwait
     57 [color=green][b]Australia[/b][/color]
     61 China PR
     63 Oman
     74 Qatar
     86 United Arab Emirates
     88 Thailand
     91 Indonesia

Pot C:
    Code:
     93 Syria
     94 Korea DPR
     99 Singapore
    105 Turkmenistan
    107 Vietnam
    111 Malaysia
    113 Lebanon
    123 Hong Kong

Pot D:
    Code:
    124 Yemen
    130 Palestine
    135 India
    138 Tajikistan
    141 Sri Lanka
    142 Maldives
    146 Myanmar
    152 Kyrgyzstan

- The draw starts with pot D and ends with pot A. Each pot is entirely emptied before proceeding to the next pot. The teams are allocated to groups 1 to 8 in the order in which they are drawn in their respective position (see below) starting from left to right.
    - The teams in pot D are placed in position 4 in each group; the teams in pot C in position 3; the teams in pot B in position 2 and the teams in pot A in position 1.
    - The 8 winners of each group advance to the 3rd Stage.
    - We'll assume teams from Pot A advance to the next stage. Actually, teams from other pots may also qualify. I know the guys from Australia will certainly hope so. ;)

Third stage

- 2 groups of 4 teams each will be drawn.
    - 4 pots containing 2 teams each.
    - The 8 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ (again, we'll just sort them using the FIFA Rankings :D)
    - Pot A containing the top 2 ranked countries; pot B containing the countries ranked 3 and 4; pot C the countries ranked 5 and 6; pot D the countries ranked 7 and 8.

Pot A:
    Code:
     17 Iran
     18 Japan

Pot B
    Code:
     20 Korea Republic
     31 Saudi Arabia

Pot C

Code:
     51 Bahrain
     52 Iraq

Pot D:
    Code:
     54 Jordan
     54 Uzbekistan

- The draw starts with pot D and ends with pot A. Each pot is entirely emptied before proceeding to the next pot. The teams are allocated in the order in which they are drawn into groups 1 and 2 in their respective position (see below) starting from left to right.
    - The teams in pot D are placed in position 4 in each group; the teams in pot C in position 3; the teams in pot B in position 2 and the teams in pot A in position 1.
    - The first- and second-placed teams in each group qualify directly for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
    - The 3rd placed team from each group will contest a two-leg play-off on a home and away basis.

Play-off Asia/North, Central America and the Caribbean

- The winner of the above play-off will play off with the 4th placed team of North, Central America and the Caribbean. Decisions as to the exact timings and which team should play the first leg at home will be passed by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup™ at a later date.

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/GUESTS/peter20040113.html

I don't think that's exactly how it works. The link is an article that says that they put the teams in pots this time based on World Cup qualifying (2002) preformance. So if that's the case, the eight teams still playing will be the eight seeds. I don't know how Australia goes into that.

3. Edgar

Edgar Member

First of all, look here.

So as you can see, I followed the rules.

There are 3 possibilities:

1. Australia goes to the World Cup. In this case, they will surely be in the top 8, along with Japan, Iran, Korea Republic, Saudi Arabia and the 2 nations playing for the playoff (Kuwait and Bahrain). I think Uzbekistan would also be in the top 8, while Korea DPR would drop in the second pot (has 0 points in Group B, see here).
    2. Australia loses to the 5th placed team in the OFC/CONMEBOL playoff. IMHO, they would still be in the top 8, as they would have reached the playoff for Germany 2006 and they would be in a similar position to Kuwait or Bahrain. So: Japan, Iran, Korea Republic, Saudi Arabia would be above them. Also, Kuwait/Bahrain if they get to the WC. Top 8.
    3. Australia loses to Solomon Islands in the Oceania playoff. Unlikely, but it's a possibility. They would be in the same position as the losing team in the Kuwait/Bahrain playoff. Still top 8.

All this taken into account, the first pot in the second stage would be:

Code:
     17 Iran
     18 Japan
     20 Korea Republic
     31 Saudi Arabia
     51 Bahrain
     54 Uzbekistan
     56 Kuwait

Of course, we will know more come September 6th, when the OFC playoff is over.

4. Edgar

Edgar Member

AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ (including Australia): First, the teams qualified for the World Cup (ranked by the number of points in the last stage. Of course, in the next qualifiers they will be ranked according to their WC 2006 performance). Then the nations who have reached a pre-play-off (i.e. they have to play 2 more teams in order to get to the WC). Then the nations eliminated in the last group stage. Then the teams eliminated in the AFC first group stage, ranked by the number of points in that phase and goal difference.

Iran 13
    Japan 12
    Saudi Arabia 11
    Korea Republic 10
    Bahrain 4
    Kuwait 4
    Australia
    Uzbekistan 2
    Korea DPR 0
    China PR 15
    Jordan 12
    Iraq 11 (17-7)
    Lebanon 11 (11-5)
    Oman 10 (14-3)
    United Arab Emirates 10 (6-6)
    Qatar 9
    Syria 8
    Palestine 7 (11-11)
    Thailand 7 (9-10)
    Turkmenistan 7 (8-10)
    Indonesia 7 (8-12)
    Tajikistan 7 (5-9)
    Hong Kong 6
    Yemen 5
    Vietnam SR 4 (5-9)
    Kyrgyzstan 4 (5-12)
    Maldives 4 (5-14)
    India 4 (2-18)
    Singapore 3
    Sri Lanka 2
    Malaysia 0 (2-18)
    Chinese Taipei 0 (3-26)
    Laos 0 (3-33)

5. Edgar

Edgar Member

How would the AFC preliminaries look like with Australia in the mix?

We'll assume all 45 members participate. In the present qualifiers Cambodia, Philippines, Bhutan and Brunei Darussalam did not enrol; Myanmar was excluded; Guam and Nepal whitdrew in the first stage.

So, based on the present preliminary format (link) and on this article (thanks scaryice), this how I think it will be ;)

First stage

- 26 teams.
    - The 26 lowest-ranked teams classified on the basis of the FIFA World Ranking published on 15 June 2005 and the AFC Ranking in the FIFA World Cup Germany™
    - The teams will be split into 2 pots. Pot A containing the 13 countries ranked 20 to 32 (within AFC) and pot B containing the 13 countries ranked 33 to 45.
    - Teams will be paired by drawing one country from pot A and one country from pot B. There will then be a draw to determine which team plays the first leg of each tie at home.
    - The 13 winners advance to the second Stage.

Pot A:
    Code:
    105 Turkmenistan
     91 Indonesia
    138 Tajikistan
    123 Hong Kong
    124 Yemen
    107 Vietnam
    152 Kyrgyzstan
    142 Maldives
    135 India
     99 Singapore
    141 Sri Lanka
    111 Malaysia
    153 Chinese Taipei

Pot B:
    Code:
    163 Laos
    146 Myanmar
    168 Bangladesh
    175 Pakistan
    178 Nepal
    183 Mongolia
    185 Cambodia
    187 Philippines
    188 Bhutan
    190 Macao
    199 Brunei Darussalam
    200 Agfhanistan
    204 Guam

We'll assume teams from Pot A qualify for the second stage. Actually, teams from Pot B could also advance.

Second stage

- The 32 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™
    - Pot A containing the 8 highest-ranked countries; pot B containing the countries ranked 9 to 16; pot C the countries ranked 17 to 24; pot D the countries ranked 25 to 32.

Pot A
    Code:
     17 Iran
     18 Japan
     31 Saudi Arabia
     20 Korea Republic
     51 Bahrain
     56 Kuwait
     54 Uzbekistan

Pot B:
    Code:
     94 Korea DPR
     61 China PR
     54 Jordan
     52 Iraq
    113 Lebanon
     63 Oman
     86 United Arab Emirates
     74 Qatar

Pot C:
    Code:
     93 Syria
    130 Palestine
     88 Thailand
    105 Turkmenistan
     91 Indonesia
    138 Tajikistan
    123 Hong Kong
    124 Yemen

Pot D:
    Code:
    107 Vietnam
    152 Kyrgyzstan
    142 Maldives
    135 India
     99 Singapore
    141 Sri Lanka
    111 Malaysia
    153 Chinese Taipei

- The draw starts with pot D and ends with pot A. Each pot is entirely emptied before proceeding to the next pot. The teams are allocated to groups 1 to 8 in the order in which they are drawn in their respective position (see below) starting from left to right.
    - We'll assume teams from Pot A advance to the next stage. Actually, teams from other pots may also qualify.

Third stage

- The 8 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™
    - Pot A containing the top 2 ranked countries; pot B containing the countries ranked 3 and 4; pot C the countries ranked 5 and 6; pot D the countries ranked 7 and 8.

Pot A:
    Code:
     17 Iran
     18 Japan

Pot B
    Code:
     31 Saudi Arabia
     20 Korea Republic

Pot C
    Code:
     51 Bahrain
     56 Kuwait

Pot D:
    Code:
     54 Uzbekistan

- The draw starts with pot D and ends with pot A. Each pot is entirely emptied before proceeding to the next pot. The teams are allocated in the order in which they are drawn into groups 1 and 2 in their respective position (see below) starting from left to right.
    - The first- and second-placed teams in each group qualify directly for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
    - The 3rd placed team from each group will contest a two-leg play-off on a home and away basis.

Play-off Asia/North, Central America and the Caribbean

- The winner of the above play-off will play off with the 4th placed team of North, Central America and the Caribbean. Decisions as to the exact timings and which team should play the first leg at home will be passed by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup™ at a later date.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    regardless of how they fall, australia will be an immediate favorite to claim a spot - their starting lineup is very experienced and mostly taken from the premiership - by 2009, guys like kewell, cahill, neill, culina and bresciano will be ready to rock finally having a straight shot to a WC berth

btw, great work edgar

7. Edgar

Edgar Member

I hope Australia will be in the first pot. Imagine drawing Japan in the first group stage, when only the group winner advances. It would prove quite difficult. We'll see what preliminary format will the AFC Comitee come up with.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i'll say this much... i'm not sure i'd be favoring japan against a very hungry '09 australia

9. Xevor

Xevor New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Holland
    Damn China is in Pot 2 :D I just hope China will not be grouped with Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia or Saudi Arabia.

But according of the post of Edgar we could see a group like: Iran, South Korea, Australia, China. Imagine if that happens, because if Australia goes to WC they will be 7th in the ranking of Asia and if China also goes to second round by defeating for example Bahrain they will become 6th (Australia) and China 7th/8th

10. Edgar

Edgar Member

Well, the top 7 teams may switch places among them. Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia and South Korea are already qualified for the WC. Kuwait, Bahrain, Australia have to defeat 2 more teams in order to get to Germany.

If Australia manages to qualify, then it will be ranked according to their performance at the WC, so it's possible they get first place in the AFC Rankings. Even if Australia doesn't make it to Germany, I think they will defeat the Solomon Islands. They will be in the 3rd pot in the last group stage, as Kuwait or Bahrain will drop in the 4th. Again, those are my thoughts. Who knows what the AFC will do? For all I know, they could place Australia in the last pot or completely transform the preliminary format.

11. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm pretty sure commercial considerations alone mean the format will be changed. Having China miss out on the groups was a bad result, and the addition of Australia (possibly) to the "non-seeded" pots could make things even worse. Sure, if Australia and Japan were in the same group I'd favour Japan, but it wouldn't be a certainty and the loss of Japan (or S.Korea or Iran or Saudi Arabia) from the qualifiers is bad for business.

My alternative suggestion is pretty close to now.

I - Two round of preliminary qualifiers of home-away knock-out.
    The first gets us from n teams (number of entries) down to 36. The second has 12 exempt teams and we get down to 24.

II - Six groups of 4 - top two advance

III - Two groups of 6 - top two qualify, thirds to po and then po v OFC.

Why?
    Stage I is affordable to the small teams - who appear to want to enter the WCQuals, but don't actually want to advance to a group stage which they can't afford (ie Guam). Some middle ranked teams get 2 sets of matches rather than 1.

Second stage is not so cut-throat as this time - so likely 2nd seeds China, Thailand (and maybe Australia) won't be eliminated (or eliminate Japan and co).

Third Stage will be longer than this time around - which (IMHO) has been a bit quick to finish (it seemed sewn up after just 4 games). It would be likely that the 6th team in each group is going to be beaten up a little bit - but avoiding byes is preferable to limiting the size to 5.

Issues?
    Compared with Concacaf this time around you either need to play the 1st qualifying round before the draw (as AFC did this time) or find 2 more match days during the 2 year schedule (for the AFC play-off effectively - unless you play it as a one-off in late October 2009 - which is also a possibility).

I can't bothered doing the full group, but the first group stage pots might look something like this (assuming Aus is ranked 6th, Bahrain 5th and Kuwait 7th and everything else ended today).

POT A: Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Australia
    POT B: Kuwait, Uzbekistan, North Korea, China, Jordan, Iraq
    POT C: Lebanon, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Syria, Thailand
    POT D: Indonesia, Turkmenistan, Palestine, Tajikistan, Hong Kong, Yemen

Frankly, with 2 going through, Australia going into Pot D doesn't cause as much trouble.

A possible groupwould be: Bahrain, China, Qatar, Turkmenistan or Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong (did a random draw).

DOing a very simple "qualifying" scheme (added a random number 1-100 to their current FIFA rank and took the two smallest from each group).

Top two in each group advance - and (LOL) China got eliminated by Qatar (i didn't cheat :eek: ) and Jordan beat South Korea (for 1st in group). One group I got was Australia, North Korea, Thailand, Indonesia - with the last three almost equal on FIFA ranks the bottom ranked side (Indonesia) gets lucky and advances as well.

Stage III has six pots of two teams. Group winner (Pots A-C) and runners-up (Pots D-F) from Stage II are again ranked like this time.

POT A: Iran, Japan
    POT B: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain
    POT C: Australia, Jordan

POT D: S.Korea, Kuwait
    POT E: Uzbekistan, Iraq
    POT F: Qatar, Indonesia.

Groups have a team from each pot.
    These would be interesting groups I think.

Anyway, this is already a ridiculously long post, so I'll just shut-up.

J

12. Edgar

Edgar Member

First stage

First round: 18 teams (assuming all nations participate)

Pot A:
    Code:
    135 India
     99 Singapore
    141 Sri Lanka
    111 Malaysia
    153 Chinese Taipei
    163 Laos
    146 Myanmar
    168 Bangladesh
    175 Pakistan
    Pot B:
    Code:
    178 Nepal
    183 Mongolia
    185 Cambodia
    187 Philippines
    188 Bhutan
    190 Macao
    199 Brunei Darussalam
    200 Agfhanistan
    204 Guam
    Second round: 24 teams

Pot A:
    Code:
    113 Lebanon
     63 Oman
     86 United Arab Emirates
     74 Qatar
     93 Syria
    130 Palestine
     88 Thailand
    105 Turkmenistan
     91 Indonesia
    138 Tajikistan
    123 Hong Kong
    124 Yemen
    Pot B:
    Code:
    107 Vietnam
    152 Kyrgyzstan
    142 Maldives
    135 India
     99 Singapore
    141 Sri Lanka
    111 Malaysia
    153 Chinese Taipei
    163 Laos
    146 Myanmar
    168 Bangladesh
    175 Pakistan

13. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    suppose AFC retains 4.5, i'd like to see it try for 3 groups of 4 for the final round. 3 first finishers quallify, and one of the 2nd place teams P/O against a team from other confed whild the other two of 2nd place teams face each other.

14. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Agree!

15. xabi_al0ns0

xabi_al0ns0 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Australia
    Wow I'm confused by all this. :D

I guess I'll have to get used to this qualifying format from now on. :cool:

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    In a one-off match, I'd agree with you. But in a 4-team round robin, I think the edge still goes to Japan simply because of experience.

Now, I think entering the 2007 Asian Cup is quite possibly the best thing for Australia in their preparation for 2010. Even if the Aussies don't make the Finals (and with 4 co-hosts qualifying automatically, places are limited), they would get valuable experience playing meaningful games and gauging themselves against the rest of AFC.

I wouldn't make too much of the overseas talent though. Kewell is fantastic when healthy and in-form, but when was the last time that was true? Viduka is a great finisher but he's past his peak. But more importantly, what makes or breaks a qualifying campaign is the quality of the mid-tier players and replacements for inevitable injuries and suspensions. Plus, it doesn't help that the coach was just fired.

17. Edgar

Edgar Member

My mistake, there are 46 members, including Australia. I forgot Timor Leste from ASEAN, but they are not in the FIFA Rankings yet. What's their status? :confused:

18. Edgar

Edgar Member

An update after the group stage

AFC Ranking for the 5 AFC representatives at the WC2006

1. Australia - only team to make it to the last 16
    2. Korea Republic - 4 points
    3. Iran - 1 point (2 - 6)
    4. Japan - 1 point (2 - 7)
    5. Saudi Arabia - 1 point (2 - 7)

Japan is in 4th because they made 15 points in the AFC WCQ last stage. Saudi Arabia made 14.

Possible scenario for the AFC WCQ for South Africa 2010.

First stage

- 28 teams.
    - The 28 lowest-ranked teams classified on the basis of the FIFA World Ranking published on 17 May 2006 and the AFC Ranking in the FIFA World Cup Germany™
    - The teams will be split into 2 pots. Pot A containing the 14 countries ranked 19 to 32 (within AFC) and pot B containing the 13 countries ranked 33 to 46.
    - The 14 winners advance to the second Stage.

Pot A:

Code:
    108 Thailand
    120 Turkmenistan
    110 Indonesia
    121 Tajikistan
    116 Hong Kong
    132 Yemen
    126 Vietnam
    147 Kyrgyzstan
    137 Maldives
    117 India
     92 Singapore
    136 Sri Lanka
    127 Malaysia
    156 Chinese Taipei
    Pot B:

Code:
    172 Laos
    140 Bangladesh
    192 Macau
    153 Pakistan
    179 Mongolia
    188 Afghanistan
    149 Myanmar
    169 Nepal
    184 Cambodia
    190 Bhutan
    191 Philippines
    193 Brunei Darussalam
    203 Guam
    206 Timor Leste

Second stage

- The 32 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™

Pot A:
    Code:
     42 Australia
     29 Korea Republic
     23 Iran
     18 Japan
     34 Saudi Arabia
     54 Bahrain
     60 Uzbekistan
     74 Kuwait
    Pot B:
    Code:
     88 Korea DPR
     68 China PR
     84 Jordan
     52 Iraq
    122 Lebanon
     82 Oman
     71 United Arab Emirates
     78 Qatar
    Pot C:
    Code:
     90 Syria
    115 Palestine
    108 Thailand
    120 Turkmenistan
    110 Indonesia
    121 Tajikistan
    116 Hong Kong
    132 Yemen
    Pot D:
    Code:
    126 Vietnam
    147 Kyrgyzstan
    137 Maldives
    117 India
     92 Singapore
    136 Sri Lanka
    127 Malaysia
    156 Chinese Taipei
    - We'll assume teams from Pot A advance to the next stage. Actually, teams from other pots may also qualify.

Third stage

- The 8 teams will be classified on the basis of the AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™

Pot A:
    Code:
     42 Australia
     29 Korea Republic
    Pot B:
    Code:
     23 Iran
     18 Japan
    Pot C:
    Code:
     34 Saudi Arabia
     54 Bahrain
    Pot D:
    Code:
     60 Uzbekistan
     74 Kuwait

19. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    FIFA ranking are crap but #57 :eek:

After the World Cup Australia might be pushing top 30 in FIFA rankings

ELO rankings (a much better ranking system) has us about 15th.

20. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
  21. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    That was our ranking mid-way through last year, before Guus and our impressive record since. With the new ranking system coming in, it'll be interesting to see where we end up, i'm thinking top 30 at least, probably around 22-24.

I think there'll be a lot of talk about allocatoins for each region after this cup, check out the 'why do people say CONCACAF is crap' thread for the discussions, but the balance for africa, asia and north america have all been questioned, which is fair enough considering how poorly each of those confederations usually does in the actual world cup.

22. Edgar

Edgar Member

For the records, Australia is now 42nd. As tfoz said, 57th was your ranking in June 2005.

The FIFA Rankings only come into play to rank those teams that didn't take part in the AFC WCQ for Germany 2006. (Australia excluded as they qualified for Germany 2006). I listed the FIFA Ranking to show more info about each team. I'm pretty sure FIFA won't be using the Eloratings to rank the teams that didn't participate in the last WCQ. :)

AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ (including Australia):

First, the 5 teams qualified for the World Cup (ranked by performance in Germany 2006, then by performance in the AFC WCQ)
    Then Bahrain - loser of the AFC-CONCACAF play-off.
    Then Uzbekistan - loser of the AFC play-off.
    Then the nations eliminated in the last group stage, ranked by the number of points in that phase and goal difference.
    Then the teams eliminated in the AFC first group stage, ranked by the number of points in that phase and goal difference.
    Then the teams eliminate in the AFC first stage, ranked by number of points in that phase and goal difference.
    Then the teams that either didn't take part in the last AFC WCQ or withdrew (Guam and Nepal)

More info on the AFC Ranking system -> PlanetWorldCup.com

AFC Ranking in the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™

1. Australia
    2. Korea Republic
    3. Iran
    4. Japan
    5. Saudi Arabia
    6. Bahrain
    7. Uzbekistan
    8. Kuwait
    9. Korea DPR
    10. China
    11. Jordan
    12. Iraq
    13. Lebanon
    14. Oman
    15. United Arab Emirates
    16. Qatar
    17. Syria
    18. Palestine
    19. Thailand
    20. Turkmenistan
    21. Indonesia
    22. Tajikistan
    23. Hong Kong
    24. Yemen
    25. Vietnam
    26. Kyrgyzstan
    27. Maldives
    28. India
    29. Singapore
    30. Sri Lanka
    31. Malaysia
    32. Chinese Taipei
    33. Laos
    34. Bangladesh
    35. Macau
    36. Pakistan
    37. Mongolia
    38. Afghanistan
    39. Myanmar
    40. Nepal
    41. Cambodia
    42. Bhutan
    43. Philippines
    44. Brunei Darussalam
    45. Guam
    46. Timor Leste

Based on these rankings, this is how the AFC WCQ 2010 would look like if all the AFC members enter the qualifiers -> link. AFC will most likely use the same system even if they will lose some of their WC places. The system may change if the OFC winner will join the AFC final group stage, as suggested by Blatter in December 2005 -> link

23. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Don't tell me this thread will activating until 2010?

24. Edgar

Edgar Member

Not that long :)
    FIFA should announce the new spot allocation in December 2006. Then the AFC will have to come up with the new qualifying system. But this thread has served its purpose. With the group stage ended, we now know the AFC ranking for WC2006.

25. Mussab86

Mussab86 Member+

Jan 20, 2006
    Jabriya, Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Lebanon better than UAE and Oman?
    Jordan better than Iraq?
    Korea DPR better than China?

what Kind of Ranking is that?