Guevara accused of racist remark

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Shaydee, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope this isn't true...

but i also hope this doesn't become a "team that cried wolf" situation where no one believes williams because of the muddy nowak accusations ellinger made earlier this season.

3. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It is pretty strange that we have another racist incident happening in Salt Lake. If something does happen, I hope the discipline is severe.

4. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    If Guevara did make racist remarks, he deserves heavy punishment. This is the second time this season we've had a problem like this in MLS and we can't tolerate racism in any form. It's absolutely disgusting that this could possibly happen in our league.

5. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just talked to Amado. He is very upset this came out and says that due to his heavy Honduran accent, Williams could nto understand him. He claims he really said, "send him back to hospital".

6. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Hilarious.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he said something about Andy "going to the hospital."

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    But those were true :rolleyes:

10. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Hey, next time you speak to him, tell him he sucks and the Red Bull doesn't need his lazy, no hustlin', racist ass on our team anymore.

11. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said about the Nowak thing.. WHO CARES!!!

Once the light goes out.. We alll black!!

12. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Maybe he just said "niggardly".

13. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not saying you're wrong, but...

how do you know?

seriously.

14. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    Anybody watching big love on HBO?

15. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    If the racist allegations were against a white guy, this thread would already be 20 pages long. Anyway, racists are ignorant fools. If there's proof that Guevara made a racist comment to Williams, he should be banned from MLS.

16. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Well, at least one of your sentences makes sense.

17. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Gee, I think it's a little harsh to kick Andy Williams out of the league for this.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    How do you punish somebody when he's already suffering the indignity of playing for FC Zima?

19. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Easy, you trade him to DC :D

20. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so says the man who's team had their trophyless history erased recently... kind of a useless exercise.

21. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, I forgot to thank the Metros for giving Moreno back to us. What did you guys get out of that again? A third rounder? What did we get out of it? A fourth championship.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Despite the banter, team rivalry and general button-pushing going on elsewhere in this thread, this accusation should be taken serious. FIFA just came out with in announcement about taking 3 points from a team at the World Cup for racist behavior "by fans." Okay, maybe that's all talk. But the point is that on so many levels (what is ethically right, what is good for MLS, alignment with FIFA dictates), MLS needs to take accusations of racism seriously.

2. The reporting on this is terrible and also explains why the Ellinger-Nowak fiasco was so badly mishandled. Has anyone read the article out of SLC? I can't remember what paper (but I don't think it was the Deseret News). The article mentioned the Williams claim against Guevara. It than said that Altiba Harris had claimed that Nowak said the same thing to him (which of course was not true--Ellinger alleged that Nowak said something "in the ballpark"). Sounds like a small issue except at no point I've I heard ANY account that says in the RSL-DCU match ANY black player heard a racist remark. We heard one black player (Jamil Walker) say absolutely no racism and then a couple of white guys debating what was said (Ellinger-Payne-Nowak). On an issue this touchy and explosive, getting the facts (what little there are) garbled can lead to a really, really ugly situation.

This issue is the sort of thing that (especially given how badly MLS handled the first series of charges this season) will easily get mis-reported and mishandled.

3. Finally, you would think that this would be one instance (league game, more fans, MLS officiating crew, league officials, media coverage) where getting a tape of what was said and actual witnesses would be relatively easy.

Also, you can't say that MLS doesn't have a lot of "stuff" going on right now. I can't say I like all of it or think all of it is good news but things ain't dull.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Maybe when RSL finally win a game maybe they'll stop hearing things :D

24. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
  25. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he was trying to call him a "tiger" after that beautiful night they had together, but it came out wrong because of the accent.

Tigre ~ Nigre