Question for Leverkusen Fans

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Sempre, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hello all.

I am curious to know what fans of Bayer Leverkusen
    think of Landon Donovan. Specifically:

I understand from bios I've read on the internet that he
    was held back from the first team, but a poster on the
    site has told me that Donovan was too young to join the
    first squad in his first stint with BL. If anyone can clarify
    I'd be grateful.

Two other questions are--did Donovan give value for
    his contract? And, do you consider him to have done
    well or to have flopped in Germany?

Many thanks, in advance . . . . . .

2. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I am no Leverkusen fan but i think i could answer your question(s).

"Held back from the first team":

He wasn't first choice starter, but its not as if he didn't have his chances. He was just generally quite poor for Leverkusen. I remember last year when Leverkusen started him for the return leg against Liverpool...he failed terribly.

"Too young to join the squad on his first stint in the BL":

I'd agree with this. The first time he was too young. The second time, his age was just right, but he didn't have the work ethic to make anything out of it.

"Did Donovan give value for his contract?":
    i don't know the details of his contract, but i guess not. He returned, and then got "homesick" after two months and went back to the United States...not the way to honour a contract.

"Done well or flopped?":
    Flopped.

He showed 0.0000% of what people expected of him. I personally think you Americans have better players than him - you shouldn't rely so much on him. As far as i see, Cherundolo, Keller and Beasley are all better players.

3. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you mean legally to young to play, or just too young in
    the sense that he hadn't matured enough?

4. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Too young in the sense he wasn't mature enough. I doubt there are any age restrictions in the BL. Sahin debuted for Dortmund this year at 16.

5. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks! Very helpful. :)

6. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Anytime :)

Hey if we beat 'Boro and you guys do your job against Club Brugge, then you may be seeiing quite a bit of me :)

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To answer your question..

I´m actually Donovan fan, fan of Leverkusen and big fan of USMNT..

I have been following Donovan career since last World Cup...

I was happy when he played in Leverkusen....and this is actually the reason why I started to post at bigsoccer..I posted a lot of post about Donovan time in Leverkusen at yank abroad and US men section....

So maybe I will repeat many thoughts here again..

Donovan did not belong to starters in Leverkusen....He only played as replacement for Ponte...

Our coach Augenthaler maybe did not give him enough chance....Or he wanted to give him a chance, but first he wanted that he adapt how to fit into system, into team Bayer Leverkusen. This is maybe Augenthaler did let him to wait longer and Landon played only few minutes in every game.
    Landon got a big chance to play against Liverpool. It was his big chance.
    Whole Leverkusen team played bad against Liverpool. We lost. It was not Donovan fault. He alone was not the team. But I think he felt that he failed.
    He is in the USA big star, the big USMNT star and he wants that US fans
    hear from him only if he is successful. He is afraid to fail. I think Landon prefers better easier league where he can be Number one than higher leagues as Bundesliga where he was not number one.

In MLS he feels comfortable. He is one of the best, he is one of the best USMNT players. He could have been good player in Leverkusen and in Bundesliga, but all what he needed is PATIENCE.

If I were Donovan, I would have stayed longer with Leverkusen, to challenge myself. He simply have give up too early.

I know that many US fans don´t like him for this.

Landon need more fight spirit.

He felt lonely in Leverkusen and missed USA, his girlfriend Bianca and his sister.

Landon is comfortable boy:). He prefers success, to be first and the best one but he don´t want to fight so much for this.

Anyway I think Landon is great for his club and he will do great job in USMNT next year during the World Cup.

He is very good attacking midfield and he can play forward as well. He will be one of the best USMNT players next year.

Maybe European clubs will be interested in Landon after WC again. But I think many clubs already noticed his career in Leverkusen and maybe they will be afraid that Landon would leave soon again:)..

I´m Donovan fan, so I like him. I mostly follow his career in USMNT

what do you think why many US fans don´t like Donovan despite he is one of your best players?

Bltleo
    Leverkusen

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yes this is true as well.

Landon was too young when he started to play for Leverkusen...

I think he is very sensitive boy and felt overhelmed .....new culture, new language, other soccer club than MLS, more pressure in Leverkusen....

he was not matured enough...

and he decided to leave and have more comfortable life home:)

bltleo

9. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    Oh Landon, what can I say?

Having seen him play in MLS for San Jose and now for Los Angeles, LD is the best American player in the game right now, IMHO. He led the Galaxy to their second title this season. He is very talented and has a high football IQ when HE WANTS TO.

His first spell at BL, he was way too young and immature. During his 2nd spell, I think he thought he "deserved" a starting role instead of trying to "earn" a starting spot.

Throughout this past season season in Los Angeles, there many a times where you would ask yourself, "IS LD even in the game?".

But with that being said, when he raises his level of play he is very good. Look at what he did during the MLS playoffs this year, he was on fire.

Had LD stayed in BL, he probably would have had a great opportuity to start this year. He said he eanted to be back home and play where he was happy.

If he is happy in MLS then I support him, but who knows what could have been......................

10. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA

Spot on!!:), I agree

11. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    post for Landon!!..

I expect from you at least that you wish me happy holiday:)

I posted so much about you, you played in Leverkusen and no post from you Landon:)

I was in Scotland friendly USA-Scotland and you was not there.

so hope you come for friendly Germany-USA

and send me finaly christmas greeting:)....

Bltleo

12. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Back to Landon and his time with Leverkusen.

You asked us how we think about Landon time in Leverkusen.

I personally explained you that it is pity that he left and that he decided for comfortable life home than challenge himself in top european league as Bundesliga is. It would have been definitely very good for his career if he had stayed.

I know that many Americans critized Landon for his decision.

We have many American players that are happy to play in Bundesliga - Cherundolo is doing well with Hannover96, Keller with Mönchengladbach, Casey with Mainz, Feilhaber with Hamburg. I was wondering why it did not work with Landon. If he had stayed, showed that he really wants to contribute to our team, he would have been successful. Maybe he was really young and not mature for this decision. Maybe he will regret it once.

But how you Americans think about Landon? I better start this discussion here at Leverkusen board. If I start it at American board, it will cause only a lot of discussion.

There are only two sorts of Donavan "fans": one group love him and the other hate him. There is no middle.

What do you think about landon?

do you think he will play in Europe someday or will he prefer his comfortable life in California?

Bltleo