Trade offer for Pablo

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 22, 2004.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapidsfan has learned that there is an offer on the table of 3 players for Pablo.

www.rapidsfan.com

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade Brewing in Rapid Land?

www.rapidsfan.com is reporting that a trade inside MLS involving Pablo is bubbling up. The site's sources say Pablo would go to another team with the Rapids getting 3 players. Does anyone else have any info on this? Any idea of the team trying to get Pablo's services?

If this is true it might be an indication of why Beckerman was protected and Trembly re-protected after the DLT selection in the expansion draft. If the Rapids knew someone else was going to make an attractive offer for Pablo, they would want as much depth in midfield as possible. Hopefully the trade will involve a striker and attacking midfielder with some ability.

One can only imagine our defense next season without Pablo. I don't see how it could improve.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Trade Brewing in Rapid Land?

Mods, you can merge the two Pablo trade threads.

4. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IIRC, the Revs had tried to get Pablo earlier in the year. Mayhaps we are at it again?

5. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    why would the revs want pablo, seems shalrie does pretty well in that position. shouldn't the revs target an attacking midfielder? i.e. a cancela replacement?

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Noonan, Cancela, and Baker for him. :D

Or maybe Dempsey, Cancela, and Dorman...

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    He could replace Pierce?

since when are the Rapids allowed to have a USMNT player anyway? (at least under 40 y/o)

but seriously it all depends on who the 3 players are. if they're all potential starters, I'd consider it. It's not like the draft has much potential given the limited # of picks left though new management may pick players actually playing in MLS. I can think of about half the team that needs replacing, so a 3:1 trade may help.

Keep Cila, Borchers, Kotschau, Crawford, Cannoh. PRobably Peguero. Maybe one of the SI forwards will be both healthy and good. I can live with Henderson and will give Chung a brief chance to regain form (in case he was injured a little last year). Beckerman gets a brief look too. But really I can only think of 6 solid starters in place for next year.

Peguero Cila
    Chung Beckerman Henderson
    Mastroeni
    Lewis Kotschau Borchers Crawford
    Cannon

insert potentially Roberts or Powell, outside chance of Delgado/Martinez

I can see several places that need upgrading to compete for a title. Trembly/Sullivan/Erush are the young guys, none proven to start yet. DiGi? So 3:1, I'd consider it. But Mastro looked real good for a change in the last qualifier. If a top American striker could be had, I'd turn this down. I think Kirovski may be the solution. LA doesn't seem to want his salary and the Rapids have plenty of cap room if the SI's are dumped. I'm not sure if the Spencer allocation or discoveries will allow for a quality SI to be brought in (the line for new foreigners in MLS will be long, RSL at the front)

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Dempsey is not on the table. Probably not Noonan cause NE isn't deep off the bench at striker unless Dempsey is put up top again (that'd be a waste). Dorman would be an awesome pickup but I think Nichol values him. Cacela definitely seems on the table. I could live with Cancela in place of Beckerman.

9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Pablo play center D - at least for awhile?

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Learned this morning that the trade was initiated by another team and that it involves one forward and two midfeilders. That might make your speculation a bit easier...

12. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Pablo has had some moments for the Nats but he seems to miss too much time for the Rapids. And when he does play, he seems disinterested or gets a red card. We've got Borchers who is there every game and then Pablo who seems to play a game here and there. I say trade him. The teams got to generate some talent somewhere.

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year he played a lot of center back. This year he played both but was better in the defensive midfield role.

14. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the Rapids website:

"Equally talented as both a central defender and holding midfielder, Mastroeni has the ability to single-handedly break up an opposition attack with his pace and strength in tackle. He is also one of the league’s best at starting an attack after winning the ball thanks to his incredible work rate. He is undoubtedly one of the Rapids’ most vocal leaders both on and off the field"

We'll take him!

You can have Llamosa, Joe-Max and Brillant.

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I doubt Dempsey would be on the table, but Pablo is Colorado's lone USMNT representative and team captain. New England is going to have to sacrifice to get him. Noonan would be a good partner for Pedro up top, with Cancela feeding them assists from the midfield and Dorman filling in for Chung or Hendo when they need a break.

I think Colorado would need to fill a defensive hole with Pablo gone, but NE doesn't have many defenders that I would sacrifice Pablo to get.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we get the Brooklyn Bridge with that too? :D

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    How about Franchino or Leonard? The Rapids could use some more borderline starters :)

How about Adin Brown, nothing like an injured 100K+ year backup for Cannon.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think it is a deal with LA?

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope it's us. I'd give y'all your pick of one of our forwards, Ricardo Clark, and Joselito Vaca for him.

20. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Victorine, Vagenas and Moreno.

21. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    to true, I just thought his most natural position was d-mid, thus my confusion as to why the revs would want to give up potentially big for a position they seem to have well filled.

but, if its for center-d, than I guess I see where the rev's would be coming from.

22. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    That would suck beyond comprehension.

Kirovski/Saragosa/Grabavoy - maybe replace one with Memo or Victorine, my final offer

23. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'll throw in Sergio Galvan Rey for free.

24. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan, Cancela, Dorman/Brillant

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think too highly of Cancela, but getting Noonan and Dorman would be nice. Against C Bus in the playoffs Dorman showed some real skill getting into the offense and assisting on a goal. He came on as a sub and really added some spark to the Revs. Noonan has become a quality forward as well. It does seem strange for NE to make this trade since Joeseph has been playing well at the d-mid spot.