Seeding and "Meaning"

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Stan Collins, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I posted this stat on a couple threads elsewhere, but I think it deserves its own thread, because it has implications fans don't usually think about.

Basically, there's been another "no-playoffs" or "8-of-10 is too many" go around where people have been bringing up the concept of "meaningful games."

I personally think most people use that as a term without definition. There's a reasonably sound way of determining what constitutes a meaningful game and what doesn't, in my view, and I don't see too many people using it. So I'm gonna give it a try.

My simple methodology starts with "a game is meaningful if it affects your chances of winning the title." My next assumption is that to win the title, first you get to the title match, and then it's basically anyone's game. I already knew home field in the playoffs was important in MLS, as I once ran the numbers for a couple seasons (playoffs and regular season) and found out that the home team in MLS took about 62% of the points (a draw is 50%, and a win is 100%). [Note: strangely enough, that basically wasn't affected by the shootout. Nor by crowd size, as it applied just as much on weekdays as weekends.]

So, I looked at who has gotten to the title game the past eight years (we're starting to have a decent sample to work with). Here are the MLS Cup Finalists by conference (or division) when we had them.

1 - 75% (12 of 16)
    2 - 19% (3 of 16)
    3 - 0% (0 of 16)
    4 - 6% (1 of 16)

I look at the '97 'Pids as a partial/possible statistical anomaly. That was seven years ago now, and took place in the league's second season. MLS has come a long way since then. So I figure the odds of making the Final are above 75% if you're a 1 seed, above 20% if you're a 2 seed, and below 5% if you're anything else.

So given that, playoff seeding is pretty meaningful, as long as you're not choosing between seeds 3 and 4.

This leads to some surprising conclusions. While columnists like Luis Bueno of the Press Enterprise sees a bunch of meaningless games (http://www.pe.com/columns/bueno/stories/PE_Sports_Local_soccer_column_01.a04b4.html), I see 4 out of 5 being meaningful (you have to stretch it a little to think Burn-Rev is). And where a lot of people might see this weekend's DC-Metro as being nothing more than two teams trying to get in form for the playoffs (and DC still trying to lock up the playoffs), I see a virtual must-win for DC (since they have no shot at the 2 seed if they lose), and a "really ought to win" for Metro (since they'd nearly lock it up if they won, especially if Chicage didn't win). Ditto SJ-Col, in the West.

I also note that in terms of a chance to win the championship, if there were no playoffs, only two games would be very meaningful this week, those involving Kansas City and Columbus (I haven't tried any calculations, but the rest of the league is 5 pts back of those two, or 4 pts and a game in hand, with only 3 to play. You might pass one team that way, but the odds of passing two have got to be pretty small). That means the Fire-DCU game that strikes me as pretty darn meaningful would be useless without a playoff.

On the other hand, note that "meaningfullness" of games would hardly change a whit (this year, and most seasons) if only 4 teams made the playoffs instead of 8. NE would be eliminated instead of "all-but-eliminated-with-virtually-no-chance-even-if-they-made-it."

--

We have a perception problem here. NFL fans tend to perceive seeding to be important. We don't. I think that's a bias on our part that probably comes from being used to no playoff leagues, and it's frightfully divorced from reality, in my view.

Maybe 4 of 10 would be better, as DC and SJ would percieve their games as the "must-wins" they basically are. The cost there, that NE-Dal is meaningless, might be worth the gain. (4 of 10 is also an NFL-like proportion of teams, which might have something to do with all of our perceptions).

But the real difference is not in the regular season, but in an almost wasted first round of the playoffs.

Regardless, any time we have this discussion about "meaningful" games, we ought to think more about what that word means than we do now.

--

Well, there's my theory. Take aim now. . .

Stan

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Couple ammendments here.

1. Actually, I think (without going into the math too deeply), Metro would actually clinch the #2 if they won this weekend.

2. The dynamics change after this week if you're going 4 of 10, a bunch of teams would be eliminated this week if the results broke wrong for them. Still, you're talking about teams being dead and, in the words of the Crow, being dead but not knowing it yet.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, sorry, too logical. Anyone who really knows soccer (and that can't be anyone who speaks English with an American accent. Unless it's a Lation-American accent, then you're fine) knows that no playoffs means every game counts, and that's how the rest of the world does it. Yes, even that pitched battle between the mid-table teams who have no chance of either being relegated or getting into "Europe". ;)

Seriously, well done. This should be a sticky at the top of the forum, or at least part of a "what subjects a newbie shouldn't bring up because we're sick to death of hearing about it" FAQ.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Couple other points I just thought of:

1. For anyone who says, "the higher seed only wins because theywee the better team," and not because they have the home field, remember the home team takes 62% of the points. Columbus has only taken 61% of theirs this year, meaning that if you took a hypothetical .500 team at home against CLB, the odds ever so slightly favor the .500 team. And CLB has the best record in the league from that perspective. [KC has taken 57% of the points in their matches]. And a relatively meager 4% difference is gonna be pretty common among close seeds. So you have to suspect that the home team factor is the bigger deal. Soccer has a lot of one-off results.

2. I don't know how the home and away thing will work out yet. Could dilute the results, but probably not completely, since the series tiebreaker is still at the higher seed's field.

Stan

5. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    One way you could look at it is that-

1) Playoffs don't really mean much since 15 out of 16 it was one of the top 2 (or 12 out of 16 the top 1).

2) Playoffs between 1&2 are fine.

3) Playoffs larger than 4 are "meaningless".

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's basically what I was getting at. Letting in 8 of 10 doesn't really dilute the regular season as much as it dilutes the first round of the playoffs. Basically, if you're a 3 or 4, all you get to do is say "we made the playoffs." Look at it carefully, and it's a hollow reward.

Since you support SLC, I should bring up another point. All of this changes a bit when you go to 12 teams, but we have had 12 teams before, and (notwithstanding the small sample size) the results weren't any different. 3 #1s, and 1 #2. (And in that case, it was the SJ Quakes, who played in the same division as the other finalist. Under the conference alignment, they could never have met in the Final.)

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Huh?? Letting 8 out of 10 teams doesnt dilute the regular season? Giving teams and players no incentive to win doesnt effect this league?? I am going to assume this is material and move on..

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to assume you didn't get the points presented in this thread and move on...

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Interesting, but relatively meaningless. You touch on it, but ignore the fact that a "3" seed could be the third best team or the 11th best team - depending on the number of teams and the divisional/seeding alignment.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Here's some more playoff stats:

Higher seed winning percentage:

Quarterfinals-78% (25 of 32)
    Semifinals-69% (11 of 16)
    MLS Cup-50% (4 of 8) (when seeds were even I used the regular season records)

Overall-71% (40 of 56)

By year:

96-4 of 7
    97-3 of 7
    98-5 of 7
    99-7 of 7
    00-6 of 7
    01-4 of 7
    02-5 of 7
    03-6 of 7

first 2 years-50% (7 of 14)
    last 6 years-79% (33 of 45)

I believe all of this is correct, haven't really double checked it.

11. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I think you are right, I reread this again and i am not completely sure what the point is. I suspect its some statistcal anomoly thats trying make the regular season seem like it has some meaning, but who knows.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    the one outlier is the anomaly. He's discussing a statistical trend.

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I guess you guys are right, the regular season is pretty meaningful then.. You can't argue with the numbers.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It would take a huge data set that we just don't have in order to prove it, but I suspect it doesn't matter. A three seed that was also the third best team in the league should still lose to the second seed (and bydefault second best team in the league) at a pretty high rate, if the general tendency to home field advantage holds. (And yes, with divisions, the outcome could easily theoretically be different, but it didn't happen to be the case when we had them).

Also, that difference is *usually* going to be pretty narrow. Last season, for instance, the second seeds (NE Revs and KC Wizards) had winning percentages of .550 and .517, respectively. The three seeds (Metro and CO Rapids) were .517 and .483.

The differences were both .033, or only 3 and change wins every hundred games. Pretty even matchup, if you ask me. And yet, who won? The two higher seeds. Both times. Just like they usually do. (That only has a 28% chance of happening if it was random, but I don't think it was, at least not entirely).*

I would have to suspect home field (and therefore the value of seeding) is reduced with the home and away. But we have only one year of data for it, and the higer seeds went 4 for 4 last year.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scaryice,

Good data. Notice the huge difference between the playoff rounds where there *is* a home field advantage, and the Cup Final where there *isn't* (except on accident). Last year, the only game that wasn't won by the higher seed in the playoffs was the neutral-site Final. When you throw the Final out, the percentage goes to 75%.

At 25%, the odds of winning two series in a row as a lower seed are supposed to be 6.25%. And how often has it actually happened? 6% of the time. Could be pure coincidence, but it's exactly what the model would predict.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom Line: Seeding Matters. A lot more than most BS people (and most soccer fans, I think) believe it does.

* - That's a crude calculation. If the difference in winnning percentages is .033, then it was assumed the better record team has a .533 percent chance of winning a given game, assuming neutral turf and that somebody had to win. That would mean a .284 chance of it happening twice in a row.

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    One question then. If these numbers crunch out, which I suspect they do, then why do so many of us see the regular season as basically an exercise in exhibition and uninteresting? How can a 1000 bigsoccer posters be wrong!

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a wise man said in Jimmy Conrad's latest column on SI.com, "All of you people on BigSoccer.com are idiots."

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Indeed. When I tried to tell them in the statistics forum that what they were discussing was closer to numerology than math, they weren't offended.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sokath, his eyes uncovered!

19. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I've enjoyed the analysis here, but I'm still going to lay out what the Stats & Analysis folk call "a colonoscopy with a scanning tunneling microscope," and what Andy Mead calls "numerology" when he's trolling.

The above argument suggests that -- in a one-off game -- home field advantage might be enough to nullify strength. It has cracks in it, however. Instead of looking at the Crew's 61% -- we don't have 2004 playoff data -- I'll focus on the 2003 Quakes, who won 63% of regular season points.

1. Motivation

The Quakes' percentage includes several games when, for instance, Ronnie Ekelund could've played but was resting up. More dramatically, it includes several games they tanked at the end of the season. If you discount their last four regular season games, their point percentage increases to 69%.

2. Call-Ups

Due primarily to national team call-ups, Landon Donovan started only 21 out of 30 regular season games in 2003; Richard Mulrooney started only 25; Pat Onstad started 27. This, too, can make a big difference ... if you omit just the three games Onstad missed, the Quakes won 68.5% of the points. (And because they were a good team, the Quakes were disproportionately affected by call-ups.)

If you discount the Quakes' final four regular season games and their two additional games without Pat Onstad, they won 75% of all regular season points. This suggests that in 2003, their true team strength was actually a much bigger factor than home field advantage.

Note that these same two arguments could also be applied to the 2003 Fire, who won 65% of possible points even though they Spiteri-ed away their last game and played a big chunk of the season without Bocanegra or Beasley (among others).

In summary:
    I've enjoyed seeing the evidence that higher seeds have a good track record; however, preliminary evidence suggests that strength, not seeding, might be the dominant factor at work. There's probably more to say on this point.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Numerista, That's some good stuff. I will take modest debate, going from the small points to the big point.

Small points:

1. Maybe we're doing our math a different way. I've got San Jose's 2003 record at .616. But we'll go with yours in case I'm wrong.

2. I think you're partially right that in a mythical 'every game at full strength, every game counts for seeding' world, the quakes season winning percentage might have been higher.

But the argument can be made that you're removing the Quakes' worst games retroactively, and that will always flatter the argument a little. Some of that could have been taking the foot off th gas, and some of it could have been that they were were just cold that night.

3. You noted that other teams face callups as well. And though it's probably likely that on average, the higher ranked teams face more callups, it's still quite possible that the Quakes faced a team or two that, on a given night, had *their* difference-maker unavailable.

So while I think an adjustment up from .63 is likely, .75 should be overdoing it. By how much, unfortunately, is just about anyone's guess.

The bigger point:

Given just about any revision upward, though, I think I should concede your argument that the 'better team' factor might outweigh the 'home field' factor in some playoff series. (After all, a 4 seed in a 5 team conference is usually going to have a sub-.500 record).

The Earthquakes were a 1 seed, perhaps even a more dominant 1 seed than usual. Certainly, their record was better than either of the 1s were this year ('at press time'). They faced a 4 seed with a pretty solid 'better team' advantage and a some kind of home field advantage (how much the home field means in the head to ehad is still subject to speculation, I think, but SJ did get the OT at home, and they did score in it).

In the second round, they faced KC, with a (by my math) .516 record. That's a .11 difference (or .10, by my accounting), or slightly less than the home field.

What I'm getting at here is that if the 2003 SJ Quakes had a series where 'better team' was more of a factor than 'home field', that's certainly not representative of all playoff series. And if on certain occasions better team is a bigger deal than home field, it would perhaps weaken, but certainly not destroy my point. If one says better team might have even slightly more important, it's far, far away from saying home field didn't help.

It shouldn't, to my mind, explain the size of the dropoff between the chances of one seeds and two seeds, and really shouldn't explain the dropoff between those of 2 seeds and 3 seeds, who will often have close, and sometimes even identical (except for the tiebreakers) records.

And further, the two factors, whatever their relative importance, are in our playoff system acting in concert. If you think another team is better than you, you probably want to avoid that team in the playoffs as long as you can, but you *definitely* don't want to be playing said better team on the road.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    crusio,

A lot of what's presented as "common sense" is really just groupthink.

22. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Excellent discussion, Stan.

Ah ... that's their win percentage. I was actually computing a "percentage of points," which alters the numbers but not the conclusions.

That's a valuable point ... my analysis used the fact that the 2003 Quakes did badly without Onstad; this year, however, they've actually done slightly better with Conway in goal. Even so, there are strong indications that Landon Donovan has picked things up in the playoffs.

On the flip-side, here's a related idea which is particularly important in 2004: even if all teams are roughly equal in strength, there will be a fair amount of variation in their records. As a consequence, we tend to observe differences in record that are bigger than the true differences in strength, and sometimes even in the opposite direction.

One other thought regarding the current playoff set-up:
    Round One Seeding provides a minimal home field advantage but possibly a larger one in of terms which opponent you face. (In 2004, though, choice of opponent might not be a big issue.)

Round Two Seeding provides a considerable home field advantage but no real advantage in terms of which opponent you face (determined by division).

MLS has several options that would make the regular season standings more important. The obvious one is reducing the number of teams in the playoffs, but they could also eliminate the use of divisions in the playoffs and ensure that the higher seed has a bigger homefield advantage in round one (e.g. by playing a one-off home game).

23. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    AND "Common Sense" or "Group Think" are only as good as half the IQ of the weakest link...

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    My personal preference was always using 6 teams in the playoffs, forcing the 2 and 3 to play each other and giving 1 a bye to rest up for the winner.

In writing this thread, I was going to say something like, "You could invite all ten teams to the playoffs and still have a meaningful regular season, as long as you stacked the deck enough against the lower seeds."

And I think it's true. If you went with a playoff structure of 5 vs 4, winner vs 3, winner versus 2, winner versus 1, single elimination, at the home of the higher seed, with two non gamedays in between each gameday, I think you'd have it. Not that I'm suggesting that (don't think you could sell the tickets), but I haven't yet met the 5 seed I thought had any chance in hell of winning 4 in a row on the road in 10 days (and any team that did might have earned it in my eyes). That's the "Diggstown" scenario applied to soccer.

25. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Unlike most playoff systems, this one offers the distinct advantage of allowing you to schedule every playoff date and location in advance. Still, I agree that it isn't marketable ... in the playoffs, you want the best teams to play, not sit around waiting.