Message for readers, fans

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by stevengoff, Jul 3, 2004.

1. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Hey, folks, just wanted to let you know that, barring extraordinary circumstances, this will be my final post on bigsoccer.

As much as I enjoy passing along breaking news, getting involved in spirited futbol debates and debunking various media-fueled myths, I no longer think this is the proper forum for a reporter to comment.

Having said that, I do not want to end my dialogue with the fans. So PLEASE e-mail me or call me whenever you have a question or comment and I'll try to respond as quickly as possible. (Maybe one of these days I'll start my own blog!)

Peace,
    SG

goffs@washpost.com
    202-334-6725

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'll miss your breaking stories here, but I'll catch you on the print side.

Not sure I understand why you won't post here (i.e., what is the confilict?).

GM

3. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    You've become our most reliable source for information, and I look forward to reading more of your articles. Thank you for all your work.

4. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh-Oh, I wonder if dissing a fellow reporter on BS didn't go over too well with the bosses? :(

If it helps, let them know I only buy the Post to read the soccer articles. ;)

5. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please continue to lurk, even if you won't post (not even in FFA?) Tell management that you're keeping your keypad on the pulse of the internet nuts.

And thank you for all the good service. I have really enjoyed your professionalism.

Vios con Dios y volvar con cerveza.

6. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I was just commenting with friends today how extraordiarily cool it was to have a major newspaper sports writer that covered our beloved United, who was open minded enough, down to earth enough, in touch enough, and cool enough to actually post on the team for which he writes message boards.

Oh well, I guess all good things must come to and end. But please, keep lurking and reading. And if you can....ahhhh you know what I was going to say.

Thank you so much for all the great work, and interacting with us here on BS! We appreciate it more than you know!

Ken.

7. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    Thank You for educating all of us with your news :)

I too only buy the post because of the soccer articles

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Sorry to see you leave, but I just read the thread that I think led up to this decision.

9. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Well, it's been a hell of a ride. Thank you for all that you've done. You, sir, are a true American hero. I know that we'll all continue looking forward to your insightful/informative articles.

10. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike,

What thread was that?

11. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are kidding right?

Just in case you really arent... here it is....

above referenced thread.....

12. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to see you go, but I understand your decision.

I appreciate your work.

Thanks, and see you around.

13. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    If it is your decision, it seems to me a more sensible alternative would be to continue posting but refrain from commenting on other reporter's stories.

14. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve,

Best wishes for future success and as I think this is probably your decision based on your post, let me add for what it's worth that I think you are doing the right thing.

Cheers,
    Ed

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Keep up the excellent work.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Steve, I admire your work and count on you for the latest word on my favorite team. And I"m sorry it's come to this--your presence added a lot of value the discussion on BS. Whether it was you providing details on the latest trialists, thoughts on where the organization was headed or even debunking vicious rumors (the nonsense about Santino Quaranta last offseason comes to mind), you provided insights we weren't getting anywhere else.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to have dragged you into our squabbles Steven. Please do feel free to lurk around and we'll see ya in the paper.

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven,

Thanks for all the great writing. You are a true professional - I don't know of a higher compliment I can pay (otherwise I'd put it here).

Cheers!

19. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Say it ain't so, Steve!

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Man, this is truly unfortunate but I understand the decision. Like someone mentioned earlier, I hope you can still come around here every now and then if only to disprove some assinine rumors we come up with here on BigSoccer.

As always, looking forward to your work in the Washington Post.

21. go_otrova

go_otrova New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Palatine
    Relax. Just come back with a new nickname. We don't need you as S.G., as we need you as you. It matters building up or sharing the opinion, the enlightment of somebody perhaps closer to the fountain of the truth. I never thought that it is wyse for a public man sign in a board with his own name. There can always be somebody with an encountered opinion putting you in ridicule.
    That's said. Sorry for the mispelled words, but you got the idea, right?

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are sock puppets. hint, hint.

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    No, I'm not kidding. I read that thread and as far as I'm concerned the people who are critical of the reporting Goff does for United are idiots.

After skimming through that thread, I will never click on a link to a United article in the Times again.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree in theory, when people bring up Steve's credibility from time-to-time, it's kind of hard to post and not respond when you're challenged like he is by some.

See ya around, Steve.

25. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't see what all the squabble is about. Mr Goff may have a fine point, but in this day and age, how often do we see someone in the position to make such a point with such a high degree of credibility??

Let's not forget how journalist's regard their beats, folks- walk into a news office and mutter something involving the work scoop, and see what happens.

If the Times' reporters are trying to increase readership through "sensationalizing" the tidbits we get on our team, I'm all for ANY credible reporter calling them on it.

I was ready to tar and feather the author of a report on the internet last season, involving Marco's situation. The author had blatantly ommitted to flesh out his reasoning in jumping to his last conclusion in his article, which to me seemed an obvious lack of adherence to the first rule of journalism (which most are introduced to when they write their first friggin book report!!!), namely cover the who, what, where, when, why, and how of the story. IIRC, he had omitted to reveal how he came about concluding whether Marco would be involved in the match that particular week.

Journalists should hold themselves exempt from creative liscense- it's the Pulitzer you should be aiming at, not the NY Times Bestseller list!!!!

Rock on Steven Goff. I for one, think your comments should afford no level of censure, given your history of being not only relevant, but valid.
    I'll be glad to see you continue to show 'em how it's done, whatever forum you choose, especially after the lengths your reporting has gone to to earn our trust.(Yet ANOTHER principle more out there could do well to emulate, whatever rag they work for!!)