2010-11 NBA Off-season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Hendrixforpope, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Post-Finals

Free agency

Draft

Etc.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I can honestly say that I no longer care about the Summer of LeBron. Frankly, the amount of coverage it has gotten even as the play-offs were still going on was disrespectful to the players and teams still fighting for a championship.

I am curious about what is to happen in Beantown now. Doc likely gone. Jesus Shuttlesworth probably as well. Rondo to become the undisputed floor leader for next season? Will they really get in Kevin McHale as the new coach? How will they fare without their defensive mastermind Thibodeau? Does KG have another season left in the tank? Does Sheed return?

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm already bored of the LeBron - Wade - Bosh etc etc etc business.

Thank God for the world cup..

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Amen.

5. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cousins and Whiteside....^_^

I'm absolutely thrilled with out draft picks. I'm shocked Whiteside slid this much. He could be this years Blair.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Cousins and Evans could make a very exciting duo.

Assuming that Cousins isn't as insane as advertised.

7. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup. We could have the ROY 2 years in a row if this guy keeps his head right. Judging by his interview last night he seems to be a complete donut-head. :D

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So the Bulls now will have enough cap room for Bosh + LeBron and then can go get Joe Johnson from Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal that sends Luol Deng back there.

Rose-Johnson-LeBron-Bosh-Noah

That starting five wins the East without ever needing to shift into fourth gear.

Actually they don't even need Johnson, they just need to turn Deng into any guy who can hit the open mid-to-long-range jumper.

9. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So the big day has arrived. July 1st! Already the Hawks have a 6 year $119mil offer to Joe Johnson. To me that is waaaay to much for a guy who couldn't do shit in the playoffs. Good player but to me not worth almost $20mil a year.

Talk is that LBJ will make a decision by July 5th.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Part of me wants Bosh and Lebron to go to Miami - just to see how they would play with Wade. But I'm in the - just get it over already camp. I have to listen to this everyday on talk radio in NYC.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It'll never work. Two of the three guys on that superteam need the ball in their hands to be effective. If you want to create a workable superteam, one of your three max guys has to be a shooter.
    Wade-Bosh-Dirk would work.

Bosh is really in an interesting situation. He's the only guy who would fit into nearly every scenario in terms of teams with (lots of) cap space.
    Not just the Chicago/New York/Miami stuff either. There's also Houston. A sign-and-trade that sends him to the Lakers and Bynum to Toronto.

12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't agree - Pippen and Jordan were primarily slashers in the beginning and Jordan could score in Buckets like Wade, and Pippen got his points on the break and slashing to the basket like Lebron. I'm not saying it would definitely work because both are dominant on the ball, but they could probably find a Steve Kerr type shooter if they don't already have one. The Showtime Lakers also didn't have a super star shooter - they filled that part with more role players. Same with the Hakeem Rockets.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My point is that for it to work one of 'em would have to be willing to fill the Pippen role. Are you saying that LeBron would be willing to do that?

Dirk, especially at this stage of his career, would probably welcome becoming the n°2 guy. And his game is such that it would hardly get in the way of what both LeBron and Wade are good at.

Of course this is all strictly theoretical, since there is no way Dirk is leaving Dallas.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - I would definitely agree it's a question mark whether there is enough ball to go around on that team, but I also think it's a mistake to assume that just because it doesn't fit the mold of previous championship teams it won't work. There are similarities between Pippen and Lebron - they put up some similar rebounding and assists numbers - and if some of the scoring burden is off of Lebron, it might make him a better player. His teams fall apart when he starts trying to score every time and he isn't as clutch as Wade is. Both guys might benefit from not having to do it all for their team. Wade would have more energy for scoring if he didn't have to play point a lot, and Lebron would have to give up some of his scoring, but that's a good thing if he isn't trying to come up with forced drives all the time.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well it would mean that at least one of them (but probably both) would be willing to give up being "The Guy" every night. People point to the Boston Celtics trio of Pierce, Garnett and Allen being able to do that just fine, but they forget that all three were much further along their respective career arcs. I very much doubt that would have worked as well in say, 2004.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't buy it really - Lebron seems capable to me of deferring to others. And Wade is at a point where he's won a ring and is probably willing to do less on a winning team that has a shot at the title, and Lebron is at the stage of doing anything it takes to win his first - including taking fewer shots.

Did you ever see Pippen and Jordan Bulls live? Those guys just destroyed teams with confidence - you knew and they knew they could turn it on and put teams away at will. I know Pippen deferred to Jordan for a lot of scoring, but I'm not sure he viewed himself as Robin the way the fans and media do. They both had supreme confidence and it passed on to their team.

I guess my question is - is there a precedent we can point to of such megastars playing together? I can't really think of anything at least since I've been watching. The Lakers had stars, but nothing like a Magic and Jordan playing together. That's part of the reason I'm interested in what would happen. You may be right that it would flop, but I'm inclined to think they could make it work.

And those Celtics also had the advantage of meshing really well. Ray Allen never really made sense as "the guy" and is a perfect compliment to the other two - and Kevin Garnett is not the type of player to go primadonna either. The only one who you could convince me needed maturing is Pierce - he might have wrecked the chemistry early on in his career.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not arguing it absolutely could not work.

I'm simply saying that there is no guarantee that it'll be the superteam it looks to be on paper.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Steve Blake to the Lakers, four years, sixteen million. Fantastic signing for them. Great fit for the triangle.

19. jwa254

jwa254 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Just looking at the current scenarios that could come out of the FA, more than likely the big names will be spread amongst the Eastern Conference. I don't see what good this will really do in the end. For instance, if LeBron, Stoude, and Johnson played for the Knicks and Heat had Wade and Bosh, the two teams would be highly competetive proving for entertaining games amongst the two but I don't see those teams having that greater of a chance at a 'ship than teams already in existence in the East. As much as I dislike the Lakers, they're insanely stacked in all the right places and that's something an Eastern Conference team will need as well.

20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Lakers make a move early and sign Steve Blake. Four year 16M deal. Insurance if Fish decides not to sign. He wants 2 year 10M. He's being offered 2 years but at way less dollars. He made 5M last year.

Not many decent free agent PGs out there.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Stoudemire really is abig upgrade from David Lee? Can't say I get that move

22. jwa254

jwa254 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    As a Suns fan, I'm not too sure why Stoudemire moved. Nash is the main reason for all of his success because of the pick and roll system.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's called Shawn-Marion-itis.

24. BellyToBelly

BellyToBelly Red Card

Jul 4, 2010
    queens, ny
    If Lebron doesn't come to New York I'll be pissed but also perplexed....can someone please explain to me why he wouldn't come here?

Does he realize no one knows who he is outside of basketball fans? The NBA finals he was in with the cavs got the lowest ratings in 40 years.
    He could build a dynasty in New York and be world famous.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Sign-and-trade deal that would send Bosh to the Cavs now seems a possibility. Interesting!

If that happens I can see Wade going to Chicago after all. No way he's going through another season without any sort of help.