TV and Radio Schedule & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Força Sporting, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just a quick update on the TV situation for the Liga Sagres 2009/10...

Fans in the US can continue to watch games on SPT. Similar to last season, derby and classico matches involving Sporting, Benfica and FC Porto WILL NOT be shown live to residential clients. These 6 matches will be shown on a taped-delay basis on both SPT and RTPi. I also believe that there is a scaling down of matches on SPT - for example, SPT will be sticking with the bigger clubs and matches that are shown in Portugal like a Nacional x Leixoes will more than likely not be shown here at all. Therefore, it'll be status quo this coming season.

Canadians are being handed the shaft for a consecutive season - the Liga Sagres 09/10 season WILL NOT be shown residentially at all on any cable or satellite carrier. Matches will be aired in bars and pubs only. The only Canadians that will have residential access to these games are the ones with SPT in their homes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but don't shoot the messenger (even though some of you may be waiting in line for a chance). Keep the discussion on this topic clean - no talk of satellite piracy will be allowed and any discussion on the matter will be swiftly dealt with (I still do have my mod powers and will use them if need be).

FS

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am confused, what happened to us last year?

3. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Portugal vs Angola
    Jogos da Lusofonia (Sub-21)
    Saturday, July 18th 2009
    14:15 pm Portuguese time RTP
    9:15 am Eastern time RTPi

[​IMG]

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Benfica - Atletico on RTP today ?

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. But there are decent stream available now. This should be a good test for the team.

6. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    No preseason action on RTPi yet. Bummer.

I have Comcast in the USA. Is there a way to get a station with more games?

7. DV1882

DV1882 Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I glad I got my buddy a SlingHD box in Lisboa, he set it up to his Meo HD box. I get the SLB games in HD from Benfica TV for now and he get all the US channels for my Slingbox no need for the slow laggy online streams.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You serious?! How does that work exactly!

P.S: Benfica Tv doesn't have the rights to the regular season games or the UEFA games does it?

9. DV1882

DV1882 Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Slingbox is the best but for only 1 connection to it at a time, Ive used it all over the place traveling and even on my phone.

I think they will have UEFA, no regular season for a few more years.

I heard if Benfica leaves after the Liga tv is done they can only do thier homes, since other teams will want tv right money for the Benfica away games but dont know how true this is.

10. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    ESPN secures more football TV rights

Tuesday, July 28 2009, 2:37pm EDT
    By Andrew Laughlin, Technology Reporter

ESPN has secured TV rights to show football from the German, Russian, Portuguese and Dutch top divisions, alongside the remainder of the US Major League Soccer season.

Coverage from the four leagues for 2009/10 - and the rest of the MLS action up to November - will be shown on the firm's forthcoming ESPN channel, along with its English Premier League and Scottish Premier League matches.

The station will officially launch on August 3 in standard definition and high definition at 417 and 443 respectively on Sky's EPG.

Ahead of this, the Disney-owned network has agreed a multi-year deal with Germany's Bundesliga for five live games per week, including a "selection of HD matches, plus weekly preview and highlight packages".

It has also negotiated a UK and Ireland exclusive deal with the Portuguese Liga and an arrangement with IMG for two Dutch games per week from the Eredivisie, as well as full live coverage from the Russian Premier League.

The MLS coverage will include five playoff games to the end of the season, alongside action from the MLS Cup championship and ten matches featuring David Beckham's LA Galaxy, starting with their tie against New England on August 8 at 11pm.

To mark ESPN's opening weekend, the channel will show the Italian SuperCup between Seria A champions Inter Milan and Coppa Italia winners Lazio, with live coverage from The Bird's Nest stadium in Beijing, starting at 1pm on August 8.

Alongside this, the station will show pre-season friendly games from Real Madrid's tour of North America - including live matches against Toronto FC on August 7 and DC United on August 9 - as well as Benfica's warm-up match against AC Milan on August 8 and Tottenham Hotspur's contest against Olympiakos on August 9.

ESPN EMEA vice president of TV channels Jereon Oerlemans said: "We are delighted to bring viewers in the UK and Ireland access to a further lineup of some of the world's finest footballers and top clubs.

"We feel these deals represent an excellent addition to ESPN as we look to build the channel with great local and international sports."

The broadcaster also plans to "make its new live sports coverage widely available across multiple pay-TV platforms", including carriage negotiations already being underway with Virgin Media and BT Vision.

11. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Its great that ESPN will be getting access to Portuguese league games but it wont be aired in North America, just the UK & Ireland.
    Hopefully in the future it will be aired in North America.

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Second half of last season ESPN360 carried 1 game a week, mostly Benfica including the Porto-Benfica match.

So I'm hoping they'll do the same or better this year.

I stream it from my laptop to the TV, and get better quality then SPT.

People should really start boycotting SPT, their a bunch of thieves.

13. DV1882

DV1882 Member

Dec 2, 2006
    ESPN360 will have the Portuguese league again this season, they had it last year too the whole season. They used the SportTV feed which was HD sometimes and just use engilsh play by play.

14. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Liechtenstein vs Portugal
    International Friendly
    Wednesday, August 12th 2009
    19:00 pm Portuguese time TVI
    02:00 pm Eastern time RTPi

[​IMG]

15. nigel_miguel

nigel_miguel New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I've checked RTP's website for the America's guide and the game does not seem to be on. Are you guys sure it's going to be on?

16. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    The guide is almost never up to date.
    I have seen commercials on RTPi throughout the week stating they will be airing the game. If I post it....belive it :D

Enjoy the game bud!

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah RTPi is a mess, it most likely on...if its not watch it on a stream. Some very good quality out these days.

18. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Update...game will be at 02:30 pm eastern time.​

[​IMG]

19. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Any word on the RTPi line up for Liga games this weekend? While watching the NT game on Wednesday, I'm pretty sure the annoncer said the Sporting game would be on "differido". I didn't hear anything about Sunday.

I agree. The RTPi schedule updates are non-existant. Why is it so hard?

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, have you ever been to Portugal? They are just following with the cultural customs..lol

21. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Easy.
    Just look at the Record schedule in the middle of their page.

The - game is on RTPI, the * are on SportTV.

22. DV1882

DV1882 Member

Dec 2, 2006
    ESPN360 had the Porto and Sporting games this weekend for thoses without SPT or RTP in your area.

23. Sporting#1

Sporting#1 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Can you get Espn360 in canada ???

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nope. It sucks.

25. Sporting#1

Sporting#1 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Not surprised, we always get the shaft when it comes to watching Portuguese soccer in Canada !!!