TFC will return to Charleston for preseason tourney.

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TFCMANU, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TFCMANU

TFCMANU Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Parkdale/Newmarket
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Battery Web Site:http://charlestonbattery.com/news.asp?y=2008&page=1&id=344

The 2008 edition of the Carolina Challenge Cup will take place at Blackbaud Stadium March 15, 19 & 22, 2008. Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls, Toronto FC and expansion MLS outfit the San Jose Earthquakes will join the USL First Division Charleston Battery for the premier annual US pre-season soccer tournament. This is the fifth consecutive year for the Carolina Challenge Cup.

All three MLS teams will spend the week in Charleston, training between the games as they prepare for the start of the MLS season.

The competition format will remain unchanged in 2008 with three matchday’s each featuring a double-header. The games will be played on Saturday (March 15) – Wednesday (March 19) – Saturday (March 22), with each team playing the other in a round-robin tournament.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Patch Boys are already in the advance planning of this trip. I think about 10-12 are coming down for the entire week. If anyone has any questions or are thinking about coming down, let us know if we can help out.

Mikey

4. T.Reds

T.Reds New Member

May 18, 2007
    Toronto
    Even for preseason RPB wont rest...
    I like their enthusiasm.

5. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this happens during our March school break. Might be nice to pack up the wife and kids to head to sunny Charleston to watch the mighty TFC play.

Love more details Mikey, re hotels etc, if you wouldn't mind?:D

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Can I assume that like last year, all the games will be broadcast via the Charleston Battery website? It was kinda nice getting an advance look at the team last year.

7. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very good little competition to be a part of and I thought last year it was fun to be a part of.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a link in my signature "Visiting charleston?..." that is a good place to start. Im sure you can find a beach house or a weekly rental that is more the size you are looking for and it will probaly end up cheaper (and more confortable) than a hotel for a week. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-carolina/charleston-area is a website that you might want to look at. the Isle of Palms, Folly beach and Sullivan's Island are all on the ocean and with 15-30 min from the stadium (Folly is the furthest). Mt. Pleasant and Charleston are further inland with Mt. Pleasent being 5-10 from the stadium. The water will be a little cold but the weather should be great to hang out on the beach during that time.

We Battery supporters are organizing a couple tailgates that everyone is invited to, no drama, just free beer and the chance to watch some live soccer after a long winter break. We'd love to have you join us and the other visiting fans if you make it down.

mikey

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would think that the Battery games at a minumum wouldl be broadcasted. Not sure about the game that dont include the battery.

10. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If memory serves, all the CCC games were webcasted last year, and they should be again at the Battery's website. ArteEtLabore got it right here.

I was surprised Houston wasn't in the field for this year. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE? :D

11. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Houston would have been in it, but they will be busy with the CONCACAF Champions league at the time.

As for the games last year, I know the TFC games vs RBNY and charleston were televised, but I don't think the game vs Houston was.

12. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Healthy Toronto squad should win this tournament.

13. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

True, but given that it is pre-season, you'll likely get teams playing a lot more of their bench than they normally would. You might see, for example, TFC playing more subs but SJ playing its full starting lineup. I hope though that all 4 teams take the tournament seriously and play good strong lineups.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right both Houston and DC wanted to play this season but the other tourney conflicted.
    http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jan/09/mls_trio_coming_town_march26987/

Ill see what I can find out about webcast but I know its tough for our announcer to do both gmaes as he is alos the PR guy and does teh game reports plus a lot of match day preperations.

mikey

15. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Thanks for checking. I see to recall that they had different people doing the PBP for the 8:15 games than they did for the 6:00 games when they covered both games in the same day. But that could just be my memory.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your right. I vaguely remember an Intern that caught alot of stick for his announcing during one of the matches. In his defense he had no broadcast experience and quite frankly, our annoucer is pretty good. hes done a few matches on Fox Soccer Channel so he had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Mikey

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like our local soccer friendly pub The Madra Rua Pub will be opeing up early on Mar 22 for the 8AM kickoff between Liverpool and Man U and will be showing the match that follows as well, Chelsea v. Arsenal

And we are planning the menu for the Tailgate on Mar 15 Right now it looks like we will have some Frogmore Stew and maybe a bit of Shrimp and Grits and some Boiled Peanuts.

Of course we will be washing it down with some Free Beer thanks to Mobius plus who know what else will show up!

18. NCTorontoFan

NCTorontoFan New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So jealous. Thought the week was over the kids spring break but alas no. Thats as close as TFC will ever come to Charlotte...lol!

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prehaps the kids need to do a "study abroad" charleston is full of history, from one of the first settlements in North America, to the Revolutionary War, the Civil War (or the war of northern aggresion) to the Pirate history, culinary history, handcrafts (sweetgrass baskets)

Oh and by the way lets take a quick break and go to some soccer games;)

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoke to the Front office yesterday about buying tickets for this tourney.

They are in the process of changing over to a new ticket system and are having trouble iwth one aspect of it, Once they get it up, you will be able to buy your tickets and print them out directly from the Battery website similar to etix. this is a huge time saving messure for limited manpower in the front office, taking awaythe need to coordinating tickets and mail, not to mention hopefully it will save a lot of will call pickups on game day,

short of it is they hope to have it up sometime next week and if they can't they might just do it the old fashion way until they can get the bugs worked out.

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SoccerCityFC

SoccerCityFC Member

Dec 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Mickey,

Three quick questions.

1) Where is the best seat? West Box?
    2) Do you need to be a member to get into the Three Lions?
    3) Any plans of a tailgate for Saturday the 22nd?

Thank you kindly.

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For seating, the best seats I guess woul be considered the west box. Mainly because your mid field and the sun would be behind you. But for the most part, you can move anywhere in the stadium once he match starts. Seating isnt enforced unless someone complains that you are in there seat. I know most of the RPB are getting a block of seats in E1

You can buy a single game entrance to the pub. (contact Amy Plebanek
    amy.plebanek@charlestonbattery.com
    843-971-GOAL x206
    and tell her you re coming in for the match from out of town and want to buy a single pub pass) The RBP are getting pub passes for the week for $20) I would recomend doing it. there is some many cool things up there if you are a soccer fan, it is worth it. They usually only check adults and older teens for pub passes.

finally we will be tailgating on Satuday, but not to the extent of the first Sat. well probally just have some hot dogs or some thing with some beer. the first sat we are planning a big lowcountry feast (see above). Also Saturday morning if your intrested, a local pub will be showing the man u/liverpool matc at 8pm followed by the chesea/ Arsenal match and I think quite a few peple will be there.

Mikey

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the EPL Schedule the Liverpool ManU and the Arsenal Chelsea matches are on sunday the 23rd. I dont know if that is a change or if I just looked at the schedule wrong. Either way the Madra Rua will be open for the match.

they will be showing what ever match is on Sat morning on Setana or Fox Soccer Channel

25. Cujo

Cujo New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Damn. I'm gonna miss the tourney by 2 weeks! I have to head down to South Carolina for work at the end of February and I've been unsuccessful at arranging the trip for the week of the tournament. :(