Official : Christian Gomez To Colorado Rapids

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by teddy_montoya, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A MLS insider earlier today contacted me about the Rapids and DC making a deal for Christian Gomez. They mentioned that the deal is almost finialized, that it is waiting league approval and some paper work to be finished. No mention on the specifics with the deal.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can say that this is not another Crespo thread :D. Though this would count as one of the two S. Americans coming to the Rapids. I also got information about the Yank. But in order to be accurate on this rumor we need to do our research. Is there any Americans playing in Chile?

2. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Rumor:C. Gomez to the Rapids...

Luchi Gonzalez?

3. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While Gomez would be a very welcomed addition to the Rapids side, what in the world do the Rapids have to trade for him. Certainly no player or players needed nor wanted by DC. Has the dialogue in DC become so heated that they are willing to trade him for future considerations, picks or allocation money?

Hope that you are right!

Also, Marcelo Salas is Chilean. He was rumored to be coming to MLS a couple of years ago.

4. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know about the dialogue. But I think C. Gomez would be perfect for a year or two here in Colorado. We would (if we keep Pablo, which from what I have heard we are) be a solid defensive team, with a solid A-Mid.

This trade would allow us to attack more and give us a lot of options in terms of what we can do with Ballouchy and several other players.

Roster w/ current info on Rumor(bold is a new player):

----------------Bouna--------------
    Burciaga-----Petke-----Erpen-----Ugo
    Pablo
    Cooke--------------------------Clark
    Christian Gomez
    Herculez---------Kirvoski​

5. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

I doubt they'd refuse Pablo, Cooke, Clark and/or Ugo. Hell, even Bouna's a possibility, since DC just lost Perkins to Norway. Not that the Rapids are going to trade any of them, but it's not like our team is completely devoid of talent that the rest of the league could want.

And who knows, too - we shipped off Beckerman last season after all of us thought he was untouchable, and sent him packing for 60 cents on the dollar (Ballouchy).

6. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Steven Goff:

I am still going through his archives. But I remember him reporting that the Rapids were one of the clubs intristed on getting Gomez...

7. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont

Ejecting old shell casings, DC reloads.
    The Rapids preparing for another year of shooting blanks, scourer the ground for left overs.

8. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This has the potential to be a good deal for both teams. DC needs wingers and the rapids have cooke and clark who are very talented players. DC get's depth on the wing which allows fred to slide inside to his natural position of CAM. Colorado get's a best XI player and still one of the best creative players in the league.

IMO there is no way this deal happens without colorado giving up cooke or clark. Can either of them play both sides?

9. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They wouldn't need to trade anybody. It would be considered a signing. He is a free agent, and both parties cant come to a solution on a contract...

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Under MLS's odd rules, he's only a free agent if DC waived him. Snack signing with NY last week was one of the first "true" free agent moves in MLS. I believe, since Gomez wasn't waived by DC. they still hold his MLS rights.

11. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this were to take place I might possibly have to sort of almost get excited about this team again. Damn you FFC!

12. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but we can negotiate his rights over. Im used to those terms, I meant he is aviable for transfer....

13. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DC alone has the right to negotiate with him right now. DCU can give those rights to any other MLS team, but for that to happen their would need to be compensation and thus it would take the form of a "trade".

14. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder then who the Rapids will trade for him. Maybe a SI slot, or something. My insider wasn't specific on the details so as of now, the rumor is dull...

15. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The YANK from Chile:

As someone mentioned in the Rapids Starting XI thread. A guy named Chase Hilgenbrinck has signed on. He is the NAT coming in to compete for the Left side of the field. Maybe this opens up the move to send our current LM to DC for Gomez. Here is some info and youtube video of him....

[youtube]rAiWEYStxlI[/youtube]
    [youtube]swIIDJs-UOs[/youtube]

College bio
    YanksAbroad
    Nublense

16. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course, you are kidding or simply deluding yourself. Aside from Mastroeni the Rapids have no players any other team wants.

Moreover, for Gomez, 2006 MLS MVP, only a irreversible breakdown in communications with his club gets him to the Rapids. Then, if things are bad enough, Rapids may get him for a song.

17. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So we're going to trade either Clark a young left sided player who bring pace to our attack and was one of the few bright spots at seasons end, or Cooke a veteran who actually had success doing what he was supposed to..... for a defender who went undrafted by MLS but must be good now, because he went abroad? This makes sense.

18. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMO there is not one player aside from Bouna anyone would want. Possibly Cooke, or Clark. But after is all said and done, some of our best players are par with other teams decent players.

So far we have one S. American off the list:

C. Gomez

And the Yank I was told about:

Chase Hilgenbrinck

So one more player yet to be determined. Now I know nothing is official, but things are almost final as far as I know...

We don't know yet who we are going to trade off. It could be Clark, or Cooke. Maybe even Ballouchy, who knows. Point is, with the potential Gomez trade, we are already better than all of last year. I can see us being better.

DAMN YOU FC!!!

19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

No kidding or delusions. Take a look over at the DC boards, and you'll see many of them fairly satisfied that, if Gomez has no desire to resign with DC, getting Cooke out of the Rapids would be a shrewd move. DC's lacked quality wingers for a couple seasons now (with Olsen and Fred both playing admirably well out of position last year, and neither getting younger). Clark, in many people's eyes, is just behind Stuart Holden on the list of up-and-coming leftwings in this league (and if he isn't desired by other teams, why did KC request he be included in the trade package for Victorine that was nixed at the last minute?). And as I just said, DC at the moment has Jay Nolly or Zach Wells slotted as their starting keeper (granted, they're trying to get another keeper from South America as well). Any of Cooke, Clark, or Bouna would be an instant upgrade for their current roster.

And as said before, I personally don't think the Rapids should make any of these moves. But seeing as they've traded Beckerman and Cunningham, et al., off in the past for a couple of shin guards, it wouldn't shock me.

20. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Teddy, while I enjoy your work..alot... I think you should read a story called "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" It's interesting as hell. :D

21. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver

In Goff's blog today (under the comments section of the "On the USA Front" post)

"Gomez to Rapids rumor originated with my comment last week that Colorado was the only team I knew of that had expressed interest in trading for Christian and giving him a bigger contract than what DCU was offering. Beyond that, there is no news."

Posted by: Goff | January 20, 2008 11:22 PM

22. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmmm.... Intresting. All I can say is wait and see. Hopefully some sort of announcment will be made soon. Though C. Gomez to Colorado makes more sense than "El Tin" or Crespo:D, and Gomez is S. American. Goff knows what he is talking about. SOOONNNNN hopefully comes about from the FO...

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

So the Rapids actually have something that DCU would take in exchange for Gomez? :confused:

24. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

Cooke would fit in very well with DC. Gomez is still a superstar in this league, but if DC isn't going to give him the 2 year deal he wants then Cooke plus another player would be fair value for him and help both teams.

But that other player would not be Bouna. He's the wrong kind of keeper for the DC system - he's a great athlete with plenty of upside, but lousy positionally.
    You put Christian Gomez into your team, your team is better. Period. The man can win games on his own and often does. Terry Cooke is a great winger - maybe the best pure one in the league - but let's not overvalue him. Gomez would take you guys to another level.

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont

I'm sure Gomez would be an improvement over whoever he would replace on the Rapids. My thinking is this, however. DC is, historically, one of the best collectors of talent in MLS. They also know when to hold them or fold them, so to speak. If they don't think he's worth 2 years, I'm taking their word for it. Now some might say, it's better to have a declining, not worth 2 years, Gomez then what we've got and it's hard to disagree with them. On the other hand, I want the Rapids to be the ones calling the shots and choosing from the "A" pile, not picking through the seconds rack.