Incoming players

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 15, 2008.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Per Garth, contracts have been signed with an American in Germany and an Argentine midfielder. Big surprise, right? Waiting on "player passes".

Also agreement has been made with a Columbian defender. Let the speculation on this one begin.

2. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna wet my pants...things are getting exciting :eek:

Where did you hear Garth talk about this?

3. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He was on Bill Riley's show (althougn Riley wasn't there, but Spence Checketts was).

Now go to the bathroom.

4. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO

Thanks. I need to remember to turn the radio to 700 on Tuesdays.
    Anything else of interest from Garth?

5. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He talked about the draft. Nothing surprising. Said that we should be able to get an impact player at 3. Said that into early 2nd round, alot of players who would be starter material after a year or two. He seemed to indicate that the draft is weak on the top-end, but a little deeper in the middle.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re the Colombian defender, DC United signed one guy (Gonzalo Martinez, who played for Millionarios most recently, is 31, and played for the Colombian NT in 2001 and 2002) and one other is reportedly ready to sign with MLS but the team is undisclosed. Jair Benitez, currently with Deportivo Cali, played right back for the Colombian NT in the 2007 Copa America and is 29. Could he be our guy?

[​IMG]

(not sure which of those guys is Benitez ;))

Thanks to BS poster EstebanLugo for posting the general rumor in the MLS N&A rumors thread. Someone with connections, time to ask?

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Hmmm. In my mind I was sure that this would be a central defender. A left back, and now maybe a right back. This could be right, though. Maybe a central defender is still to come - I assume that we wouldn't be relying on our draft pick to fill this spot. I guess another option is Sturgis or Besagno, although both make me nervous without having a solid veteran player there as plan B.

PS - Any guy that gives Beckham a shove like that is alright in my book.

8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    After doing some research of Spanish online resources (using my vast Spanish skills - aka Babel Fish) I found this interesting article...

http://www.elpais.com.co/paisonline/deportes2003/notas/Enero152008/depor02.html

Sounds like 5 Columbians coming to MLS:

• Gonzalo Martinez - defender, 31, Millionarios (DC)
    • Ivan Trujillo - forward, 25, Deportivo Cali (KC)
    • Luis Cabezas - forward, 21, Deportivo Cali (rumored NYRB)
    • Jamilson Olave - central defender, 26, Deportivo Cali
    • Jair Benitez - right back, 29, Deportivo Cali
    So I think Olave, and Benitez could both be options. I don't know anything about them, but I'd bet on the central back over the right back.

Another article here on BS about Columbians coming to MLS https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644029&highlight=cabezas

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

benetiz sucks... he cant take a hit or flys like 16 feet.... the fact that he has ever wore our yellow shirt brings a tear to my eye....

Olave.... he is great defender, fast , strong but a bit of a brute and sees red at times which is prob why he doesnt start at cali

none of the players u mentioned are starters and werent taken into account this season by their teams, sorry to break it to you guys only good player going to MLS is Gonzalez but at 32 he doesnt have much time left

10. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info.

11. Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    He sounds perfect for RSL.

12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I guess there is a possibility that it isn't one of these players, but I expect that it likely is. Hopefully the price is low (although using an int'l spot is a big "cost"), and we can use them as backup.

13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    id expect either of these player to start if they do come... that is the main reason they are coming... that and the dollars

Olave is very strong, but if he can control his temper he can be a class CB. And deportivo cali is known for great defenders in the past 3 years we had 1 go to Inter Milan Nelson Rivas who is also a brute and Cristian Zapata to Udinese and now Juventus wants him.

Benetiz.... well most the guys on the colombian forum hate him because he is good but is no where near NT quality. He is good at almost everything but the air and it is very fustrating that he takes a little hit and falls to the ground and wants the game to stop for him.

14. Is Atiba coming back to RSL?

15. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he said "great defender". :D

16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Can you imagine him paired with Mantilla? That's a powder keg waiting to explode.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, I bet he lasts longer before his first red card than the comparatively calm Richie Kotschau did last season!

18. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    All time classic moment in RSL history...

That and Pope coming completely unhinged when on of MLS's resident idiots fell for a Ruiz dive and tossed Pope.

Ismitje repped this.
  19. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I gotta say it... sorry, I can't help it - it's my nature ...

I'm actually thinking the FO is doing some good work this offseason - they seem to be getting realistic solid candidates to fill some holes.

The 3 Argentines - good move (this was JK right?)
    Cordoba - seems like a decent move
    Olaves - same as above
    Ian Joy - seems like a good/within budget buy

Are they the best players in the world? No. But this is MLS and we aren't in LA... We're also cash strapped having put a lot of capital into the stadium project.

These seem like the kinds of moves they should be making - are there any gaurantees? No, but I'd rather see a 26 year old Columbian and some Tier B league players than old, battle worn (out) names.

-------------

Note - the fact that we will have several Latino players seems to blow the "latin bias" theory out of the water.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season One? I think that was Ruiz' strike partner, Eddie Johnson. Either way, it was a stinky moment in team history.

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Is Olaves our guy? I'm a little skeptical. But I sure hope it is him rather than the other rumored Colombians coming to the league.

22. ODC117

ODC117 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Orem, UT
    MLS Rumors is reporting that LA is looking to move Chris Albright

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/

What are your thoughts on a draft and trade situation? I think it would add some depth at right back and give us a defender that can go forward and is good in the air. Not to mention the fact that Albright would be ready to go day one.

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Has he recovered from his injury? I would be too concerned about getting another Eskandarian (who never seemed to recover his pre-injury form).

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would intrigue me. Adding Albright on the other side would suddenly have our defense in very good shape.

25. ODC117

ODC117 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Orem, UT
    I pulled this from the LA site:

Albright, 28, will be entering his 10th season in MLS in 2008 and his seventh with the Galaxy. He appeared in just five regular season games in 2007 before suffering a torn right hamstring on May 20, ruling him out for the remainder of the season. The Galaxy right back had recovered enough from his injury in order to participate in all five of the club's postseason friendlies last year. A member of the U.S. National Team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Albright has made 172 career appearances in MLS and has earned 22 caps with the National Team.

It seems that he is match fit, plus there are still 2.5 months to rehab his hamstring before the season opens at the end of march.