2007 UEFA CUP-Villarreal vs. FC Bate 9/20 [R]

Discussion in 'Comunidad Valenciana' started by Pints, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our opponents arrive to challenge Villarreal in the opening round of UEFA Cup matches for the Yellow Submarines.

2. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Apparently the club has worked out an agreement with FC Bate so that we will wear our home (yellow) shirts for both matches and FC Bate will wear their away (blue) shirts. Just some random trivia.

3. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Travelling squad for tomorrow's match:

Keepers
    Viera and Diego Lopez;

Defenders
    Javi Venta, Angel, Fuentes, Cygan, Godín;

Midfield
    Josico, Bruno, Mavuba, Senna, Cani, Cazorla, Pirès, Matías Fernandez;

Strikers
    Tomasson, Rossi and Nihat.

Capdevilla is suspended for accumulation of yellows and Josemi has a minor lingering injury (cannot remember what it is). Franco is out with a slight strain in his right thigh, but should be back for this weekend, or at least by next Wednesday's game.

Any thoughts on the lineup? Godin will start, I feel sure, at left back. I doubt he will put two together in defense for the first time by putting Angel at right back, but I would not be surprised to see him come in for Javi Venta at some point. Really hoping to see Mati or Cani get a start - both deserve it. I think Pires will rest - including Sunday's match, we have 7 matches over three weeks, as we play midweek this week and the next two weeks.

My guess:

Viera
    Javi Venta, Fuentes, Cygan, Godin
    Cazorla, Senna, Mati, Josico
    Tomasson, Rossi

Subs: Angel, Mavuba, Cani.

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Your lineup looks good but depending on if we are leading by a decent margin I think will dictate whether we use our third sub in an offensive or defensive trade-off. Thus I think Javi may see the entire match, and if so, I think Nihat comes on in place of of your Angel sub. Like to see what Mavuba can do with a "poacherlike" combo of Tomasson and Nihat up front.

Other than that, I think you hit the nail on the head.

5. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Well, according to AS.com, there will be a number of changes all throughout the squad. AS reports Pelligrini has put out this lineup (although I am not sure why he would do this ahead of the match like this, so I do not know how legitimate the story is)

Diego Lopez
    Angel (RB) Fuentes Godin Javi Venta (LB)
    Cani Mati Senna Mavuba
    Rossi Tomasson

That is a lot of change for one match. I know the whole team feels pretty well gelled, but I am a little concerned with so much movement in the lineup.

SempreGroc, if you are around, have you heard anything about this?

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know about whether there's any TV for this game?

7. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    We have a big squad for exactly this purpose though, to rest key players. Even though that's a lot of changes that is still a far superior team to FC Bate. And apparently Pellegrini is reminding them of last year's Maribor fiasco to make sure there are no mistakes. I think we'll be fine.

8. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Nihat in minute 5!!!!!!!!

Lineup:
    Diego Lopez
    Angel, Fuentes, Godin, Javi Venta
    Bruno, Cani, Mati, Senna
    Tomasson, Nihat

9. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Senna in minute 17;
    Villarreal 2-0 Bate

10. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Half
    Villarreal 2-0 Bate

11. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Nihat in '49!
    Tomasson in '55!

Villarreal 4-0 Bate

12. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Zhavnerchik pulls one back for BATE in the 67th.

Villarreal 4-1 Bate

13. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Final
    Villarreal 4-1 Bate

Interesting substitution - Mavuba in for Senna in 56'. Thus, Angel, Godin, Mavuba and Diego Lopez all got action, and we got an impressive result.

Vamos Villarreal!

14. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent effort!!

15. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Final Score:

Villarreal: 4 - Beta: 1

Kahveci Nihat scored twice while Marcos Senna and Jon Dahl Tomasson were also on the scoresheet as Spain's Villarreal defeated BATE 4-1.

Congrats to the Villarreal

What a great result.

Lets focus to the League......

Regards
    iwa

16. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    Hi again to all Villarreal supporters.

I took some weeks off to concentrate in my exams and to forget the match against Madrid (it has been a big disappointment for me...) but know I came back with my BATTEries charged.

I went last night to the Madrigal to see the match against Bate and I hope you could see it on TV, especially Senna's goal. If anyone didn't see it, it wasn't too easy as it looks like. We were lucky scoring soon (NIHAT IS BACK, great :D) but Bate appeared to be a good team, especially in attack, with young and fast players that run a lot along all the match. The difference was the quality level of our players. Great match of Cani, Matias and Senna. Bruno made a good match too but he still looks like he want to do more things than he can to demostrate Pellegrini what he is able to do. Nihat was the same that past season in Copa del Rey against Castellon, he didn't do a great match but he was 100% effective scoring. Good Godin and great Diego Lopez stopping a non-exixtent penalty. Finally, Mavuba still seems not to be well adapted to spanish soccer, but he is young and have all our confidence.

Well, I think that result is almost a ticket to the following round. Now we have to think about Real Murcia, a new team on the 1st division that still haven't lost a match.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Thanks for the PBP Maddi and the report from Madrigal Sempre!
    Great result to start off this competition.
    Is there an away goals rule in the UEFA Cup?

Onward and Upward Villarreal!