FSC/FSE Megathread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Girlbinti, Dec 28, 2006.

1. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Re: Are EPL games on FSC really "live"?

well those people should not be relying on fox soccer channel for their business then. none of US here in THIS forum are doing that. it's just people complaining because their free beer didn't come in a frosty mug. the 3 minute delay also helps when there are satellite problems, and so they can display the real formation the teams are playing in. also, it may help get the right number of ads in to each hour. they show a bit of pre-game, an ad break, and then the game starts. commercials suck yeah, but whatever. YOU GET 8 EPL GAMES ON TV A WEEK THERE. we get 3 at most here. i'd gladly take a delay.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously? I thought the UK would have more. With PremPlus, Skysports 1 and 2, ITV, BBC, and UKTV, how do you only get 3 games?

3. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

Easy, because by law, they can't show the BST 1500, or EST 1000 game on TV. That would have hurt the attendance.

Do you think ITV or BBC can fork out serious dough to broadcast the Premiership live? It's all pay TV business for the top leagues in Europe. As a matter of fact, I don't think you can get any la Liga, Serie A, or Bundesliga on terrestrial TV either. It's the Romanian league or Serbian league that you can get a lot on their domestic terrestrial TV...

BBC and ITV can only get things like the FA Cup, highlight shows, and, as mandated by FIFA, the World Cup.

4. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think MLS is on BBC 5 sometimes. Also, the BBC has Match of the Day don't they?

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London

MOTD is the highlight show now.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not entirely true. They showed the lineups and anthem prior to USA games and the final. I think they showed a few more anthems as well, once the second stage started. ABC's 30 minutes (ESPN and ESPN2 had 5 minutes) of pregame certainly helped.

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think they heard a lot of complaints and started doing it. Also Univision had pregame for all matches. See comment below. It was not just about anthems and lineups.

I'm sorry, but I found Musburger pregame to be more about things like "Jesse Owens winning gold medal in Hitler's Olympic Stadium in Berlin", "Nuremberg, the place where Nazi trials took place" rather than the actual match to take place. I preferred Univision pregame a lot better.

8. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

MLS is on in a condensed game format, the ESPN2 game of the week, on Five which is available over the air (not associated with BBC) friday mornings at 4 AM.

EPL games are on Sky Sports/Prem Plus PPV (3 matches a week, usually 2 on sky sports and one on prem plus PPV for £7 per match) only available on pay TV. FA Cup games are split between sky and BBC which is available over the air. this weekend there are 3 FA cup games on BBC and 3 on sky. Champions league games of non-british teams are on sky sports. british teams are on ITV1 which is available over the air. Uefa cup games are on eurosport and Five. Dutch games are available in a condensed highlight format, as are argentine games on Five in the wee hours of weekdays. 2 spanish games are on sky sports every week. the games featuring barcelona and real madrid every weekend. match of the day which is a highlight show with high tech analysis and knowledgable pundits is on BBC whenever more than 3 premiership games are played that day. Football First is sky sports version of that. they condense all of the premiership games of the day down to 90 minutes each (with commercial breaks and no extended halftime, plus a bit of analysis afterwards). You watch it by hitting the red button on the remote for "match choice" you can watch any of the matches of that day in that format, and can switch to any of the other games, in real time, as if they were all being played simultaneously. I really like football first.

All in all, forgetting what I just said about Football First, there's not nearly as much soccer on tv here as there is there. I don;t know where german or italian games are aired (if at all) and the south american leagues (as far as I can tell) are not aired at all aside from highlight shows.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That Sky thing where you select the matches sounds pretty cool. I wish we had that here. When I was in Britain when the summer games were going on in Athens I used that red button to choose what I wanted to watch. It enables people to watch the event they want to watch. Wtf is wrong with you NBC? :D

10. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

As I said many times before, America is a paradise for following foreign soccer. This is the testimony.

Only Real Madrid and Barcelona every weekend on UK TV? what about A. Madrid? Sevilla? Valencia?

Just this coming weekend, these are the games available on GolTV:

A. Madrid X Gimnastic
    R. Zaragoza X Sevilla
    Villareal X Valencia

U.S.A. is definitely the place to follow soccer for the diehards, albeit it's not on ESPN2. Those who know when exactly Deportivo X Real Madrid, or Villareal X Valencia will be played can watch the game. It's meant for people who are following the league (i.e. immigrants who followed soccer before they came to the U.S.). It's not meant for Joe American who channel surf on his basic analog cable, stumble across a la Liga match on ESPN/ESPN2, in order to fall in love with soccer.

It's a shame that British's coverage of other top leagues in Europe lags behind the American's.

11. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston

yeah football first rules, but also realize it's not live, it starts at 9 PM i think, and all the matches are over by 7. it's a lot harder to avoid the score getting spoiled here.

I've taken this thread way off topic, but I am just trying to put into perspective. even in the land of football, it could be better. no coverage is perfect. and for the sheer variety of what's available, a 3 minute delay is a small price to pay.

Yeah and another thing about the spanish coverage... they use studio commentators and don't take the commentator feed from the stadium, because they brand everything with their own Sky Sports talent, who in my opinion are inferior to Paul Breen Turner (but better than the guy i refer to as "the annoying guy." Remind anyone of a certain american soccer channel?

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005

I get cranky when there's no parking near the entrance at Wallmart , and have to settle for the 3rd row.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was going to say something about who cares until I saw Oliver's comment about buying and selling futures. Damn! I'm way too conservative with my money to try something like that.

14. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
  15. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Re: Fox Soccer Channel On the Web!!! Watch matches on your PC!!!

How up todate is this? I clicked on the ESPN and it had woody paige on cold pizza and he left that show about a month ago

16. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

Repped!!!

17. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY

The FSC feed is live though! Is this legal?!

18. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg

Thats what Im wondering too. Seems to good to be true. So Ill enjoy it while it last.

19. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality

The CNN news channel seems to be specially designed for WebTV...is this the infamous GoogleTV test?

Don't know...but fun to watch Fox Soccer. Bottom line they are still getting the commercials in so thier advertisers are happy...great idea for them. The only losers are the cable companies and those of us who would like a big picture with better definition.

Just watched the end of the Chivas Concacaf Club Championships match...can't wait to see the Dynamo and UTD games.

20. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Thanks. Repped.

21. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This would so wonderful for me at work!

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holy Cr@p This is great

23. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Repped.

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amazing!

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Awsome, I'm checking it out and, very odd!!...does anyone hear who the commentators where for the Arsenal-Wigan game?? LOL!! These were not professional commentators!! They are yelling!!!