Adebayor v Van Persie

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by johan neeskens, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    :rolleyes: Hint: go and post on those then.

Look you've made your (one and only) point, have been rebuffed by everyone else and keep on muttering about it, don't you wonder why you're annoying people now ?

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You'll be pleased to know that this is my last post ever on this Arsenal board. I hope you'll be less pleased to know that BBC's 606, notorious for their censorship, currently allows three subjects on the Adebayor Van Persie discussion in their premiership section. Then again don't go and read those, it might burst your bubble. You know, the cosy bubble you're all in making each other believe that you're representative of general Arsenal opinions.

Goodbye.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that Adebayor and Van Persie ahould be used in different games. When you're playing Bolton or Balckburn or someone away, Adebayor is your man. He's big and strong and will give as good as he gets, Van Persie can be a bit lightweight in these games. When you are playing a side who want to play a more technical game, Van Persie is what's required, a more controlled, clinical player with a great strike to boot.

I think Van Persie should have played on Saturday, we were walking all over Villa, although I'm sure Wenger left him on the bench because of his involvement in the international last week. I don't think it's that he's not fit (in the sense of an injury), just that he may have been a bit tired after a few games very early in the season (including the first leg of the Champions League qualifier) and a short off season.

When everyone is fit and ready I would expect to see Van Persie playing significantly more games than Adebayor, say two-thirds Van Persie and one-third Adebayor with the one not starting always being on the bench.

4. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So this thread can be closed ?!

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. With regard to the reasons van Persie started on the bench which you listed, I would only add that it is more than likely that Wenger intends to start him today and thus wanted him rested.

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read those bbc boards all the time not to mention AWIMB and other Arsenal-specific boards. Many certainly have a higher noise to signal ratio than you'll find on most Bigsoccer club forums (outside of NSR-stuff). Each fits a different style of discussion/poster. I have no problem with you bringing up the question of why RVP didn't start on Saturday. However, your failure to counter the many good reasons people gave for Wenger's decision for that particular game, repeating the same point over and over again, and your fact-free "Arsenal will lose RVP" angle doesn't exactly make for a good discussion.

RVP was clearly feeling the effects of his international duty. I'd also argue that RVP is far from an "established player" at Arsenal as he still has much to do to make a definite claim to be Henry's #1 partner. RVP has scored some great goals for us but he is quite inconsistent game to game, has looked a bit lightweight against certain clubs, and his goals to game ratio is certainly not what it should be for a player with his obvious talents. When you add the time he's missed with injuries last season, it seems a bit silly to claim that he must start every Prem game.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As you a) don't insult me and b) don't scream about trolling I will answer.

Van Persie is an established player in the Dutch national team. He does not have to fight for his place, the right wing is his. In short, he has nothing to prove to Van Basten. Van Basten in the past has shown that he has no problems resting players who need it, he's in fact famed for experimenting to the extreme in friendlies and other established players don't ever play the full 90 minutes in a friendly. So why then, if Van Persie was feeling even slightly off, did he still play for the entire friendly? Again I find it hard to believe the 'he's not fit' argument.

The original point of this thread was to ask why Wenger favoured Van Persie over Adebayor. Which is a legitimate question. It is also legitimate to worry about Van Persie leaving IF he doesn't get enough playing time. Having a starting place as a forward for Holland guarantees you're much in demand. An unhappy Ruud was chased after by two European top clubs, Real tried to snap up Robben even. Again, another legitimate point.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. Accusing me of trolling however is absurd.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there's much danger of Van Persie leaving at the moment, he's trying to establish himself in the Arsenal first-team right now. If he was to be a permanent substitute then yes, I could see where there might be an argument, however, that is far from the case at present.

I think most people round here think that Van Persie is the better player and all things being equal, would like to see him partner Henry on a regular basis, although at a club like Arsenal, he could never rest assured that he will start every game.

9. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whoa .. i read through that again and tried to look for an insult but didnt find anything other than "silly". Anyway, Rudd got screwed by SAF, hardly got playing time in the second half of the season. SO that could be a reason.
    RvP will be a major player for Arsenal this season as we need to develop some one else who can score goals in Henry's absence ..
    And about the text i put in bold, like everyone said RvP was tired because he played a full game 3 days prior to the match. Even Henry played, but i'd have Henry over RvP (obviously). And Ade was fully fit for this game.
    Do you want to start your season with tired players or with players who are fit ?? Forget about the result. Ade was great in that game. RvP looked tired even when he came on as a sub. He didnt do much other than some passing. He was pressing the defence but he wasn't in a position to do much.

10. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    You ought to know that there have been a lot of 'personalities' in the dutch side in the recent past, causing a fair bit of friction. Van Basten has dropped a lot of the big names (partly to get rid of this friction) and brought in a lot of younger players. If I was RvP, (who has had a history of being 'difficult' at youth level) I'd hardly want to make a name for myself as someone who wants to pick his international games. Instead I'd knuckle down and play whenever my coach asked me. He's only been established fairly recently and I can't see him going against his coach.
    Don't worry about RvP leaving, he'll certainly get plenty of games...

11. sixfive

sixfive New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Your argument would have more merit if Ade had played poorly, rather than almost scoring twice, and RVP had come on and played impressively. However, the opposite happened, so I'm not sure why you are so surprised by Wenger's decision.
    In any case, RVP will probably start today, so maybe that will make you feel better.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you continue to ignore the fact that based on him having played the entire friendly match and on the theory that Wenger most likely will start him for today's CL qualifier.....it made sense to rest him during the middle of that span....i.e., on Saturday. Why is that so difficult to understand?

13. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i dont care what he brings..... if he is a striker, and his name is not dennis bergkamp, he better be scoring goals.

14. sixfive

sixfive New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Washington, DC

It can't be clearer than that..

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It became obvious in that first league game that you need him! You completely dominated the game but you were missing that extra spark of genius that even a tired Van Persie can bring. Leave him on for 90 minutes and he'll always do something for you.

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    how can you tell anything from ONE league match??

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I can't. I just find it surprising he was left out, so shoot me.

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    oh okay. no need to get defensive JN, just asking.
    i was shouting to bring him on at halftime... but, im sure van persie will be a major player for us this season.

19. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ive had enough. It's been explained by everyone to you why he was left out. You are just completly ignoring the facts and what Wenger said in press conferances and what we are all telling you. Put another post on this forum that keeps on at the moronic "point" you are going on about and I'll ban you and Yellow card you for trolling, ignoring the T.o.S. and flaming.

20. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Just out of curiousity, do you have boy-love for our promising young Dutch striker ? Do you lie awake at night thinking of his strong muscular thighs ?
    Would you like to run your hands through his dark hair ? Would you like to bring him breakfast in bed ? Have you ever been to a Turkish Bath ?

Just asking you understand...

21. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Anyone interested in seeing a Neeskens vs. Bluedaddy fight over v. Persie?

22. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You write those books that have Fabio on the cover don't you? :D

Seriously, this discussion is pretty silly. The guy had just played a match and so he was a sub. When we didn't use Henry due to a lack of fitness coming off the WC, no one threw a fit.

Wenger likes RvP (maybe not in a "lie awake at night thinking about his strong muscular thighs" kind of way but...) and he will play him but in this case the decision is horribly self-evident.

I am a bit more curious as to what Walcott's performance means for our midfield mix...

23. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't undertsand his problem with RVP not starting. He has no strong argument and it's obvious he didn't start because of the game on Weds. night. He'll start tonight and he will be an Arsenal player for a long time.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    "As the TV camera zoomed in, she gazed longingly at the lean, firmly muscled Arsenal striker, her mind wandering back to those warm summer evenings when they had shared hours of unbridled passion. Little did she realise that their paths would soon cross again...."

Yeah, how did you guess :D

Thats why I went off at a tangent!

Walcott's going to be happy with just sub appearances and the occasional start in cup games this season

25. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States