Adebayor v Van Persie

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by johan neeskens, Aug 23, 2006.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Sorry but I seriously do not understand why the latter is benched for the former. I might be slightly biased but along with Henry, Van Persie is the most naturally gifted player you've got. What is going on Mr Wenger.

2. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    If you're commenting on the 1st game, Adebayor looked a lot sharper than RvP, but that was probably down to match fitness and mid week int. friendlies. RvP is a very good player, but Adebayor is also very good. He actually looked very good from what I saw.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm sorry but Adebayor has yet to impress me. And Van Persie looked pretty fit to me in the friendly v Ireland the other week.

4. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    THe first game, i thought Ade was too unlucky .. he had 2 great shots on target with some good ball control. And RvP wasn't fit anyway .. Maybe we'll see both of them equally this season.

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

The reason Van Persie was on the bench was because of the reason he played 94 minutes of football in a friendly after a very short of season. He played in the World Cup, had 3 weeks off and he was training before playing in Zagreb. He needs rest and so Arsene had to rest him. Adebayor actually along with Freddy was our most lively player on the park on Saturday. Please watch the game, you will see Van Persie wasn't fit enough and that Adebayor had a fair few shots.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I thought Arsenal were passing the ball to death in their first league game. You're missing the surprise element, i.e. Van persie.

Seriously I find it criminal to leave him out, if only for the paying fans.

7. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    You want to arrest Arsene Wenger ?!!?:eek: I know you're biased, but Ricks right.
    Both will get a lot of time this season. You might see RvP start tonight actually...

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's just that if Van Persie gets another season of being on the bench a lot, you'll lose him. There are plenty of clubs who would be happy to snap up an unhappy Van Persie.

9. Skizz

Skizz Guest

You're FAR too biased to put forward a quality argument here. Why start a player who is far from fit when you have a perfectly able and fit replacement? You say that Arsenal "passed the ball to death" against Villa and there was no surprise element. Well, if you are not going to pass the ball to death on the floor, you play it in the air. And who is Arsenal's target man in the air? Who will win more headers? Who was purchased for the purpose of offering something different to the team as opposed to knocking the ball along the floor for 90 minutes a week? That's right, EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR.

Van Persie is not fit, so maybe your argument will have more legs when he is fit and he is on the bench (if things stay the way they are). Until then, read the points you are making before posting as you just contradicted yourself.

10. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ok, Ok ,Ok enough. If Van Persie had of started I assure you the sizable majority of Arsenal fans that know and understand football would of been annoyed. We need a fully fit Van Persie, not a half fit and injured one.

Van Persie is not unhappy and is not going to leave Arsenal. He loves the club and really enjoys playing for us. He got last season 38 games. Started 21 and came on for 17. For a youngster at a big club - thats not bad. He has no complaints and will obviously get more games now Dennis has retired. So please don't go down this route any more..............

11. Skizz

Skizz Guest

*Rick proceeds to take the slip road off the highway of arguments*

:D

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Assuming this isn't simply a complaint post/thread it seems to be about one of your favourite player not getting a start (based on your unwillingness to even acknowledge the possible explanations in the three posts responding to you), I'll chime in (and offer my apology):

I agree with the above comments that, given Van Persie's shortened offseason and recent participation in a friendly, his place on the bench instead of the starting XI is quite acceptable, if not logical.

On a slight tangent, I don't see a necessity for Player1-v-Player2 fight. I love the fact that we have 2 different partners for Henry that brings entirely different things to the table. Adebayor seems to play quite differently than the usual group forwards we have employed in recent time in that he does not seem to mind being the presence in the box to be played off of (at least that I noticed in the Villa game). If Ljungberg was starting on the right, I actually really like him up there since he would give someone for Freddie to run off of. He's nowhere the finisher that Van Persie is but I hope that is something he continues to improve on. Van Persie, on the other hand, gives us interesting width on the right side, in similar manner to the way Henry provides width on the left when Pires cut inside. If Hleb was to start on the right, I really prefer to see Van Persie up front since, with Hleb's tendency to cut inside, Van Persie (along with Eboue) can then provides the attacking width on the right side.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    First of all I doubt that he isn't fit. If a player is not 100% fit, he withdraws from meaningless international friendlies. That's how it goes in international football, a player is almost always more loyal to the party that pays him (i.e. his club).

I have a feeling that Wenger feels Adebayor fits into the side better than Van Persie. Which is fair enough were it not for the fact that Van Persie is of such class that many other clubs would be happy to have him. Following an excellent world cup, Van Persie now is an established player. You can't mess established players about.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    By the way, Arsenal are my favourite club in England, I want Van Persie to stay so this really isn't some class of Arsenal attack. I'm just worried that some other club will snap him up.

15. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Henry doesnt fit into our play, maybe we would have sold him (stop pointing the guns at me ). Similarly, when we play different teams, Ade and RvP are used depending on Wenger. And RvP's not going to leave Arsenal for a long time i think. ANd with DB10 out, and with enough players injured already, both of these guys will play enough. But i'm still impresses with Ade from the first game, nice control to take the ball past the keeper, but that Melburg had to put his leg. $hit.

16. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    You've had your fun, now please run along. Wenger didn't want Van Persie to play in the International. Unfortunatly it isn't his decision. I's Van Bastens.

Van Persie will not be snapped up and so please quit this or I might be forced to see it as trolling and trying to incite a argument............:)

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Good God you're a sensitive lad aren't you. I wasn't aware that this was a self-congratulating board where no criticism of the almighty Mr Wenger is allowed.

18. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    It isn't. What it is, is a board where no unfair criticism will not be defended.

Wenger was perfectly correct to start with Adebayor on saturday, which is what everyone but you seems to agree with. Maybe there's a reason for you being the sole voice of disagreement, maybe you're just plain wrong, and maybe you're just repeating the same argument, and maybe you're just repeating the same argument.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh for heaven's sake, look at any England-based Arsenal forum and check what they're all discussing. Hint: it's something to do with the fans being unhappy with the Adebayor Van Persie situation.

20. vanGobbel redded

vanGobbel redded Red Card

Jun 17, 2006
    Amsterdam
    1- Yes johan you are incredibly biased. But at the same time so simple that you felt the need to put in a "slightly". Get a grip

2-RvP: Inconsistent.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep mentioning this friendly against Ireland and how van Persie played so well in it. Why can you not understand this friendly is also the very reason why van Persie did not start on Saturday?

Wenger doesn't want to burn out one of our better players less than a few weeks into the season. With the two extra matches for CL qualifying and all the cup matches.....van Persie will be given tons of starting opportunities this season and we all expect great things from him.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Again I thought this was a discussion forum where things get discussed. Yet here I am, an Arsenal supporter since the days of 1-0 to the Arsenal, daring to criticise Wenger's decision to leave Van Persie on the bench and I'm being told off and insulted for it whereas it's the main thing on the minds of the Arsenal season ticket holders I know at the moment. The absurdity of it all.

23. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, its really very simple.
    Didn't RvP come on at a later stage ? Why so late ? Coz he was tired from the internationals ..
    Why did Ade start ? Coz he was training for a long time and was here much before RvP got back from his holiday.
    Who's a better player / who has to start regularly ? Thats for AW to decide (though i still think Ade was much better in the first game than the previous season)
    Wat are the fans being worried about the RvP - Ade situation? i dont know but I'm more worried about our ACole - Gallas, Reyes problem

24. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I think Johan needs to do some slurping from Gus's milk bowl

25. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    It is not the main thing on the minds of Arsenal season ticket holders. Most supported Wengers decision. I had a hour of free time so allowed this. Now quit trolling. If you want to post here, fine - but you've come on here to wind people up. Im bored now, so quit it.