Bradley: Arena or another US coach - no foreign coaches

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimB4Last, Jul 5, 2006.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/522576.html

Bradley = Jeff Bradley, of course.;)

Lots of filler in the article's first half; second half is more interesting, although I disagree with much of what Bradley says. Three excerpts:

----------------------------

"U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati should not be in any rush to decide who the next coach should be. If it's not Arena, that is. And as important as the head coach is going to be, so will be the supporting staff. The braintrust that will preside over the 2010 qualifying campaign has a lot to decipher. They need to have a plan, of course, but they'll also have to be capable of thinking on the fly."

Still, if Arena desires another run with the U.S., it probably should be his decision whether to stay or not.:eek: :( :mad: The U.S. coach needs to know the American player. Needs to know MLS. Even needs to know what is coming through the collegiate ranks.

There's a lot of buzz around the game that a foreign coach is what the U.S. needs to get to "the next level." But is a foreign coach going to be able to learn the intricacies of the American soccer system in time for qualifying? Probably not.
    -----------------------

Assuming Arena does leave, and accepting that a foreign coach cannot "learn the intricacies of the American soccer system in time for qualifying, does any US coach fit the bill? I wonder if Jeff Bradley has someone in mind ...

2. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Can someone please explain to me what is so complicated about US soccer that a foreign coach (like the ones that keep succeeding in the WC) could not figure it out?

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The USSF.

4. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    I explain: MLS has no pro-rel
    College soccer is a factor
    USL is a lower division, but not related 2 MLS
    MLS is played when foreign teams do not play
    and yes USSF is ofetn times completely moronic.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm a big Jeff Bradley fan but it needs to be pointed out that in advocating for "another US coach" he ain't exactly objective since one of the leading "other US coaches" happens to be his big brother.

6. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    That's why Klinsmann is so obvious..he knows the system here intimately...and probably has dual citizenship....

7. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i really don't think that a foreign coach is going to be so confused by the differences in american soccer that they will be unable to do their job.

i think bradley wants the job and his quotes are a good way of not sounding like he is lobbying for a friend's (Arena's) job and doesn't get passed over by an "outsider".

8. Skurwiel007

Skurwiel007 Member

Jun 12, 2004
    Bradley? Who is this idiot? Arena must go.Period :mad: Klins next US coach Period. :D

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I have two requirements for our next coach.

1. He should speak English.
    2. He shouldn't give a flying uknowwhat about our system.

10. Skurwiel007

Skurwiel007 Member

Jun 12, 2004
    What :eek: I didn't know that.What a skunk :mad:

11. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    US System shmistem , I don't buy it. Thats just internal talk so that the job stays within the small American coach pool....

I can see it now....

USSOCCER:
    "Welcome Mr. Scolari! Let me tell you about our US program....Bla bla bla bla bla...bla bla bla....bla bla...."

SCOLARI:
    "What!!??? Oh no way , I can't grasp the US Soccer system, its too complex for my mind...I quit!!! American soccer is too complex for some foreigner like me to understand!!! You need an American or a German that lives in America to understand all this complex stuff!! Im goin back to where things are simple like in Brazil, Portugal or Saudi Arabia"

Get off fantasy Island people...there is nothing complex about the US System that a competant coach can't get a handle of with a decent debriefing.

12. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Haha! Great post...

on another note: I had no idea Jeff Bradley was related to Bob Bradley. No wonder he wants Bruce gone!

13. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Reading between the lines it seems that people are most concerned about a foreign coach being familiar enough with our player pool, the sources of future talent and having the ability to interact with the "developers" of that talent comfortably.

I give a foreign coach 2-3 months max before he figures it all out. Maxium. It really ain't that tough. Further, he'd have assistants for the sole purpose of aiding him in the transition - this includes introducing him to players here, getting him up the learning curve about the programs and even help him scout MLS/USL games.

People who truly believe that we possess something unique and impossible to comprehend here are to full of US soccer to get an unbiased perspective. They're also the ones that thought we'd run through the Czech Republic and Ghana with no problem prior to the World Cup. Reason: they're ignorant to soccer in the rest of the world.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's dumb. Would a company hire on the same basis? Not a successful one.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That middle paragraph is just about right. Every country's system has its own quirks, and our sytem will take some time for a foreign coach to adjust to. But not a lot of time - not with the right support.

And we need someone to come in here and look at our talent with fresh eyes and manage the team with a fresh approach. Please don't give me that "if it ain't broke" BS - it's 'broke' alright.

Regarding Jeff Bradley, I forget exactly want the familial relationship (to coach Bob Bradley) is: brother, cousin, nephew, but I think in a story of this sort the relationship should be expressed. Not in every story Jeff Bradley ever writes, of course, but why leave yourself open to speculation regarding a 'hidden agenda?'

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a matter of knowing any US system however you want to define that.

The key is understanding how to deal with and improve middling talent.

Some coaches are better teachers, while others are better at, or have spent their careers, motivating only top quality talent.

We should look for more of the former and avoid becoming star-struck.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's not broke. It was one time thing, bad luck, etc.:rolleyes:

You can see the usual BS crew already trying to slowly change the perception
    of what happened. It wasn't that bad. Take a step back. BA really wasn't that poor, and so on.

It's broke, and has been, but I really get the feeling we just have too few people at the highest levels who can see or make the proper changes, or at least attempt to.

The Jeff Bradley article is par for the course. Let the spin begin.
    The US Soccer Teamsters covering their backs and their buddies.

Another coach form outside the family could never evaluate our talent properly or coach here. I guess people who grew up with the game in real international, everyday pro environment would be overmatched by the stupidity of college rules I guess:rolleyes: Yeah, our US ranks ooze with international caliber understanding and experience, whether from the coaching aspect or player aspect. Hey, learning soccer in the 70's and 80's here in the US makes you a genuis.

I hope it is being written because of family realtions because if it isn't it is truely disturbing for our games future. Too many cluelss people in charge.

18. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    excellent question. and could anyone explain to me what has been so great about this supposed system? wouldn't a new coach from another country just have to hire someone who works in the business....someone cheap....a william and mary scout or a university of portland assistant coach??

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Does this site have any standards of journalistic ethics? There's no way this should have been published.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Again, my feeling is that certain articles require 'full disclosure,' and this was one of them. Bob Bradley is one of a very few US coaches qualified to coach the USMNT. Jeff Bradley, here advocating for a US replacement (as opposed to a foreign replacement) for Bruce Arena, assuming Arena leaves, should have disclosed that he is Bob Bradley's brother.

------------------

{From FindArticles.com}

So, just who is Bob Bradley? He is the oldest of three brothers who have made their mark in the sports world. Scott Bradley, the coach of the Princeton baseball team, is a former major league catcher with the New York Yankees, Seattle Mariners, Chicago White Sox, and Cincinnati Reds. Jeff Bradley is a feature writer for "ESPN The Magazine."

21. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Great post. Right on target. Especially the last line.

I love it when some BS Posters that probably started watching soccer 10 years ago when they followed their High School team around Small Town USA try to tell others that have followed International soccer for 30 years what is right and wrong in soccer.

For how many years did these Arena lovers praise him as the saviour of US Soccer? As the next coming of Jesus....so where are they now? Bruce was a flop....a flop that got real lucky in 02 when South Korea saved his arse in the last minute of the Portugal game.

Bottom line...Arena Lovers were wrong..the few that stood up a critisized Arena and others like Claudio Reyna were right. Nothing like time to show who is write...who is wrong.

So Ill say it again:

Get another US Boy Scout as coach and we will continue to not be successful at the WC.

Get Klinsmann and we have a better chance but still a Big gamble due to his limited resume.

Get Scolari (or someone along those lines) and you can start thinking WC Quarterfinals again.

22. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I agree. The new coach doesn't have to be familiar with our system ahead of time, although if he isn't he DOES have to be willing to accept advice from people who've spent years working with the USSF, and would probably need to have an American or MLS assistant (who he would defer to on, for instance, WCQ venue selection).

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the interest of fairness and to avoid being accused of a conflict of interest, Jeff Bradley should have disclosed that he is the brother of Bob Bradley, a possible successor to Bruce Arena, AND that he is the uncle of Michael Bradley, a member of the US nat player pool who is Bob Bradley's son.

What's so hard for a professional writer to disclose possible conflict of interest information?

24. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most important thing the next coach needs to understand is that CONCACAF qualification is not a walk in the park.

25. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    You don't need to know the national system to be able to find the best XI. Just find someone capable of putting the best XI in the best formation for each game, and we're all set.